Are we born with our golf swings or do we develop our swings?

Are we born with our golf swings or do we develop our swings?

gsw

July 8th, 2010, 1:59 pm #1

Back in 1988 about two months after my first spine surgery (I have had six spine surgeries and have five levels fused) I was playing my first post surgery round of golf with three elderly golfers that played in the same golf league that I did. After about four holes it was obvious that I still had my golf game as I was playing as well as I had ever played before my surgery. When I hit my drive on one of the holes and it went right down the center of the fairway one of my playing partners turned to that others and said "I guess if you can do it, who can just do it no matter what" What he meant was golfers who have the ability to hit good golf shots can find a way to hit good golf shots in spite of physical limitations as if the golfer is born with the ability or he is born without it. It is my belief that this also can be said about the way a golfer swings the club. Every year I go through a period where I try to change my swing a bit to match the SA swings that are taught. This year it was Simple Swing and HSS. I tried to do SS for over two weeks exactly as they teach it and it simply would not work as well as my "Homemade" swing works. I then tried to use HSS for a while and simply hooked the ball off the golf course on nearly every shot. In the past I have tried NG, IMA and even CG with the same result. I always end up going back to my split handed no turn punch type of golf swing. My point is that I must face the fact that I only have one way to swing a golf club. I may have been born with that swing in my DNA but I suspect that I simply developed my golf swing and the only way I could change it would be change to something else and stick with it for years. I hope that this last go around with trying to change my swing is over and that I never try to change it again.

Stan

July 8th, 2010, 8:25 pm #2

Stan, I'm quoting Butch Harmon as seen in this month's Golf Digest: "I don't care what a golf swing looks like as long as it's producing good shots." I agree that we all like to tinker with our swings but as I say, our golf swing is like our finger print - it is ours and ours alone. So all this stuff that is going on here on this site, not a bad idea to take a suggestion or two but as long as you know that you like the way you are playing, then you get it as far as the golf swing is concerned. Swings can be taught and fixed but "as long as it's producing good shots," then don't care so much. Will Peter disagree with Butch Harmon? We'll see.

July 8th, 2010, 8:28 pm #3

Back in 1988 about two months after my first spine surgery (I have had six spine surgeries and have five levels fused) I was playing my first post surgery round of golf with three elderly golfers that played in the same golf league that I did. After about four holes it was obvious that I still had my golf game as I was playing as well as I had ever played before my surgery. When I hit my drive on one of the holes and it went right down the center of the fairway one of my playing partners turned to that others and said "I guess if you can do it, who can just do it no matter what" What he meant was golfers who have the ability to hit good golf shots can find a way to hit good golf shots in spite of physical limitations as if the golfer is born with the ability or he is born without it. It is my belief that this also can be said about the way a golfer swings the club. Every year I go through a period where I try to change my swing a bit to match the SA swings that are taught. This year it was Simple Swing and HSS. I tried to do SS for over two weeks exactly as they teach it and it simply would not work as well as my "Homemade" swing works. I then tried to use HSS for a while and simply hooked the ball off the golf course on nearly every shot. In the past I have tried NG, IMA and even CG with the same result. I always end up going back to my split handed no turn punch type of golf swing. My point is that I must face the fact that I only have one way to swing a golf club. I may have been born with that swing in my DNA but I suspect that I simply developed my golf swing and the only way I could change it would be change to something else and stick with it for years. I hope that this last go around with trying to change my swing is over and that I never try to change it again.

Stan
a while back where Kevin pointed to some studies indicating that any child could be turned into a prodigy given enough practice and encouragement. I firmly believe that masters are made not born. I also believe that you can change, but it requires a prodigious amount of practice. Your "old" swing will perform better until the practice is completed and the habits are built. I also believe that very few have the tolerance for the amount of practice required to change.

July 9th, 2010, 2:16 am #4

Stan, I'm quoting Butch Harmon as seen in this month's Golf Digest: "I don't care what a golf swing looks like as long as it's producing good shots." I agree that we all like to tinker with our swings but as I say, our golf swing is like our finger print - it is ours and ours alone. So all this stuff that is going on here on this site, not a bad idea to take a suggestion or two but as long as you know that you like the way you are playing, then you get it as far as the golf swing is concerned. Swings can be taught and fixed but "as long as it's producing good shots," then don't care so much. Will Peter disagree with Butch Harmon? We'll see.
Given comments Butch made when he was on Golf Channel Academy Live I have no problem agreeing with Butch since it was clear that shots produced with a marginal impact position would not qualify as 'good'.

Peter

July 9th, 2010, 2:28 am #5

I love you Peter, but I have no complaints...unlike you. Now can't we just go play golf. It's really not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Can't wait to play this weekend. Once a week golf with no complaints. Must be that crazy swing of mine. Life is good. AK

July 9th, 2010, 11:38 am #6

Stan
Without stating the obvious, swinging a golf club is a learned activity. So we aren't born with a certain golf swing. What we are born with is a "playing style" that is ours from birth.

Hippocrates identified the four basic human behavior types around 400 BC, and though the science describing and detailing these four basic styles has changed tons, the four basic styles are still in play. The way people are and how they relate to the world around them is the way they areits hard wired and unchangeable. Behavior style is different from personality. Basically people interact in their environment in one of four waysanalytically, procedurally, relationally (or collaboratively) and innovatively.

So the way we learn the swing, and play the game is based on ( or should be ) on who we are. Some of us have a very analytical approach to learning and playing the game. Others learn best by feel. Some are very technically correct in their swings and are excellent ball strikers. There are those who hit it all over the course, but are very creative with recovery shots and the short game. We all know the guy that just steps up and hits it. To play your very best golf, you must play within your style. If you are a feel player...you better not adopt an analytical approach. Likewise, it will do no good to tell the analytical person to "quit obsessing so much" about the swing and just play by feel, that's how the game is played.

So when learn and play, if we follow our style, we are balanced and in harmony...if we move outside of our style, we introduce disorder and confusion to our system. You can't fight mother nature...she will fight back! To often players try to emulate some other style than who they are - not being yourself is a big no-no in life and it is also true in golf.

So you want to swing the club and play the game that suits you. And you want to play the game within a mindset that is free from the pre-occupations, judgments, hopes, fears, and expectations. When this happens you will be swinging your Authentic Swing, and playing your Authentic game. When you swing and play this way, you will get the best golf that you are capable of....no matter what your swing looks like.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

July 9th, 2010, 1:30 pm #7

I love you Peter, but I have no complaints...unlike you. Now can't we just go play golf. It's really not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Can't wait to play this weekend. Once a week golf with no complaints. Must be that crazy swing of mine. Life is good. AK
Unlike you I deal with what's presented and do not characterize the presenter. Unlike you I accept objective evidence and go from there. Unlike you I and others here have presented that objective evidence and unlike you we've made conclusions based on it. Unlike you I've not presented a single 'complaint' so your statement is again not founded in objective reality.

It's been a common practice for those who's theories do not stand up to objective examination to then say 'lets just play golf'. Just playing golf is always a good idea but it does not undo the objective evidence and for those that invest time in improving their golf that evidence should be considered in deciding where to invest their time and $$s.

No further posts of your's that characterize the presenter(s) will appear here.

Peter

July 9th, 2010, 2:25 pm #8

The first sentence of your reply to me, "Unlike you I deal with what's presented and do not characterize the presenter," implies a characterization of me. Once again, and hopefully for the last time, bye guys. This game is not as hard as we make it out to be so have fun out on the course. AK

July 9th, 2010, 2:36 pm #9

The fact is that you made a characterization of me in the previous post that was not supported by any objective evidence therefore it is a characterization and not an observation about anything I posted. This is disregarding your recent post which I deleted that characterized the group.

This is the end of this discussion

Peter

July 9th, 2010, 7:24 pm #10

The first sentence of your reply to me, "Unlike you I deal with what's presented and do not characterize the presenter," implies a characterization of me. Once again, and hopefully for the last time, bye guys. This game is not as hard as we make it out to be so have fun out on the course. AK
if your ability outstrips your goals. If your goals are loftier than your current ability then the game is quite difficult. One of the things that attracts me to golf is that the goals of the game can always be set far above any current ability. If the game were truly easy there would be no pro tours. Who want's to pay to see something anybody can do well?