2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf Videos

2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf Videos

March 16th, 2010, 1:37 am #1

Videos of some lectures from the 2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf including one by Tom Wishon about equipment.

Peter

March 16th, 2010, 7:11 am #2

I watched:
Greg Rose "Cracking the Genetic Code to Golf - Past, Present & Future "
http://golfscience.us/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=60

Listening to this fellow it occurs to me that the research he describes is going to make current golf teaching obsolete and not a moment too soon. I also was struck by the fact that the Bertholy method has a better approach with idea of 'conditioning the body to accept a fine golf swing'. I wonder if a person conditioned by the Bertholy program would test with proper range of motion and stability to indicate a fine golf swing?

Regards, Herbert

March 16th, 2010, 2:09 pm #3

Videos of some lectures from the 2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf including one by Tom Wishon about equipment.

Peter
enjoyed them.

/Rob

March 16th, 2010, 2:22 pm #4

I watched:
Greg Rose "Cracking the Genetic Code to Golf - Past, Present & Future "
http://golfscience.us/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=60

Listening to this fellow it occurs to me that the research he describes is going to make current golf teaching obsolete and not a moment too soon. I also was struck by the fact that the Bertholy method has a better approach with idea of 'conditioning the body to accept a fine golf swing'. I wonder if a person conditioned by the Bertholy program would test with proper range of motion and stability to indicate a fine golf swing?

Regards, Herbert
a least in part the answer is yes. Bertholy's exrcises will train your body to accept positions that infer some of the stability/mobility points he made as well as the sequential motion he described.

Peter

March 17th, 2010, 1:58 pm #5

Peter
some time ago and found them interesting. I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be a 2009 conference. I suppose we can chalk that up to our wonderful economy.

March 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm #6

Conferences are nominally every 4 years <n/t>

March 17th, 2010, 6:31 pm #7

a least in part the answer is yes. Bertholy's exrcises will train your body to accept positions that infer some of the stability/mobility points he made as well as the sequential motion he described.

Peter
The hips are mobile and the trunk is stable if I remember correctly. Then the shoulders are mobile. How would the X factor figure into this theory? The Scapula I think is the mobile part? Does this mean rotationally compared to the hips or is it the arms moving in the shoulder joints? Or is this theory somewhat suspect?

Regards, Herbert

March 17th, 2010, 11:03 pm #8

I believe he said the mid-thoracic spine was mobil which is part of the torso though mobility it typically measured by shoulder rotation. I don't think his comments contradict X-Factor or X-Factor stretch.

Peter

March 18th, 2010, 5:10 am #9

I guess that it goes something like this?

The feet are fairly stable the arch moves a little of course the toes can wiggle a lot.
The ankles are ball and socket joints so they have a lot of movement.
The knees only bend in one plane so they are stable.
The hips are ball and socket joints so they are mobile.
The mid-thoracic spine is stable?
The shoulders are mobile they can move all over the place and the arms are in ball and socket joints.
The elbows are stable as they move in one plane.
The wrists are mobile as we have another ball and socket joint. The forearms themselves can rotate which is rather important to the golf swing.

I am not sure what the importance of all of this is. I guess that if a persons body parts could only move in the proper way that would be ideal for golf that might make for a good swing. Might not be so good for other things though...

Regards, Herbert

March 18th, 2010, 11:48 am #10

"There are five swivel joints and dozens of muscles employed
in a perfect golf swing; they cannot be co-ordinated if you
think of only some of them."

Ike Handy