27 years ago

27 years ago

June 14th, 2009, 5:30 pm #1

I was lookin for something the other day and I ran across some stop action phots from when I was 27 years old and taking lessons from Doug Hofer at Fairway Glenn golf course:
Early on:

After many lessons:

Hof was a student of Ben Doyle and taught a swing method based on 'The Golfing Machine'. I went from a 20 plus handicap to an 8 after taking lessons with Doug. How is that for head over trail knee?

Regards, Herbert

June 14th, 2009, 7:20 pm #2

improvement in impact position! Also large torso lean over the ball ala Mindy Blake in the 'after'.

Peter

June 14th, 2009, 7:37 pm #3

I was lookin for something the other day and I ran across some stop action phots from when I was 27 years old and taking lessons from Doug Hofer at Fairway Glenn golf course:
Early on:

After many lessons:

Hof was a student of Ben Doyle and taught a swing method based on 'The Golfing Machine'. I went from a 20 plus handicap to an 8 after taking lessons with Doug. How is that for head over trail knee?

Regards, Herbert
That's Johnny Miller.

June 14th, 2009, 9:18 pm #4

Early on:

After many lessons:

Regards, Herbert
yardages etc were you hitting then --- equipment??

June 14th, 2009, 9:18 pm #5

Early on:

After many lessons:

Regards, Herbert
I would find Doug and take some more lessons if possible.

Nice pics!!

Ham

June 15th, 2009, 12:37 am #6

Early on:

After many lessons:

Regards, Herbert
Wow, that is a LOT of lag! Could you control it?

June 16th, 2009, 4:39 am #7

Early on:

After many lessons:

Regards, Herbert
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I will try to answer the questions in this post.

That swing was an anomaly. I could not and did not swing like that most of the time. When I did I could really hit it though. I have told the story in the past where I was hitting my seven iron 200 plus on the range one night. Most of the time it was more like 150 and very high. My clubs were Maltby blades with stiff NDS taper shafts tipped a half inch with leather wrapped grips. They were pretty short also built to the old 50's standard length. LOL I was planning to play like a pro so I made some pro type irons. I could not hit the 2 or 3 iron to save my life even solid shots did not go anywhere.

The swing photographed here did not last very long as I read too many articles in magazines and such and I quit taking lessons. One article in particular was by Tom Kite where he talked about how he messed up his swing by getting too much lag and how you should release right from the top. So I did and my swing became serviceable but nothing like the photos.

One reason that I quit the lessons was the amount of bend from the hips that Doug taught. My back would be killing me after a lesson or anytime I practiced. He had me bending 'like you have a bucket of water on your back' even with the driver. I gave up on it and started standing really close to the ball and pretty much straight up until I found out about dynamic lie angle and the fact that I was swinging 4 degrees toe down which made it impossible to hit the ball well or to hit anything but a fade or slice.

I wish that I had been able to access hi speed video in those days and this forum for that matter. I was really serious about my swing and worked a lot harder back then. If I had possessed the Bertholy book back then I would have really worked hard on the drills and might well have become a decent ball striker.

Regards, Herbert
Last edited by gHerbert on June 16th, 2009, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 16th, 2009, 5:14 pm #8

Lag seems to be a high maintenance thing for most folks. If I was a once a month player, I think I'd just stick with my slap it down the middle swing and enjoy the scenery.

June 18th, 2009, 2:13 pm #9

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I will try to answer the questions in this post.

That swing was an anomaly. I could not and did not swing like that most of the time. When I did I could really hit it though. I have told the story in the past where I was hitting my seven iron 200 plus on the range one night. Most of the time it was more like 150 and very high. My clubs were Maltby blades with stiff NDS taper shafts tipped a half inch with leather wrapped grips. They were pretty short also built to the old 50's standard length. LOL I was planning to play like a pro so I made some pro type irons. I could not hit the 2 or 3 iron to save my life even solid shots did not go anywhere.

The swing photographed here did not last very long as I read too many articles in magazines and such and I quit taking lessons. One article in particular was by Tom Kite where he talked about how he messed up his swing by getting too much lag and how you should release right from the top. So I did and my swing became serviceable but nothing like the photos.

One reason that I quit the lessons was the amount of bend from the hips that Doug taught. My back would be killing me after a lesson or anytime I practiced. He had me bending 'like you have a bucket of water on your back' even with the driver. I gave up on it and started standing really close to the ball and pretty much straight up until I found out about dynamic lie angle and the fact that I was swinging 4 degrees toe down which made it impossible to hit the ball well or to hit anything but a fade or slice.

I wish that I had been able to access hi speed video in those days and this forum for that matter. I was really serious about my swing and worked a lot harder back then. If I had possessed the Bertholy book back then I would have really worked hard on the drills and might well have become a decent ball striker.

Regards, Herbert
contributes to the incredible lag in the photos?

JC

June 19th, 2009, 2:21 pm #10

If you keep your trail arm bent you maintain the angle between lead arm and club.

Peter