question about rotations and residencies in NY

question about rotations and residencies in NY

dandy127
dandy127

February 20th, 2003, 7:03 am #1

I don't understand the NY deal, or other states for
that matter. I saw on the list provided by the school that there are rotations offered in NY. What is the
deal that Saba graduates can't do residencies in
NY? How do I find a list of what states you can/can not
do residencies? I may be confused, but I thought that
as a med student you were limited in what states you could do clinicals, but I thought you could do a residency in any state which accepted you.
Also, does anyone know about Nevada? Can Saba graduates do a residency in Nevada?

Thanks for the clarification.

February 20th, 2003, 3:03 pm #2

New York: Without a site visit and approval, (1) students can do a maximum of 12 weeks of clinical rotations in NY, (2) students cannot do a residency in NY, (3) students CAN still be licensed in NY. SABA already has students licensed in New York. In January, SABA had a site visit by the state of NY and is awaiting their report, which is due in a few months.
If SABA is approved, students will be permitted to do all 72 weeks of rotations in NY and a residency.

California: Presently, students cannot do a residency or be licensed in CA without a site visit. Last month, the CA Board of Medicine approved SABA for a site visit sometime this year. If approved, students will be allowed to do rotations, residency and licensure.

rjclarke
rjclarke

February 20th, 2003, 5:22 pm #3

for the info. It helps a lot.

Fadi
Fadi

March 11th, 2003, 12:02 am #4

I don't understand the NY deal, or other states for
that matter. I saw on the list provided by the school that there are rotations offered in NY. What is the
deal that Saba graduates can't do residencies in
NY? How do I find a list of what states you can/can not
do residencies? I may be confused, but I thought that
as a med student you were limited in what states you could do clinicals, but I thought you could do a residency in any state which accepted you.
Also, does anyone know about Nevada? Can Saba graduates do a residency in Nevada?

Thanks for the clarification.
can u do your rotations and residency in Michigan?

MK
MK

March 19th, 2003, 12:20 am #5

I'm currently looking at residency in MI (2004 Match). While Saba currently has no 3rd year cores set up in the state, there are spots for 4th year electives, and we have several Saba grads in residencies (emergency medicine, IM, radiology), and a few licensed Drs as well. Also, if you happen to know anyone involved in setting up core rotations in Michigan, you can certainly look into arranging these yourself. The Saba office in Gardner can give you more detailed info on this.

Cheers

DSMMD
DSMMD

March 19th, 2003, 11:01 pm #6

can u do your rotations and residency in Michigan?
I do not think that there are any laws precluding you from doing rotations in MI....in fact, there is a hospital system that I know of that has many AUC students and I personally know of some St. Georges students that have done rotations out in MI.

As for residency, there are plenty of Saba grads doing residency in MI....this is not a problem.

chico
chico

October 10th, 2003, 4:22 am #7

New York: Without a site visit and approval, (1) students can do a maximum of 12 weeks of clinical rotations in NY, (2) students cannot do a residency in NY, (3) students CAN still be licensed in NY. SABA already has students licensed in New York. In January, SABA had a site visit by the state of NY and is awaiting their report, which is due in a few months.
If SABA is approved, students will be permitted to do all 72 weeks of rotations in NY and a residency.

California: Presently, students cannot do a residency or be licensed in CA without a site visit. Last month, the CA Board of Medicine approved SABA for a site visit sometime this year. If approved, students will be allowed to do rotations, residency and licensure.
is there any new word regarding the california board. has the inspection taken place yet and has the school obtained approval from california.

hope somebody has an answer