ack

ack

December 24th, 2008, 3:11 pm #1

Here is a look at me at impact doing drill number five on clear key. Really sucks. I am ok at impact on drills 1 to 3 but go straight to he double hockey sticks on anything like a full swing. LOL, I have been drilling on the five IMA drills for a couple of months now and this is the result:

I am not going to quit, I am going to correct this if it is the last thing that I ever do!

Regards, Herbert

December 24th, 2008, 4:10 pm #2

How is impact on drill #4? If it's also not correct there then the fault is with the move of your trail elbow to the front of your trail hip. When it gets there it still needs to be bent as well as your trail wrist. If they aren't bent enough then '6/100s' is not correct. #5 adds shoulder turn which increases the difficulty in keeping the trail elbow bent.

Bertholy is the answer for what's needed to achieve these positions. This is also the reason for my 4.5 drill/swing.

This is I think the weakness of IMA instruction and why I tried to connect Scott with Doug Ferreri. For most I don't think it's enough to say 'just do it'.

Peter

December 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm #3

Drill number 4 was not good.

I don't have pictures yet but when I think of the trail elbow position on the downswing the problem goes away. I know this by the contact and ball flight. Also it helps to think of maintaining the angle late into the downswing. I get that snap feeling then.

I have been battling this all along, sometimes I get really good late hit and snap but not often enough. I know what to work on anyway. I want to make this move a habit and then I should see some improvement in ball striking.

I think that my body position is immproved and not too bad???

Regards, Herbert

December 24th, 2008, 5:50 pm #4

Here is a look at me at impact doing drill number five on clear key. Really sucks. I am ok at impact on drills 1 to 3 but go straight to he double hockey sticks on anything like a full swing. LOL, I have been drilling on the five IMA drills for a couple of months now and this is the result:

I am not going to quit, I am going to correct this if it is the last thing that I ever do!

Regards, Herbert
your pre-impact position looks great to me.

Your noggin is back in good position, your right leg
has kicked in nicely, your left leg is starting to bow
out towards the target. Also you right shoulder has
droped nicely and your left shoulder is comming up,
indicating that your are coming from the inside.

I like how you have stayed down and not come up
out of your posture- something i have trouble with,

Now my unprofessinal opinon- your left hand grip looks
weak, and your left foot is toed out more than
i like. ( But what do i know?)
You appear to have lost most of your wrist cock
but that close to impact, how much should you have?
I am no expert , but a stronger left hand grip
might help bow the left wrist at impact and retain
the wrist angle a little longer.
With your left foot toed out it's hard to tell
where you are playing the ball in your stance.
If you play the ball too far forward i think you can run
out of wrist cock before you get to the ball, but thats just a guess.

Your left hip appeares to have bumped laterally a bit much
and maybe should have turned more at this point in your swing,
though it's hard to tell, but your shoulders are diffinetly
more closed than your hips.

Herbert can you do a posed picture in the position
you want to be in and post it and lets see
the difference? Your picture looks good, and a lot
of us would like to look that good at pre-impact.

JC

December 24th, 2008, 6:09 pm #5

Drill number 4 was not good.

I don't have pictures yet but when I think of the trail elbow position on the downswing the problem goes away. I know this by the contact and ball flight. Also it helps to think of maintaining the angle late into the downswing. I get that snap feeling then.

I have been battling this all along, sometimes I get really good late hit and snap but not often enough. I know what to work on anyway. I want to make this move a habit and then I should see some improvement in ball striking.

I think that my body position is immproved and not too bad???

Regards, Herbert
Your body position looks excellent. Doing the impact backwards drills is a big help in getting a good body impact position. Good flex in your lead knee. Does your lead foot feel 'soft' through the swing? That's a refinement on lead knee flex. For you lead knee to really work vs just being locked bent your lead foot needs to be soft/compliant. This relates to a warining from Scott about not allowing the calf muscle to tense.

Peter

December 25th, 2008, 7:40 am #6

your pre-impact position looks great to me.

Your noggin is back in good position, your right leg
has kicked in nicely, your left leg is starting to bow
out towards the target. Also you right shoulder has
droped nicely and your left shoulder is comming up,
indicating that your are coming from the inside.

I like how you have stayed down and not come up
out of your posture- something i have trouble with,

Now my unprofessinal opinon- your left hand grip looks
weak, and your left foot is toed out more than
i like. ( But what do i know?)
You appear to have lost most of your wrist cock
but that close to impact, how much should you have?
I am no expert , but a stronger left hand grip
might help bow the left wrist at impact and retain
the wrist angle a little longer.
With your left foot toed out it's hard to tell
where you are playing the ball in your stance.
If you play the ball too far forward i think you can run
out of wrist cock before you get to the ball, but thats just a guess.

Your left hip appeares to have bumped laterally a bit much
and maybe should have turned more at this point in your swing,
though it's hard to tell, but your shoulders are diffinetly
more closed than your hips.

Herbert can you do a posed picture in the position
you want to be in and post it and lets see
the difference? Your picture looks good, and a lot
of us would like to look that good at pre-impact.

JC

Thanks for the kind words Justin.

I am pretty happy with the body position it is the fact that my arms and the clubshaft are a Y instead of a y that bothers me.

I think that my lead hand grip is correct for IMA. My grip is neutral overall at least it appears that way when I do the dial a shot Scott exercise. I have used stronger lead hand grips in the past and I like this a lot better. There is no pain and I don't have so much trouble with pull hooks. I have found that a strong lead hand grip tends to force me to get the hands in front as you mentioned. I want to do it without changing my grip though.

Here is my impact pose before the drill. I have adjusted my hands a little farther forward and also my trail elbow since this frame was shot.

Regards, Herbert

December 25th, 2008, 12:35 pm #7

Regards, Herbert
Herbert,

I think you're into a " flip" release. The picture you posted is probably a frame or two before impact and the clubhead has almost caught up with your hands. Assuming my assumption is right then at impact the clubhead would be slightly ahead of your hands.

Here's a thought. With a nine iron address the ball and take any length backswing. Once at the top concentrate only on hitting down on the ball with the sweetspot of the club on about a twenty degree angle. Twenty degrees is about one dimple above the middle to the ball. If, when you locate the sweetspot on the club, and can strike the ball on that spot your hands will be in the proper position.

I bet your misses are either a weak fade or a pull. The hands that are out of position will cause both errors.

December 25th, 2008, 11:18 pm #8

I am pretty happy with the body position it is the fact that my arms and the clubshaft are a Y instead of a y that bothers me.

I think that my lead hand grip is correct for IMA. My grip is neutral overall at least it appears that way when I do the dial a shot Scott exercise. I have used stronger lead hand grips in the past and I like this a lot better. There is no pain and I don't have so much trouble with pull hooks. I have found that a strong lead hand grip tends to force me to get the hands in front as you mentioned. I want to do it without changing my grip though.

Here is my impact pose before the drill. I have adjusted my hands a little farther forward and also my trail elbow since this frame was shot.

Regards, Herbert

Your left hand grip looks stronger in the posed photo
to me.The v pointed more at your right shoulder.

Also if the action photo was continued to impact, would your
hands be over your left leg like in the posed photo?
Pretty close i think. If not it's not off by much.
It looks like the y you want would be there at impact.

The club face looks like it is open a little bit at address.

It's hard to tell because you have a long shirt on but
in the action photo your left wrist might have broken
down or cuped a little instead of being bowed out a little or at least straight.
In any case you are very close to a first class profesional
looking impact position from all the photos i have seen
of pros in the same position. What say you Ham?

It would be nice to see a photo right at impact in short
sleeves.

JC

December 25th, 2008, 11:33 pm #9

Regards, Herbert
name. Your left hand grip is very strong.
What is that contraption you are swinging in to?
Do you like the position you are in?
It looks like you have the y you want because your right shoulder
is lower and left shoulder higher at this point of the swing.

December 26th, 2008, 4:03 am #10

Here is the impact picture with a line showing where the club shaft should be:

I hit a nice straight shot on this swing but it was a high floater not a good trajectory boring type shot.

The picture that you posted is from a while back. I am 'striking the pad flush'. A pro named Lonnie came up with a training method using a pad such as the one I am striking in the photo. I don't know what happened to him or how much success he had teaching students. The idea is that by imagining that the pad is in front of you while playing you will automatically hit good shots with proper clubhead path. I have a rather large amount of instructions that Lonnie e-mailed to me regarding his theory and application.

Regards, Herbert