March 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm #11

I guess that it goes something like this?

The feet are fairly stable the arch moves a little of course the toes can wiggle a lot.
The ankles are ball and socket joints so they have a lot of movement.
The knees only bend in one plane so they are stable.
The hips are ball and socket joints so they are mobile.
The mid-thoracic spine is stable?
The shoulders are mobile they can move all over the place and the arms are in ball and socket joints.
The elbows are stable as they move in one plane.
The wrists are mobile as we have another ball and socket joint. The forearms themselves can rotate which is rather important to the golf swing.

I am not sure what the importance of all of this is. I guess that if a persons body parts could only move in the proper way that would be ideal for golf that might make for a good swing. Might not be so good for other things though...

Regards, Herbert
Your list does not match his and the relevance of that gets to the import of his description: By understanding that there are alternating stable and mobile segments you have a model that allows you to evaluate not only a specific swing but an individual's suitability to a specific swing. So with an evalution of an individual's capacity, say, in thoracic spine mobility to can say that given that capacity the individual has the ability to execute this swing but not this other. If there is a desire to use the other then the individual will need to develop the anatomical capacity to execute it. The 'list' gives you the points of evaluation both for the pro's swing as a model and for the individual to match them to a swing and/or create a program for attaining that capacity.

Peter

March 19th, 2010, 5:01 am #12

That is what happens when I go on memory! What was his list?

He demonstrated a hip sway backswing which is very common amongst hacks. I cured mine by working on it. I don't think that I changed my range of motion any when I made the change I could do it the first time that I tried it. Possibly this means that there are some false conclusions drawn from sketchy evidence? Ah well I am a bit suspicious of chiropractors from the get go anyway...

Regards, Herbert

March 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm #13

remember he says he doesn't do chiropractic now

The quote was:

The body works in an alternating pattern of stable segments connected by mobile joints
If this pattern is altered dysfunction and compensation will occur

The 'stable' segments may actually be 'segments' that contain a joint. The way he went was:

Yes the foot has mobility but its supposed to be stable
The ankle needs to be mobile
The knee needs to be stable
The hip needs to be mobile
The core/Lumbar spine needs to be stable
The thoracic spine needs to be mobile
The scapula needs to be stable
The shoulder needs to be mobile
The elbow needs to stable
The wrist needs to be mobile

As a result of this knowledge they can test for mobility/stability as appropriate per the list and find 'your' model swing.

We can physically screen a player and predict their swing mechanics.

Peter

March 21st, 2010, 5:05 pm #14

Videos of some lectures from the 2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf including one by Tom Wishon about equipment.

Peter
Tom Wishon's talk was really interesting. He is a rather knowledgeable fellow alright. The lack of standards in the golf industry is a bit of a problem. BS sells and the golf industry is proof of that. Today's five iron is yesterday's three iron. I hope that eventually the iron numbering system will go away to be replaced the degrees of loft. That is already happening with wedges and hybrids.

His point that tour pros were playing shorter shafted drivers then ams was rather instructive also. Very interesting that his studies show that the better the swing (more inside out with a late hit) the more benefit from a longer shaft distance wise. I had wondered about that and now I know... A good swing is a good swing with long shaft or a shorter shaft. I guess that since Trahan recommends no wrist cocking in his swing folks who actually do what he says will indeed need 43 inch drivers as he recommends. That sort of swing will not work as well with a longer driver.

It is amazing to me that golfers buy the amount of new equipment every year that they do. Status symbols I guess?

Regards, Herbert

April 9th, 2010, 6:16 am #15

remember he says he doesn't do chiropractic now

The quote was:

The body works in an alternating pattern of stable segments connected by mobile joints
If this pattern is altered dysfunction and compensation will occur

The 'stable' segments may actually be 'segments' that contain a joint. The way he went was:

Yes the foot has mobility but its supposed to be stable
The ankle needs to be mobile
The knee needs to be stable
The hip needs to be mobile
The core/Lumbar spine needs to be stable
The thoracic spine needs to be mobile
The scapula needs to be stable
The shoulder needs to be mobile
The elbow needs to stable
The wrist needs to be mobile

As a result of this knowledge they can test for mobility/stability as appropriate per the list and find 'your' model swing.

We can physically screen a player and predict their swing mechanics.

Peter
I realized after watching the video and checking myself in the mirror and video, I have been trying to make my knees mobile and trying to make my hips stable, duh no wonder my knees and hips are sore after I practice, I turned both feet out alnost like charlie chaplin, what a difference, I can turn sooo much better in both direction and the best part my knee's and hips dont hurt,now I have to work on imprint gotta send a new video to Mac.

Art