'Ben Hogan's Magical Device...'

'Ben Hogan's Magical Device...'

January 19th, 2010, 2:09 am #1

I noticed a book on Amazon titled 'Ben Hogan's Magical Device: The Real Secret to Hogan's Swing Finally Revealed'. Looking through the previews it seems as though the 'magical device' is Bertholy

Interesting.

Peter

January 19th, 2010, 2:06 pm #2

explains Hogans move as a form of the Stack and Tilt without the Tilt. He performed the lateral slide movement DURING the BS, not after reaching the top of the BS as is taught by most. All he had to do was rotate the left hip to start the DS. The weight at the top of the BS is predominately on the left foot as in the S&T instuction. He could go at it as fast as he wanted with the pivot without the lateral side since it had already been done during the BS. Very effective for a pivot driven swing. No reference to Bertholy mechanics. The book has been discussed at length on several forums with some excellent analysis.

January 19th, 2010, 2:27 pm #3

I noticed a book on Amazon titled 'Ben Hogan's Magical Device: The Real Secret to Hogan's Swing Finally Revealed'. Looking through the previews it seems as though the 'magical device' is Bertholy

Interesting.

Peter
Is this a new book ?

January 19th, 2010, 2:56 pm #4

explains Hogans move as a form of the Stack and Tilt without the Tilt. He performed the lateral slide movement DURING the BS, not after reaching the top of the BS as is taught by most. All he had to do was rotate the left hip to start the DS. The weight at the top of the BS is predominately on the left foot as in the S&T instuction. He could go at it as fast as he wanted with the pivot without the lateral side since it had already been done during the BS. Very effective for a pivot driven swing. No reference to Bertholy mechanics. The book has been discussed at length on several forums with some excellent analysis.
I got my titles mixed up. What I mentioned above is in reference to "The Final Missing Piece of Ben Hogan's Secrete Puzzle" by V.J Trolio, 2007. Magical Device was published in 2009 and a good read if you are a rotary swinger vs a hitter. Some good explanation of how Hogan pronated and supinated. Most agree on a couple of the Hogan forums that it applies more to a "Swinger" (pitch loading) rather that a true "Hitter" who uses "punch" loading.
If you are a Hogan student, as I have been for the past four years, the Final Missing Piece is the better read. Some great film frames I'd not seen before. Excellant analysis and well documented evidence by a PGA tour pro and instructor. Also some well documented physics and geometric support for the angular momentum aspect of his swing.

Sorry for the mix-up.

January 19th, 2010, 7:20 pm #5

What exactly do you mean by this ?

( Swinger" (pitch loading) rather that a true "Hitter" who uses "punch" loading )

I guess i am not sure what qualifies as a hitter or Swinger? If you are leading with your left arm or lead arm is that considered a swinger, and if you are hitting more of a right hand or trail hand ?

January 19th, 2010, 8:29 pm #6

Most of the weight looks to be back on the trail foot to me... Also looking at frames that I have of Hogan's swing there is a good 5 inches of hip slide forward to start the downswing.

Regards, Herbert

January 19th, 2010, 10:57 pm #7

Why did Hogan have an extra spike installed on his trail shoe?

You said -
"he performed the lateral slide movement DURING the BS, not after reaching the top of the BS as is taught by most. All he had to do was rotate the left hip to start the DS. The weight at the top of the BS is predominately on the left foot as in the S&T instuction"
Ben is dead, so only he knows for sure, but this isn't what we see here, unless you can lift your heel like he does and still have the weight predominantly on your lead foot. The hips haven't turned or slid either. Stills from three different Hogan era's:

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

January 20th, 2010, 12:11 am #8

Most of the weight looks to be back on the trail foot to me... Also looking at frames that I have of Hogan's swing there is a good 5 inches of hip slide forward to start the downswing.

Regards, Herbert
plenty of hip slide at the start of the DS:

BTW, what's up with Network54? It's been painfully slow or completely unavailable for a few weeks now.

January 20th, 2010, 2:33 am #9

I've not seen any performance or availability problems. The problems must be somewhere else in your path to the server.

Peter

January 20th, 2010, 2:43 am #10

Why did Hogan have an extra spike installed on his trail shoe?

You said -
"he performed the lateral slide movement DURING the BS, not after reaching the top of the BS as is taught by most. All he had to do was rotate the left hip to start the DS. The weight at the top of the BS is predominately on the left foot as in the S&T instuction"
Ben is dead, so only he knows for sure, but this isn't what we see here, unless you can lift your heel like he does and still have the weight predominantly on your lead foot. The hips haven't turned or slid either. Stills from three different Hogan era's:

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
that state that Hogan's wieght was predominantly on his lead foot at the top of his backswing. None of the objective evidence I've seen supports this position and I've not seen any objective evidence from the supporters of this position.

Hogan says: "The left knee breaks in to the right, the left foot rolls in to the right on the inside part of the sole, and what weight there is on the left leg (emphasis added by me) rides on the inside ball of the foot." [page 74 of 'Five lessons']

This description is consistent with the objective evidence I've seen.

Peter