Another way to learn lag?

Another way to learn lag?

May 20th, 2010, 4:23 pm #1

Kelvin Miyahira has invented a training device called Impact Snap! to teach you how to obtain lag. Looks like it could be helpful. I think that it costs about $70. He has a few case studies with some kids showing its effectiveness:

Case Study 1
Case Study 2
Case Study 3

You could probably build yourself something similar (without the snap) for a few bucks, or just practice those motions with a wedge. This is how I perform the rifle barrel and impact backwards drills with my short irons.

May 20th, 2010, 9:00 pm #2

The results were excellent in his case studies though I would have liked to have seen if it worked so well with an adult. Bertholy had noted differences in the way kids learn vs adults.

It does look like something you could make with an old shaft including the snap (something to slide inside the shaft) though I never found the sound location a good feedback mechanism.

Peter

May 21st, 2010, 12:13 am #3

Kelvin Miyahira has invented a training device called Impact Snap! to teach you how to obtain lag. Looks like it could be helpful. I think that it costs about $70. He has a few case studies with some kids showing its effectiveness:

Case Study 1
Case Study 2
Case Study 3

You could probably build yourself something similar (without the snap) for a few bucks, or just practice those motions with a wedge. This is how I perform the rifle barrel and impact backwards drills with my short irons.
http://www.naturalgolf.com/ProShopProdu ... sterID=621
I have not used one.

I just am not the type of learner who can learn anything from something like the Impact Snap!. Same goes for practicing static positions. I need to feel the movement at something near real time and real load.

I think the GGA PVC drill does a very good job of dynamically teaching the lag. I like to use a club to hit balls from their 1.5 position. (Peter, the 1.5 nomenclature appears to have nothing to do with your 2.5 IMA concept.) Position 1 is when the pipe is parallel down the line going back. Position 2 is when the backswing is fully loaded, with hands about shoulder height. I think they later must have needed a label for an intermediate position, so 1.5 was born. The 1.5 is when the butt end of the PVC (or club) points at the ball. It is fairly easy to maintain the 90* angle from that position since the hands are only at the hip level.

May 21st, 2010, 1:04 pm #4

but as noted a while back it is interesting that their 1.5 came out several years after I released 2.5 here and they have participated in this forum.

Peter

May 22nd, 2010, 4:19 am #5

Case Study 1
Case Study 2
Case Study 3

When I tried to go to Speedchain.com, My Malware
program popped up and indicated malcious content. I immediately stopped the loading of it..
Has anyone else seen this happen?
rofox

May 22nd, 2010, 7:06 pm #6

http://www.speedchaintraining.com/ is the product site

http://www.golf-swing-tips.com/speed-ch ... tions.html is a distributor site

I use Norton 360 4.0 - no alerts. The above site has just the info on the speed chains, if you want the snap you must email Kelvin directly according to the video.

If anybody pulls the trigger on the speed chain or already has one and would like to consider being part of a new case study, let me know:

kmcmullen@authenticgolf.com

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

May 22nd, 2010, 7:28 pm #7

http://www.naturalgolf.com/ProShopProdu ... sterID=621
I have not used one.

I just am not the type of learner who can learn anything from something like the Impact Snap!. Same goes for practicing static positions. I need to feel the movement at something near real time and real load.

I think the GGA PVC drill does a very good job of dynamically teaching the lag. I like to use a club to hit balls from their 1.5 position. (Peter, the 1.5 nomenclature appears to have nothing to do with your 2.5 IMA concept.) Position 1 is when the pipe is parallel down the line going back. Position 2 is when the backswing is fully loaded, with hands about shoulder height. I think they later must have needed a label for an intermediate position, so 1.5 was born. The 1.5 is when the butt end of the PVC (or club) points at the ball. It is fairly easy to maintain the 90* angle from that position since the hands are only at the hip level.
Snowman said - "I just am not the type of learner who can learn anything from something like the Impact Snap!. Same goes for practicing static positions. I need to feel the movement at something near real time and real load."

First off, the Impact snap can be used "at speed". That's the idea....

Secondly, you are the type to learn that way - we all are - it is the way we are wired. All your physical activities that you learned and can now do with unthinking involvement you learned slow first, a piece at a time, learning proper motion and technique first. You didn't learn to tie your shoes "at speed". Your first time on a bike was with training wheels or an assist from mom or dad and you went slow. Your first time in a car you hit the free way right? Fagedaboutit!

The thing is the faster you go, the harder it is to do the movement. This is why dancers choreograph a new routine slow....A baseball pitcher who has to change his mechanics because of injury practices the new action slowly first....and a martial arts student learns correct punching technique before ever going live. I can get to a PERFECT impact position 100% of the time going slow....not so much with a real speed swing on the range, and even less so under the pressure of a match on the course.

With all due respect, you are fooling yourself if you think you learn better at real speed and real load. This is isn't just golf, it is everything...the focus is first on purity of technique ( Bertholy and Moe ), then add speed as technique improves.

Most adult golfers "learned the game" by picking up clubs and going out and swinging full out immediately. They decided they liked it, but they sucked SO THEN they decide to get some lessons, read a book and improve. If they would have started learning the swing the same way they approached learning other things....they would learn it much faster....and not have to "unlearn" so many things.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

May 22nd, 2010, 9:59 pm #8

I wish I knew why I can't migrate from a drill to a full swing. I can do any of the numerous drills which teach the positions and feel of a release. They are easy. Including wonderful partial-wedge type shots. But when I get to the full swing, forget it.

I am beginning to think it is the result of many years of imprinting. Not the physical imprint, more the subconscious feeling that I make a more reliable contact via an early release. A later release just scares my golf brain and it won't let it happen.

I really need to figure out how to overcome that. And I just don't think a drill or holding a position is going to do it.

May 22nd, 2010, 10:04 pm #9

but as noted a while back it is interesting that their 1.5 came out several years after I released 2.5 here and they have participated in this forum.

Peter
They use 7 positions to benchmark the swing, and have a lot of references and materials built around that. It seems they later found they needed 8, but since the new one was between 1 & 2, there you go, 1.5.

May 23rd, 2010, 3:37 am #10

I wish I knew why I can't migrate from a drill to a full swing. I can do any of the numerous drills which teach the positions and feel of a release. They are easy. Including wonderful partial-wedge type shots. But when I get to the full swing, forget it.

I am beginning to think it is the result of many years of imprinting. Not the physical imprint, more the subconscious feeling that I make a more reliable contact via an early release. A later release just scares my golf brain and it won't let it happen.

I really need to figure out how to overcome that. And I just don't think a drill or holding a position is going to do it.
have problems migrating from drills to real swings including tour pros.

Peter