A Fantasy and a Challenge

A Fantasy and a Challenge

March 31st, 2008, 3:27 am #1

I have a fantasy where I take on Tiger Woods. A promoter interested in the match puts up the money for charity when he learns exactly how the match will be played.
Since I am over 70, it would appear on the surface that I would have no chance and would be made to look foolish.
However, there are parameters that would be decided by me.
Now, for example, I could specify that we play balanced on one leg and be blindfolded and also allow only 3 clubs, but no putter. Of course, my opponent would not learn the conditions under which the match will be played until the match is scheduled to start.
Of course, it will be something I can do and believe that my opponent can't do unless he knows what the restrictions are beforehand.
That's fair right? I am a 70 year old and need something to even the odds or even get the odds in my favor.

March 31st, 2008, 3:30 pm #2

The only fantasy match that I could win against Tiger Woods would be a see-saw contest - first player to hit the ground is the Champion! I'd even let him team up with his skinny wife and tiny mother!

And I'd wager that Chazman could beat him at Doughnut Eating! Then I'd take on the winner of that contest!

Tom

March 31st, 2008, 5:02 pm #3

I have a fantasy where I take on Tiger Woods. A promoter interested in the match puts up the money for charity when he learns exactly how the match will be played.
Since I am over 70, it would appear on the surface that I would have no chance and would be made to look foolish.
Now, for example, I could specify that we play balanced on one leg and be blindfolded and also allow only 3 clubs, but no putter. Of course, my opponent would not learn the conditions under which the match will be played until the match is scheduled to start.
Of course, it will be something I can do and believe that my opponent can't do unless he knows what the restrictions are beforehand.
That's fair right? I am a 70 year old and need something to even the odds or even get the odds in my favor.
you did not mention if you can use caddies- if so, i think
Tiger would have an advantage- if not the odds would be in
your favor, but i bet Tiger has hit a lot of balls in
practice, at least with his eyes closed so maybe not.
How about you?

Ed, i think you need to be more pacific- what 3 clubs, and
would they be the same for both of you?
Will it played on a course you both know?

Even if Tiger knew the restrictions ahead of time,
you would still have a game i think.

JC

March 31st, 2008, 11:44 pm #4

lose by a ton. Besides, who cares?

April 1st, 2008, 3:12 am #5

I rememeber reading a story a number of years ago about a blind golfer who kept annoying Arnold Palmer by challenging Arnold to a golf match and claiming that he would defeat Mr. Palmer. Finally Palmer got fed up and asked the blind golfer where he wanted to play. The blind golfer replied 'First tee at midnight'. Palmer got a good laugh out of that one and did play a round or two with the blind fellow.

I am afraid Ed, that you would have about the same chance of winning any sort of golf match of any length against Tiger Woods as the blind fellow had against Palmer in daylight...

Regards, Herbert

April 1st, 2008, 4:01 am #6

that Tiger would know for sure is that we will play on a golf course and try to hit a golf ball into a hole. Nothing about the dimensions of the course and nothing about the equipment used.
The length of the holes, the conditions of the greens and the hole itself could be made larger or smaller whatever I feel evens the odds.
If you had to play a match with Tiger and could dictate any conditions, what would you do to make it even?

April 1st, 2008, 4:10 am #7

The only fantasy match that I could win against Tiger Woods would be a see-saw contest - first player to hit the ground is the Champion! I'd even let him team up with his skinny wife and tiny mother!

And I'd wager that Chazman could beat him at Doughnut Eating! Then I'd take on the winner of that contest!

Tom
If you are talking Walmart glazed then my money is on Peter!

Regards, Herbert

April 1st, 2008, 6:37 pm #8

that Tiger would know for sure is that we will play on a golf course and try to hit a golf ball into a hole. Nothing about the dimensions of the course and nothing about the equipment used.
The length of the holes, the conditions of the greens and the hole itself could be made larger or smaller whatever I feel evens the odds.
If you had to play a match with Tiger and could dictate any conditions, what would you do to make it even?
I cannot make it even.
The best odds would be to make it as much luck as possible meaning that the shorter the match the better. So a one hole match would be best. Aside from cheating by setting up a drainage pipe to run the ball onto the green from the tee on a 600 yard hole the best odds would probably be a 20 foot putt on a really bad, slow and bumpy green. I might be able to win 1 out of 30 or something like that under such conditions.

Regards, Herbert

April 1st, 2008, 8:08 pm #9

Take him to a putt-putt course that you have played
about 100 times and he has never seen. That's the only
way you would have a chance.

April 1st, 2008, 8:09 pm #10

I cannot make it even.
The best odds would be to make it as much luck as possible meaning that the shorter the match the better. So a one hole match would be best. Aside from cheating by setting up a drainage pipe to run the ball onto the green from the tee on a 600 yard hole the best odds would probably be a 20 foot putt on a really bad, slow and bumpy green. I might be able to win 1 out of 30 or something like that under such conditions.

Regards, Herbert
Well, one condition would be to make no hole more than 100 yards. The other condition .... ready.... is that we both play left handed. Since Tiger has only brought his right handed clubs he will have to use them playing left handed.
Since the main movement in the SS is the rotation of the shoulders, does it really matter whether you play left or right handed. Also if you have any physical problems preventing the learning of this swing they may be alleviated by playing left handed.
I have been experimenting with this and so far can see no reason why I can't learn to do it this way.
So, if anyone has tried this swing and given up on it, playing left handed may be a possible solution. Yes, it feels a little strange but then again you don't have any movements that have to be unlearned or de-programmed.