Beat my best score by 1. How can that be?

Beat my best score by 1. How can that be?

August 10th, 2009, 10:31 pm #1

I played Sunday on a course I know quite well. But, I only hit 5 fairways, no birdies, no one putts, and no chip ins. In the end, I beat my best by a stroke and carded an 84. I keep adding up the score and I always come up with the 84. Very strange because it feels like it should be a 94.

btw, I signed up on Trahan's site after reading from a suggestion posted here. I watched the 10 free videos, played using his suggestion for the first time, and beat my best score by one. Great Irons/hybrid results! Driver... not so much.

gsw

August 15th, 2009, 5:51 am #2

The game of golf is all about the score. If you are scoring better then you are doing what you need to do. Just keep doing whatever it takes to make a better score.

Stan

August 16th, 2009, 12:47 am #3

These past few weeks, I have been am playing my best rounds. I shot an 83 on Wednesday and 81 today (Saturday). So, I guess it is not a fluke but the Trahan system fits me very well. I need to straightened out my drives a little, though. But my iron play has been "lights out".

As I mention in the past, I have some back pain. This led me to the PPGS (Trahan) methodology.

August 18th, 2009, 6:31 pm #4

I have made a few mods to my swing based on reading Trahan's stuff. I moved closer to the ball and made my swing much more upright and feeling straight back and thru. I bent my clubs a couple of degrees upright to help with this. I am still using my own version of SS otherwise. The best part is that I am hitting the ball straight up the stick like I have not done for many years. It is a good feeling...

I did find something out that would apply to HSS also. I found that if the take away is done so that the clubhead remains outside the hands then lead wrist stays in a good position and the hooks disappear. I figured out that if I want to a low snap hook all I have to do is bow the lead wrist at the top a bit and if I want to to slice all I have to do is cup the lead wrist. I know that this is common knowledge but it never really worked for me in the past like it is now.

At any rate it is really fun to line up and know that the ball just might go right where I am aiming it.

Regards, Herbert

August 19th, 2009, 12:00 am #5

Herbert, how can you be doing Trahan and SS? I looked at Trahan's stuff and it seems like a polar opposite of SS. Could you elaborate a little on exactly what parts of SS you are incorporating with Trahan. Heck, you may have even invented your own swing method. Time to market it.
Jerry

gsw

August 19th, 2009, 2:05 am #6

I have made a few mods to my swing based on reading Trahan's stuff. I moved closer to the ball and made my swing much more upright and feeling straight back and thru. I bent my clubs a couple of degrees upright to help with this. I am still using my own version of SS otherwise. The best part is that I am hitting the ball straight up the stick like I have not done for many years. It is a good feeling...

I did find something out that would apply to HSS also. I found that if the take away is done so that the clubhead remains outside the hands then lead wrist stays in a good position and the hooks disappear. I figured out that if I want to a low snap hook all I have to do is bow the lead wrist at the top a bit and if I want to to slice all I have to do is cup the lead wrist. I know that this is common knowledge but it never really worked for me in the past like it is now.

At any rate it is really fun to line up and know that the ball just might go right where I am aiming it.

Regards, Herbert
Hey that is starting to get scary! Knowing that you will hook or fade at the top of the swing. I dont have that ability, I wish I did, you must be getting a real feel for your swing.

Stan

August 19th, 2009, 2:49 am #7

not fade or draw LOL. I did not say that I could control it. I am hitting the ball straight or with a little draw most of the time when I try to hit it straight. It is more knowing why I was hooking it so badly in the past that is useful.

Regards, Herbert

August 19th, 2009, 8:12 pm #8

Regards, Herbert
I kind experimented with this, too. Stance, alignment, back swing, and downswing is all Trahan except I straightened out the lead leg a tad bit. So, in the down swing, I can brace into it. The braced lead leg helps with the longer clubs like the Driver.

Do you do the same?

August 20th, 2009, 3:30 am #9

Herbert, how can you be doing Trahan and SS? I looked at Trahan's stuff and it seems like a polar opposite of SS. Could you elaborate a little on exactly what parts of SS you are incorporating with Trahan. Heck, you may have even invented your own swing method. Time to market it.
Jerry
You are correct in that Trahan talks a bit about using the arms more while SS is a shoulder whip swing. Both are 3/4 length backswings though I guess that SS might like a bigger shoulder turn. The main thing that I got from Trahan was to swing straight back and thru instead of inside out.

I am going back to standing closer to the ball which is how I swung years ago before I started fooling around with SA swings. Possibly that is something that just works better for me... The other key which is to swing back with clubhead staying outside the hands I figured out on my own. I think that the reason that I had problems with snap hooks right out of the blue in the past was that I would bow the lead wrist early on the backswing taking the club back too far inside. I did not realize that I was doing that.

LOL time will tell.

Regards, Herbert

August 20th, 2009, 4:08 am #10

I kind experimented with this, too. Stance, alignment, back swing, and downswing is all Trahan except I straightened out the lead leg a tad bit. So, in the down swing, I can brace into it. The braced lead leg helps with the longer clubs like the Driver.

Do you do the same?
I did try the straight lead leg when I was really trying to follow SS to the letter. I gave up on it after a while as I think that it led to some hip pain. Also it is a bit difficult to change something like that this late in the game. I setup now with the lead knee bent and keep it bent right through the swing. I do setup with the body tilted back a bit and in that respect I think that I am doing something similar to what you are doing.

Regards, Herbert