Announcing - "The Tush Trainer" - On Sale now! KIDDING!

Announcing - "The Tush Trainer" - On Sale now! KIDDING!

March 2nd, 2011, 11:51 am #1

Just kidding...in light of all the recent discussion on spine angle and forward bend, I came up with a neat way to help train outside once the weather breaks. Now I won't have to drag my folding chain to the range! Enjoy:

This aid will help you in maintaining your "tush line", and the rods can also be used for other drills and training aids as well. At the golf products stores, you will see these fiberglass "Tour Sticks" selling for anywhere from $15 to $40 or more for two. You can purchase these for $1.99 ea at home depot! Here's a pic of the set up:

To use this simply set the rods up so that they just touch your tush as you address the ball so that you are feeling a light touch. Then, as you complete your swing, maintain that light touch all the way through impact into extension and even the follow through. Do four reps thinking about it, and then four on clearkey. Here's a sequence of me using it yesterday. When I trim the clip, I will post it on youtube:

And here's a sequence before tush training, note how my hips are closer to the ball as my tush has come off the line:

For indoor use, you could take two blocks of 2x4 and drill a hole in them to hold the rods.

Kevin
"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

March 3rd, 2011, 3:06 am #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LsqAGJYbo

March 3rd, 2011, 5:55 am #3

Ok,
Now I have to train my a#$ too. Man betwen all of the other stuff and this when will my swing be built? JK, from watchin you swing is your miss a push to the right?
Art

March 3rd, 2011, 6:34 am #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LsqAGJYbo

Looks pretty good. What happened to reversing your chin?

I get the feeling that you might be leaning on it just a hair... LOL I have a tendency to do that so maybe I am seeing things that aren't there.

Something looks a little funny in your transition with your arms it looks like you might pulling your arms in closer and bending the lead arm a bit? Not saying it is good or bad, just an observation.

I don't see an wiping there, at least to my eye!

Regards, Herbert

March 3rd, 2011, 12:19 pm #5

That bent lead arm is funny. When I drill, it is straight as a rod per the man Bertholy. But in a swing, and this is even on short irons, it bends. My consolation is Daly and some other tour pros bend it - Harvey Pencik - "It can bend at the top, but it must be straight at impact".

What do you mean by leaning on it?

The head, now that is funny I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE! I made that video pretty quick (it was like 40 outside), and was focused pretty much on the tush line aspect, and as Ham will surely say, there was no ball. I noticed that I am not raising up as much too. The swings were made with no warm-up and so not "full bore" - look at my follow through, the club doesn't finish way wrapped behind me. So I don't know, have to wait til I get to the range and see if the ole knoggin is rotating through or staying back.

Still, I am pretty excited. It is the first time I have been able to swing anything longer than a short iron and maintain my tush line! The video of my previous swings with my over speed trainer were definitely different than these.

I cannot wait to get outside and begin practicing my wedges with this little gadget I came up with. This season is the "year of the wedge and the putter". With my new improved length, I have GOT to be able to advantage of the short par 4's and wedge it close and make those 6-10 footers. Watching the pros hit their wedges with their backs and forward bend maintained...it's no wonder they are so good. I don't agree with that most of the Somax video you posted recently, but I did like the analogy about consistency aspect with the pic of the motorcycle wobbling and crashing - made an impact on me.

March 3rd, 2011, 9:39 pm #6

Ok,
Now I have to train my a#$ too. Man betwen all of the other stuff and this when will my swing be built? JK, from watchin you swing is your miss a push to the right?
Art
called this. Rem notes that when my hips are less active ala Moe, with my swing I push to right..and this is my on course experience. With irons my miss is still a pull. Rem has been after me to go pure Moe or switch to conventional golf for some time now...says I shouldn't dilute the truth of the Moe Swing!

For years I was left and left more. Now it is right...but all my misses are less so. Now I am just in the rough right or left...used to be in the next fairway or OB!

Kevin

March 3rd, 2011, 10:27 pm #7

That bent lead arm is funny. When I drill, it is straight as a rod per the man Bertholy. But in a swing, and this is even on short irons, it bends. My consolation is Daly and some other tour pros bend it - Harvey Pencik - "It can bend at the top, but it must be straight at impact".

What do you mean by leaning on it?

The head, now that is funny I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE! I made that video pretty quick (it was like 40 outside), and was focused pretty much on the tush line aspect, and as Ham will surely say, there was no ball. I noticed that I am not raising up as much too. The swings were made with no warm-up and so not "full bore" - look at my follow through, the club doesn't finish way wrapped behind me. So I don't know, have to wait til I get to the range and see if the ole knoggin is rotating through or staying back.

Still, I am pretty excited. It is the first time I have been able to swing anything longer than a short iron and maintain my tush line! The video of my previous swings with my over speed trainer were definitely different than these.

I cannot wait to get outside and begin practicing my wedges with this little gadget I came up with. This season is the "year of the wedge and the putter". With my new improved length, I have GOT to be able to advantage of the short par 4's and wedge it close and make those 6-10 footers. Watching the pros hit their wedges with their backs and forward bend maintained...it's no wonder they are so good. I don't agree with that most of the Somax video you posted recently, but I did like the analogy about consistency aspect with the pic of the motorcycle wobbling and crashing - made an impact on me.

Here are a couple wobblers who hit it pretty well...

I think that the spine angle change may not be a key to accuracy. Possilby it is a case of 'don't worry about it' which is I believe what Todd Graves said about his spine angle change a while back.

Regards, Herbert

March 4th, 2011, 12:06 am #8

Special golfers...probably a tad better than you or me! IMO opinion they get it done in spite of this, because of their great ability.

Those are old pictures, and I am very close to being persuaded (100%)that a maintenance of the forward lean/ spine angle ala the kind you see most pros exhibit, along with maintaining the tush line, the subject of this thread, are going to yield more consistent ball striking.

What's more i really like the way my back feels after a session now compared to my swing before.

Regarding not worrying about it - I couldn't agree more! the only time I worry about things like this is when I am practicing and giving conscious thought and attention to it. THAT"S the time to give these things careful consideration. Out on the course it is (hopefully) all on automatic, with a worry free state of mind!

Kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on March 4th, 2011, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2011, 12:15 am #9

called this. Rem notes that when my hips are less active ala Moe, with my swing I push to right..and this is my on course experience. With irons my miss is still a pull. Rem has been after me to go pure Moe or switch to conventional golf for some time now...says I shouldn't dilute the truth of the Moe Swing!

For years I was left and left more. Now it is right...but all my misses are less so. Now I am just in the rough right or left...used to be in the next fairway or OB!

Kevin

I only asked cause that is my miss when my shaft goes across the line at the top and have to reroute the club to the ball. I didnt know that my shaft was across the line until afew weeks ago. An instructor at the golf course I go to let me know and was trying to show me what it should look like, I've been working on it and just recently it is coming around. I saw the your shaft go across the line in your swing, but I wasnn't sure. I thought maybe it was the camera angle. Your lower body movement looks good to me. Heck The whole swing looks good to me, except for the shaft across the line. For me it would go more across the line if I was trying to get it to go alittle futher, meaning the ball.

Art

March 4th, 2011, 1:20 am #10

Special golfers...probably a tad better than you or me! IMO opinion they get it done in spite of this, because of their great ability.

Those are old pictures, and I am very close to being persuaded (100%)that a maintenance of the forward lean/ spine angle ala the kind you see most pros exhibit, along with maintaining the tush line, the subject of this thread, are going to yield more consistent ball striking.

What's more i really like the way my back feels after a session now compared to my swing before.

Regarding not worrying about it - I couldn't agree more! the only time I worry about things like this is when I am practicing and giving conscious thought and attention to it. THAT"S the time to give these things careful consideration. Out on the course it is (hopefully) all on automatic, with a worry free state of mind!

Kevin

that you may be right...

It is something that I am working on though I wonder if it is not a case of different mechanics for different body types. It does seem that keeping the lower back arched or in neutral is better for the back pain side of things alright. It will take a lot of training for me to even get close to what I would like to look like at impact from down the line! I have reduced the hip move towards the ball on the downswing quite a bit which seems to help me with accuracy and ball contact. Getting the chin up and the upper back a bit straighter seems like mission impossible but maybe after a while it will start to happen...

One thing that I have noticed and I figured this out thanks to you and Peter is that I hit the ball farther and more on target when I get my trail shoulder lower and my trail arm more bent at impact. This makes a big difference towards hitting with a powerful feeling that has been missing for a while. I have stumbled onto this in the past and then lost it with realizing what was happening.

Regards, Herbert