A Blueprint For Golf Exc

A Blueprint For Golf Exc

January 9th, 2010, 6:06 pm #1

I'm wondering why nothing has come up about this Book? Is Mr McMullen teflon or has he written the greatest instructional golf book in history? Or is everyone here to cheap to buy it? I'm kidding of course

January 10th, 2010, 5:32 am #2

are "long time lurkers, but never post" types. (Indeed it was the private off forum encouragement by several of these non posters that provided some of the motivation behind the book.) So perhaps that is one explanation.

Another is they just might be busy building their swing...what's there to say?

I know privately I have received only positive comments from both the book only purchasers and those whom are using the check point service. Here are a few comments people have made in this forum:

A happy reader:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... +Available!

Across the pond:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... mmend+this

Doug Ferreri - He doesn't have the book, but I sent him an excerpt prior to release to make sure the material didn't jeopardize Bertholy's originality

http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... 797952/Mac

January 10th, 2010, 4:09 pm #3

I have have been following this board for years posting here and there. I have Kevok and really like it. Since I purchased the book after hearing about it here on this forum i have been doing the exercises at least 5 days a week. Being winter here and a foot of snow on the ground for months I can't hit any golf balls which is probably good. I have been on the merry-go-round for so long with no imporvement that I am excited about working on Kevin's exercises and build a golf swing.

One question that I have for you guys who have been at it longer is what kind of improvement have you seen and how long has it taken? Like I said I have not hit a golf ball since early last fall, before I started the exercises. So this spring when the ranges open I just don't know what to expect.

GREAT JOB KEVIN YOUR BOOK IS GREAT !!

January 10th, 2010, 8:44 pm #4

to be guardedly optimistic. It takes a long time for the changes to filter into your swing as you play on the course. I've been doing the drills daily for a year now. I found that my ball striking has noticeably improved. This has most resulted in straighter and more consistent shot-making. I've only realized modest gains in distance, but I wasn't a short hitter to begin with. A shortish hitter would probably see drastic improvements in distance by now as well.

Be patient. Don't quit if you don't see a marked improvement at first. Remember that if it took an extremely talented Tiger two years to change his swing with constant practice and a highly paid swing coach, that your journey will take some time as well.

As mentioned, I started a year ago and did the exercises for 3 months in the winter without playing. I started the season immediately dropping back to my former 10 handicap having crept up to a 15 over the past four years. By the end of the season, I was an 8, finishing with a season low 76 in November on a very bad weather day. I remember hitting a good tee shot on the 11th hole slightly off line and into a tree. As I stood over my ball facing a 180yd shot under a tree and over a pond fronting the green, I smiled, pulled out my 5-iron with complete confidence and landed it 10 feet from the hole. The previous year if I had to face that shot I would have nervously topped it into the pond 9 times out of 10. That's been the true gift of doing the drills and using Clearkey.

As for Mac's Blueprint book, I think that it is a marvelous combination of Bertholy and Clearkey. It is logically formatted, easy to use, with lots of appropriate pictures to aid in the understanding of the material. It cuts to the chaise of acquiring a fine swing without meandering off point. Well worth the small price. I also believe that the video analysis idea is brilliant. There are very few PGA pros available who understand this material and who could guide you in your efforts. As a result, the video analysis is invaluable in keeping you from practicing the wrong things for too long.

January 11th, 2010, 3:56 am #5

I have have been following this board for years posting here and there. I have Kevok and really like it. Since I purchased the book after hearing about it here on this forum i have been doing the exercises at least 5 days a week. Being winter here and a foot of snow on the ground for months I can't hit any golf balls which is probably good. I have been on the merry-go-round for so long with no imporvement that I am excited about working on Kevin's exercises and build a golf swing.

One question that I have for you guys who have been at it longer is what kind of improvement have you seen and how long has it taken? Like I said I have not hit a golf ball since early last fall, before I started the exercises. So this spring when the ranges open I just don't know what to expect.

GREAT JOB KEVIN YOUR BOOK IS GREAT !!
reply but seeing just Allen's response, here's mine.

The subtitle of the book "Building A Swing You'll Never Forget" - it really states the fundamental objective or goal of the book. As Carey Mumford says in the forward - that is literal, not figurative. That you can train so that eventually you have a swing that repeats itself with unthinking involvement is to some outside the realm of possibility - after all the golf swing is "so complex". Still, if you commit to the program I lay out, over time that is exactly what will happen.

And as Allen mentions, improvement in large noticeable chunks will be hard to discern. Especially as you are slogging away in your basement doing static holds and slow motion drills with a weighted pipe or club and no ball, there is a temptation to to say "Does this stuff really work?" That is natural.

So when is the work done? When is your swing "built"? I will answer that question with another question? When did you learn to walk without falling over? The answer is that one day, you just did it, you walked without assistance and stayed on your feet! But how was the walk? Wobbly, slow, jerky. Still you walked. 6 months later your walking had improved more, and a year later there is not a hint of a wobbly or a jerk.

It is the same with building a swing. Is your swing better now than it was? Probably, but it will get better. As Allen shared from his own experience, there will be progress along the way - enough that you can take encouragement from. Enough for you to march on for sure. The more you study the swing, and compare it to the program you are following, the more convinced you become that you are on the right path, which encourages to carry on even more.

My swing is built, but I needed to set a few more things in order and make some improvements. So I ramped up my training, and, as a result of my winter "upgrade" training, I am now pushing close to 130 mph club head speed. I am considering competing in the senior long drive. Is my swing built for that yet? Probably not. To get that extra 5-10 mph probably will take some additional core training, and a higher fitness and flexibility level that I am not sure I am willing to aspire to, even if it may be within my capability. But I have a swing that I can call on and execute with unthinking involvement whether it is my normal 120-125 mph swing or my wannabe long drive swing. So I guess what I am saying is that you will see improvement along the way, and the sky is really the limit.

One of the real big benefits of the book that is overlooked is how you learn a process whereby you disengage the conscious mind and learn to play on automatic. The huge advantage of this should not be overlooked. It is the fourth dimension of golf performance...and you are learning how to do it right along with the correct swing mechanics.

January 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm #6

to be guardedly optimistic. It takes a long time for the changes to filter into your swing as you play on the course. I've been doing the drills daily for a year now. I found that my ball striking has noticeably improved. This has most resulted in straighter and more consistent shot-making. I've only realized modest gains in distance, but I wasn't a short hitter to begin with. A shortish hitter would probably see drastic improvements in distance by now as well.

Be patient. Don't quit if you don't see a marked improvement at first. Remember that if it took an extremely talented Tiger two years to change his swing with constant practice and a highly paid swing coach, that your journey will take some time as well.

As mentioned, I started a year ago and did the exercises for 3 months in the winter without playing. I started the season immediately dropping back to my former 10 handicap having crept up to a 15 over the past four years. By the end of the season, I was an 8, finishing with a season low 76 in November on a very bad weather day. I remember hitting a good tee shot on the 11th hole slightly off line and into a tree. As I stood over my ball facing a 180yd shot under a tree and over a pond fronting the green, I smiled, pulled out my 5-iron with complete confidence and landed it 10 feet from the hole. The previous year if I had to face that shot I would have nervously topped it into the pond 9 times out of 10. That's been the true gift of doing the drills and using Clearkey.

As for Mac's Blueprint book, I think that it is a marvelous combination of Bertholy and Clearkey. It is logically formatted, easy to use, with lots of appropriate pictures to aid in the understanding of the material. It cuts to the chaise of acquiring a fine swing without meandering off point. Well worth the small price. I also believe that the video analysis idea is brilliant. There are very few PGA pros available who understand this material and who could guide you in your efforts. As a result, the video analysis is invaluable in keeping you from practicing the wrong things for too long.
I thank you for your help.

I have always been able to hit the ball a long ways. By i have no consistancy at all. I can hit one long straight drive then hit the next two OB. I can hit a good fairway wod then top the next one. I never know where my ball will go. So no matter what golf type swing I have used and I have tried pretty much them all, I am still a HIGH handicapper. be

So I am excited to working on the exercises in the winter, so I can't be out there hitting balls at this point. That has been part of my problem i look for the quick fix so to speak. This time it the first time i have really been patient and ready to go for it.

I was just curious as to the time table some of you guys have been through after working on the programs-exercises for an extended period of time.

Thanks

January 11th, 2010, 8:50 pm #7

Well I'm one of the people quoted above ( across the pond ), so I would just like to say that I still see continuing improvement. My situation is a little different from Allen's, in that I was always a straight hitter and technically ( I think ) reasonably sound in terms of getting the clubhead back to the ball pointing in roughly the right direction, but felt I lacked that extra "pop" which could take my long game to the next level.

As a result of Kevin's exercises, which I've been doing regularly for around 3 months now, I'm definitely 20 yards longer off the tee, without any loss of accuracy - in fact I think my control has actually improved and I can stand up and hit fade or draw pretty much to order. I'm really compressing the irons too, although since I never hit them full out I haven't noticed more than probably one club difference. Better still, occasionally one really takes off without my quite knowing why, which suggests that there is plenty more to come. I have to say my playing partners are impressed - they've even taken to borrowing my driver to see if that's the reason ! ( it isn't ).

So if you put the work in it will definitely pay off - the exercises combine better swing mechanics with more power, simple as that. And Kevin's enthusiastic personal support is worth more than money can buy !

January 11th, 2010, 9:38 pm #8

David that is good to hear. I have been at it about 2 1/2 mounths. I have not hit any golf balls since before I statred the exersises. We had an early winter here and it looks like it will be a long one. So I probably have 2-3 more mounths before I start up again to work on the exersises.

I am looking forward to spring and seeing some changes in my ball striking.

Thanks

January 12th, 2010, 6:47 pm #9

reply but seeing just Allen's response, here's mine.

The subtitle of the book "Building A Swing You'll Never Forget" - it really states the fundamental objective or goal of the book. As Carey Mumford says in the forward - that is literal, not figurative. That you can train so that eventually you have a swing that repeats itself with unthinking involvement is to some outside the realm of possibility - after all the golf swing is "so complex". Still, if you commit to the program I lay out, over time that is exactly what will happen.

And as Allen mentions, improvement in large noticeable chunks will be hard to discern. Especially as you are slogging away in your basement doing static holds and slow motion drills with a weighted pipe or club and no ball, there is a temptation to to say "Does this stuff really work?" That is natural.

So when is the work done? When is your swing "built"? I will answer that question with another question? When did you learn to walk without falling over? The answer is that one day, you just did it, you walked without assistance and stayed on your feet! But how was the walk? Wobbly, slow, jerky. Still you walked. 6 months later your walking had improved more, and a year later there is not a hint of a wobbly or a jerk.

It is the same with building a swing. Is your swing better now than it was? Probably, but it will get better. As Allen shared from his own experience, there will be progress along the way - enough that you can take encouragement from. Enough for you to march on for sure. The more you study the swing, and compare it to the program you are following, the more convinced you become that you are on the right path, which encourages to carry on even more.

My swing is built, but I needed to set a few more things in order and make some improvements. So I ramped up my training, and, as a result of my winter "upgrade" training, I am now pushing close to 130 mph club head speed. I am considering competing in the senior long drive. Is my swing built for that yet? Probably not. To get that extra 5-10 mph probably will take some additional core training, and a higher fitness and flexibility level that I am not sure I am willing to aspire to, even if it may be within my capability. But I have a swing that I can call on and execute with unthinking involvement whether it is my normal 120-125 mph swing or my wannabe long drive swing. So I guess what I am saying is that you will see improvement along the way, and the sky is really the limit.

One of the real big benefits of the book that is overlooked is how you learn a process whereby you disengage the conscious mind and learn to play on automatic. The huge advantage of this should not be overlooked. It is the fourth dimension of golf performance...and you are learning how to do it right along with the correct swing mechanics.
Ok Mac,,grin
I should have posted sooner..
I really appreciate your work, it is really helping me. I just couldn't get out of the hit mode consistently since I started golf about 8 years ago.
Simple Golf, BGG, IMA, Graves, I had trouble with all of them.. I was Swinging Hard and coming over the top.
Your method, with the book and the Video's on line,has me really consistent now. I have developed some lag,and its a good work in progress, but what has really got me consistent is the magic move to get down to 6/100 position,, It is so easy to do now that I am doing the drills. Now its just making retaining the angle a Habit.. Even if I actively swing through with my hands (which I'm working on pure centrifugal at that point to correct) I still hit the ball as far, or further than I did swinging with upper body centrifugal without the magic move and Bertholy. Also I have started using Clearkey again. Your book is the complete package.
I wish you had this out about 4 years ago, but sure glad I'm a student of yours now.
Thanks again, I believe from my experience that it is the best method out there.. (I have about 40 books and 40 Video's of other methods,so to say this is the best (for Me and I believe for others) is saying a lot.

Ron rofox

January 13th, 2010, 4:13 pm #10

Ron your experiance sounds a lot like mine. I have been playing a few more year than you and maybe tired a few more swing methods. But pretty much the same. I started about 10-11 years ago, and have about every video, DVD, golf book around, always trying to find that secret that can get me to repeatable quality golf swing. Never improved lessons , books, video's etc. none of it has helped. So i am excitited to work on these exersises to get a build a repeatable golf swing.