Anyone still using the Heard Super Swing?

Anyone still using the Heard Super Swing?

gsw

May 26th, 2009, 2:17 am #1

The HSS is so darn simple that one would think a lot of golfers would use it? Are there any golfers on this forum using HSS?

Stan

May 26th, 2009, 2:29 am #2

but once upon a time. I liked not being on the right side of courses. I learned to dislike being on the left side. At the time I did not know how to fix this and switched to IMA. Since then I've come to understand how it would be fixed based on what others here have posted.

HSS is simple and I have personally taught it to someone who'd only played a handful of times prior to a work golf event and he did EXTREMELY well with it (200 yard 3-iron that landed on the green). Quick effectiveness.

Peter

May 26th, 2009, 1:15 pm #3

I used it for several years and played some really good golf with it. But like Peter, I started seeing too much of the left side. Couldn't find a way to stop the hooking even though I tried opening the clubface, etc. Too bad really because I do like the simplicity of the swing and when it's working it works very well. I never did have any wrist problems either. I've actually gone back to NG. I really don't see that much difference between most of the SA swings but NG seems to fit me best. The larger non-tapered grips actually feel better to my lower hand and I haven't noticed any loss of distance at all. It isn't making things perfect but I'm working on it and some consistency is starting to show up.
Jerry

May 26th, 2009, 1:55 pm #4

The HSS is so darn simple that one would think a lot of golfers would use it? Are there any golfers on this forum using HSS?

Stan
Several years back, I purchased the HSS tape and instruction book. I worked for awhile attempting to get this swing system to work for me. The grip just did not work for me. My left wrist ended up being so sore that I almost was forced to quit golf altogether. I may have been doing something to cause this. Eventually I had to go back to my old swing and grip. Recently, I checked out the Simple Swing information, and notice that the grip looks a lot like the HSS grip. Has anyone noticed this similarity?

Garb

May 26th, 2009, 5:14 pm #5

I tried HSS a number of times but could not avoid the low hooks. I then sent for Symple Swing, but the grip 'strong but in the palms' didn't work for me either. Someone on this forum recommend Trahan [Peak Performance Golf] and I am playing as well as I have ever played after watching his videos.[one under in league last week with two to play but finished bogey, bogey for a 37]. I love thinking about 'dynamic muscle balance' when I play, and everything thing he has taught me has helped, plus it is easy on my back. I am 60, can't turn past 70%, BUT I AM BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

May 26th, 2009, 5:35 pm #6

Stan
I keep coming back to HSS, and I've stuck with it this season. The distance is far superior to any other method I've tried, and I've figured out how to avoid hooks for the most part.

The key for me is to keep nose over trail knee throughout entire swing. Also my transition move thought is "drop and block" - as in vertical drop and no forearm rotation.

Has me flirting with the 70s now - next up is putting.

wicker1000

May 26th, 2009, 7:31 pm #7

but once upon a time. I liked not being on the right side of courses. I learned to dislike being on the left side. At the time I did not know how to fix this and switched to IMA. Since then I've come to understand how it would be fixed based on what others here have posted.

HSS is simple and I have personally taught it to someone who'd only played a handful of times prior to a work golf event and he did EXTREMELY well with it (200 yard 3-iron that landed on the green). Quick effectiveness.

Peter
the hooking always there or just intermitant (at the worst possible time) ---- as bad with irons ??
just curious
more distance?
It is one swing I have not "studied"

May 26th, 2009, 9:35 pm #8

I moved to HSS because I was slicing with NG (much worse the longer the club) and as I moved my grip around to stop this I was going in the HSS 'direction'. When I first went completely to HSS the ball was straight to a mild draw with all clubs. Over time the mild draw moved to a wild hook and as I moved my grip more neutral I was moving back to where I started. At this point I decided I needed personal instruction and went to IMA because of a DG report about Scott's teaching (vs a system choice).

My post mortum on my experience is that I was not allowing release with NG and that holding off kept HSS straight. As I moved to a point where release came back, HSS produced hooks.

My distance did not change from CG to NG to HSS to IMA. At that time my 'all out' 7-iron was 150 (and VERY high) regardless of swing. My distance increased considerably when I found a way to match the impact positions McIrishman illustrated. A proper, hands ahead, impact position gave me 165 with my 7-iron with a moderate effort swing.

HSS provides feedback in the form of hooks or wrist pain if the clubhead passes your hands before impact. In that sense it can be a useful feedback tool if you understand what's happening.

Peter

May 27th, 2009, 6:30 am #9

I keep coming back to HSS, and I've stuck with it this season. The distance is far superior to any other method I've tried, and I've figured out how to avoid hooks for the most part.

The key for me is to keep nose over trail knee throughout entire swing. Also my transition move thought is "drop and block" - as in vertical drop and no forearm rotation.

Has me flirting with the 70s now - next up is putting.

wicker1000
I bought the Heard book/tape several yrs ago, and it really improved my iron strikes, I was up to a 165 yd and high with a 7 using the HSS. Mind you, I am a casual player, who never was good at this game. I am a long distance runner at heart, who also hits the weights - AND I prefer fishing over golf...but I live in the AZ desert! What is so frustrating for me is that I am usually more athletic than most guys on the course, but I Struggle mightly getting a ball into the air!

Shorter story than long, I've always been an excellent putter and chipper, just a bad ball striker, but I do enjoy some golf. Symple Swing is VERY SIMILAR to Heard - I got that SS stuff just a few months ago.

Grip
Similarities: Left hand is basically strong in both, thumb on the side of your grip - works great for me, I am a lefty who plays right handed.
Difference: Right hand palm faces left in HSS, is strong with thumb again on the side - works for me and feels best if I interlock one finger. Symple wants that hand more neutral if possible (but not mandatory) due to concern of right hand overtaking, closing, and hooks - no issue for me, a lefty!

Stance
Similarities: Weight on the right side. 60-70 percent on HSS, up to 80 on SS.
Difference: Right foot open 45 deg. in SS, left leg straight. Cock inward back leg(hard on my bad runner's knee!). NO detail in HSS other than keep back foot down.

To me, the stance item is only more of the details given by SS. Both swings want that lower body and feet still. If one could do it with weight only 60 percent on the right as PGA top 100 pro Jim Hardy does in "The Plane Truth for Golfers" -http://www.amazon.com/The-Plane-Truth-f ... inw_strp_1 - I say do so, it is less to think about, and easier yet to do as starting close to balanced and keeping there is less stress on my back!

In the end, both systems want that head over the back knee. They both stess stronger grips, which require no forearm rotation - my favorite part. But, I have yet to consistently hit my teed up woods or irons longer than a 6 worth anything useful with these methods. I will be combining the HSS with Symple with some element of the Hardy book from now on. I have a great putting hand, can chip very straight, and I usually can power wedges thur 9's between 100-150 yds.

I am hoping to get more details from either wicker1000 or better yet, play some rounds here in the Mesa, AZ area with another Symple Swing or HSS player this summer - any takers?

gsw

May 27th, 2009, 1:13 pm #10

Stan
Thanks for the feedback. I always wondered myself why I could not stop hooking with the HSS swing. When I watch the video and read the book it looks like it would work perfectly but I hit rope hooks with HSS. I have played a few rounds lately using the HSS grip and simply aimed way out to the right and rope hooked every shot and it is surprising how well I can play by hard drawing every shot. Like most golfers I prefer to hit the ball straight.

Stan