Anyone use a Chipper?

Anyone use a Chipper?

June 15th, 2009, 4:39 am #1

Having some alignment and execution issues on chips lately. Yeah, yeah, technique and practice (I know). But I can't help but notice these greenside Chipper type clubs. Anyone use one? Comments? Looks like they're 8 or 9-iron lofted, and I assume you pretty much use a putting stroke?

Lost at least 4 strokes today on lousy chipping...killed my score.

Thanks
wicker1000

June 15th, 2009, 12:19 pm #2

I've never used one but don't have anything I would take out of my bag to make room for one either. Come to think of it, I seldom even see them in shops anymore. I think with a little setup work and practice you could improve your chipping enough with your wedges/irons. They are certainly more useful than the chipper imo.
Jerry

June 15th, 2009, 1:10 pm #3

Having some alignment and execution issues on chips lately. Yeah, yeah, technique and practice (I know). But I can't help but notice these greenside Chipper type clubs. Anyone use one? Comments? Looks like they're 8 or 9-iron lofted, and I assume you pretty much use a putting stroke?

Thanks
wicker1000
I tried a chipper club, but ended-up giving it away to my cousin. In my personal philosophy of chipping, I found that if I skank a chipper club, I have the potential of hitting it off the green. So I, pretty much, stay with clubs that get me close to the hole AND can't produce a lot of disaster:) This philosophy has paid off for me.

I am a range-rat, and chipping/putting is boring. However, to better serve my OCD, I have tried changing the emphasis to how close I can get to the hole, deeming shots not within a very small definition of success a failure. (I have a lot of failure)

Watching the pros on TV the putts are always just, barely, missing the hole. When I miss a putt of some length it misses the hole by a FOOT!! My emphasis this year is to try and get all shots VERY CLOSE to the hole, whether it be a chip or putt.

Trying to shrink down the definition of success to a very small margin in an effort to develop a game that is relentless.

Mike Morley from North Dakota (golf pro on tour; past) told me about Moe in match competition in Canada....how relentless he was. Mike said it just ground on his competition, because you had to hit perfect shots or he would get you (match play). Moe would wear em down, which is my philosophy.

Last week in league, I played a golf pro (instructor), and he only had to give me one stroke. We started on the 7th hole, and 7,8,9 and 1 are wide open, and his drives went 100 yards past me, but I managed to go only two down. However, the rest of the holes were in the woods, with tight fairways, and I could reach all the par fours in two....and, then, the "relentless" gets to your opponent, and their swagger stops (guys should never swagger) and then you can see them (I can tell you the exact hole) they try to, "beat", you, instead of playing their own game (condition of fear/doubt), and you know you have won the match. As soon as they try to beat you they are dead. I was able to win the match on holes and medal both for two points.

Getting back to the pitching, if a chipping club makes you relentless then go for it. I think it is important to develop a PHILOSOPHY of chipping and then adhere to the terms of that philosophy so that a person can get close and relentless.

This is a difficult part of the game for me to master....and I am very mediocore.

June 15th, 2009, 2:19 pm #4

Thanks
wicker1000
It takes my posts awhile to get on the forum, but thought I would post anyway (guess I don't post often enough and am not considered a regular). Anyway, I have used chippers on and off over the past years. I usually resort to a chipper when my chipping with regular irons goes south. I recently purchased a Prince 37 degree hybrid iron that works great for approach shots to the green and around the green as a chipper. The shaft on this club is about the length of a 8 iron, so is easy to use on chips and medium length approach shots (125 yards and in). My old chipper has been shelved, and this new hybrid has a premanent place in my bag (so far).

Best of luck with your chipping -- Garb

June 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm #5

Thanks
wicker1000
when I first learned to play, but am not fond of them now. It's kind of like a putter with training wheels for chipping. I don't think that it is a very versatile tool, and do you really want to use up one of your 14 club slots by putting it in your bag?

It kind of reminds me of a quote by Lee Trevino who said: "Find me somebody who uses iron head covers ... that's the kind of guy I want to play against." So I'm making fun of myself here since I have a new set of Wishon 550 forged blades. They're beautiful and I put covers on them to keep the backs from getting all scratched up.

June 15th, 2009, 4:44 pm #6

I tried a chipper club, but ended-up giving it away to my cousin. In my personal philosophy of chipping, I found that if I skank a chipper club, I have the potential of hitting it off the green. So I, pretty much, stay with clubs that get me close to the hole AND can't produce a lot of disaster:) This philosophy has paid off for me.

I am a range-rat, and chipping/putting is boring. However, to better serve my OCD, I have tried changing the emphasis to how close I can get to the hole, deeming shots not within a very small definition of success a failure. (I have a lot of failure)

Watching the pros on TV the putts are always just, barely, missing the hole. When I miss a putt of some length it misses the hole by a FOOT!! My emphasis this year is to try and get all shots VERY CLOSE to the hole, whether it be a chip or putt.

Trying to shrink down the definition of success to a very small margin in an effort to develop a game that is relentless.

Mike Morley from North Dakota (golf pro on tour; past) told me about Moe in match competition in Canada....how relentless he was. Mike said it just ground on his competition, because you had to hit perfect shots or he would get you (match play). Moe would wear em down, which is my philosophy.

Last week in league, I played a golf pro (instructor), and he only had to give me one stroke. We started on the 7th hole, and 7,8,9 and 1 are wide open, and his drives went 100 yards past me, but I managed to go only two down. However, the rest of the holes were in the woods, with tight fairways, and I could reach all the par fours in two....and, then, the "relentless" gets to your opponent, and their swagger stops (guys should never swagger) and then you can see them (I can tell you the exact hole) they try to, "beat", you, instead of playing their own game (condition of fear/doubt), and you know you have won the match. As soon as they try to beat you they are dead. I was able to win the match on holes and medal both for two points.

Getting back to the pitching, if a chipping club makes you relentless then go for it. I think it is important to develop a PHILOSOPHY of chipping and then adhere to the terms of that philosophy so that a person can get close and relentless.

This is a difficult part of the game for me to master....and I am very mediocore.

You know you have them beat when they start trying to beat you. To me that means that instead of playing against 'Old Man Par' like Bobby Jones talked about they are playing against 'Old Man Remington'. And when that happens you get the old 'I should be winning and this old goat is beating me this can't be happening' syndrome.

However there is a certain type of player who will play better when he 'plays against you'. Of course that guy or gal will be playing against you starting on the first tee. Do you know the kind of person that I am talking about? You might beat that guy but it won't be because he gives it to you... The competitor that I am talking about doesn't care how the match stands he just wants to kick your ass on every shot. LOL it does not matter to that guy how good your shot is because he is sure that his next shot is going in the hole. You ever play that 'guy'?

Regards, Herbert

June 15th, 2009, 8:36 pm #7

Thanks
wicker1000
I have used a Ping Chippo for many years (Over 20) and it is the lone club that has remained in my bag. Over the years, it has resulted in many chip-ins.

June 16th, 2009, 12:11 am #8

You know you have them beat when they start trying to beat you. To me that means that instead of playing against 'Old Man Par' like Bobby Jones talked about they are playing against 'Old Man Remington'. And when that happens you get the old 'I should be winning and this old goat is beating me this can't be happening' syndrome.

However there is a certain type of player who will play better when he 'plays against you'. Of course that guy or gal will be playing against you starting on the first tee. Do you know the kind of person that I am talking about? You might beat that guy but it won't be because he gives it to you... The competitor that I am talking about doesn't care how the match stands he just wants to kick your ass on every shot. LOL it does not matter to that guy how good your shot is because he is sure that his next shot is going in the hole. You ever play that 'guy'?

Regards, Herbert
Herbert: There are three players in league who don't try to beat me. I think that your viewpoint of these players is swayed by your judgment? When I see these players, they just do the same thing I am doing. Each shot is a display of their mastery of technique.

June 16th, 2009, 6:01 am #9

The one I am talking about does not care about displaying anything he just wants to beat you and the swing is completely secondary to the result if that makes any sense? I don't disagree at all with the type of competitor that you are talking about. The one that I am talking about is always better the more the pressure is on. Hmmm, I don't think I am describing this very well...

LOL I am reminded of Leo Durocher describing how Jackie Robinson played and how badly Jackie wanted to win. Leo said something to the effect that a lot of guys came to kill you but Jackie came to stuff the f'ing bat up your @ss. LOL of course baseball was a different game in those days, how long do think Sal Maglie would last now days? About 2 batters? He would sometimes buzz your dome on a 3 and 1 count. Or maybe Dizzy Dean yelling at a hitter who had the nerve to dig in the batters box to 'dig it deep because that's where they are going to bury you!' Immediate ejection now days. I guarantee you that Barry Bonds would not have hit so many homers in those days even with the steroids. It is not so easy to hit when you know a fastball is coming at your huge head at least once a day. If he had gone up to bat with all that armor on in those days somebody probably would have knocked his head off. On the other hand if Wille Mays could have played with today's rules he probably would have hit another 100 homers.

Anyway the guy I am talking about is kind of rare but if you run into one enjoy the fray!

Regards, Herbert

June 16th, 2009, 12:42 pm #10

Of course, we equalize play through handicap in our golf league. My score will push on somebody, and I have seen two players turn it on to where they are putting for a below par round (raw score)(like four below handicap), but they seldom win, because I don't care what they do. I really don't.

I cannot change what a person does or thinkis. All I can change is the way I think. For me it is all about mastery of technique, then a display of that technique...that's it!!

So I don't have the judgment (critical/judgmental) to establish the type of player you are talking about in my mind.

If I were playing somebody without a handicap, and they continued to turn on the coals for a win, then I would just say that I haden't mastered technique enough to play at that level. For me, win or lose, it is all about how well I mastered technique.

I do not blame people, events or circustances for my duress. I either mastered technique or not.

That's why I think it is so important in rounds of golf that you keep a separate 0-X for drive (200+ and in the fairway), greens in regulation, and two putts or less....just to see, if you have mastered (come close) the basics.

As a competitor, it is important to understand that, if you can put the ball in the fairway 100 per cent of the time on the drive at 210-219 yards, there is no way a person who drives 270 yards, but only lands in the fairway 1/3rd to 1/2 of the time will ever beat you. More importantly they figure this out on the third or fourth hole, and that's when they try to "beat" you.

This works for me, but might not work for everybody.