How Can Anyone Compare Saba to Ross?

How Can Anyone Compare Saba to Ross?

Seven Jeans Girl
Seven Jeans Girl

October 3rd, 2002, 12:45 pm #1

I am a little confused...Perhaps someone can explain this to me...I know some people brag about big name schools such as St. George and Ross. However in considering a FMS, it is important to look at some factors:
1. to make sure the school is registered with WHO as well as their clinical placement rates, residency match, etc.
2. also it is wise to look at the percent rate of students who pass the USMLE I. So, by looking at Ross U stats., the number is low as compared with Saba. So, how good can Ross be?

Scott
Scott

October 9th, 2002, 2:45 pm #2

The only thing they care about is your board score and that your grades mirrow hhow you did on the boards. Trust me if you got straight C's in a carribean school and got a 240 on step 1 one may step back and call it a fluke. Get good grades and a good score, the name of the school is inconsequential unless the guy interveiwing you went to that school. Your ERAS application will show it all. Right now at least at Harbor and Union In Baltimore the Saba scores are kicking major ass as my class and apparently the one before had some major high scores so right now Saba is a legend. However this Im sure will cycle and Ross or AUC or St. Georges will take the spot light for a time. Saba has to its credit kicked out some good students and beleive me there is absolutely no difference in how we are looked at to how St. Georges is looked at. I have to be honest if I could not go to SAba or MUA I consider going to ST. Christophers in England. I have been rotating with many students and have heard nothing but decent comments overall. That is another impressive school who is an up and comer with a decent home office that seems to know what the heck they are doing. In a matter of 6 years it also has a tremendous US clinical list. HOwever it is expensive to live and England and Saba living is dirt cheap. You are not going to get a room in England for 250-300 a month like on SABA. Saba is extremely reasonable and probably one of the cheapest islands to live on down there. But apparently back on the subject of St. Christophers.....They recently got some sort approval of European or British Approval which apparently makes them recognized to a greater degree. If dollar and cents matter and you want US clincals my ranking would be 1. Saba 2. MUA 3. St Christophers. If money is no object 1. St. Georges 2. Saba 3. Ross (you gotta like the fact 5th smemester is in Miami :) 4. MUA 5. St. Christophers 6. AUC (mainly because of an overwhelming student dissatisfaction which continues even as I talk to AUC students here at Harbor and Union.

October 10th, 2002, 10:56 pm #3

Scott,

With all do respect, I need to call you on this one. For some residencies, this is the case; however, for many of them, this is not the case. There are definitely programs that do look at foreign medical schools differently.

For instance, just look at the number of people who have obtained some of the more "sought after" residencies such as Ortho, Optho (I know Saba has one now), ENT, Derm, etc. Yes, these are hard for US students to get, and even harder for IMGs to obtain; however, I think that you will see that those from schools like Ross and St. Georges are more likely to have opportunities to get them.

Trust me, when I was on the interview scene, I know of students from the "more prestigious" schools that got more interviews than I did despite me having higher board scores and coming from Saba. I was denied interviews from programs when they saw that I was from Saba (They did not even have downloaded my grades, board scores, letters of Rec, etc.)

I think that I can safely say that at this time, there are many more people that know of St. Georges and will probably extend more interviews to those from St. Georges than to those from Saba.

Once again, I have been through the process, I have seen it first hand, and I speak from experience.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 11th, 2002, 2:32 am #4

The only thing they care about is your board score and that your grades mirrow hhow you did on the boards. Trust me if you got straight C's in a carribean school and got a 240 on step 1 one may step back and call it a fluke. Get good grades and a good score, the name of the school is inconsequential unless the guy interveiwing you went to that school. Your ERAS application will show it all. Right now at least at Harbor and Union In Baltimore the Saba scores are kicking major ass as my class and apparently the one before had some major high scores so right now Saba is a legend. However this Im sure will cycle and Ross or AUC or St. Georges will take the spot light for a time. Saba has to its credit kicked out some good students and beleive me there is absolutely no difference in how we are looked at to how St. Georges is looked at. I have to be honest if I could not go to SAba or MUA I consider going to ST. Christophers in England. I have been rotating with many students and have heard nothing but decent comments overall. That is another impressive school who is an up and comer with a decent home office that seems to know what the heck they are doing. In a matter of 6 years it also has a tremendous US clinical list. HOwever it is expensive to live and England and Saba living is dirt cheap. You are not going to get a room in England for 250-300 a month like on SABA. Saba is extremely reasonable and probably one of the cheapest islands to live on down there. But apparently back on the subject of St. Christophers.....They recently got some sort approval of European or British Approval which apparently makes them recognized to a greater degree. If dollar and cents matter and you want US clincals my ranking would be 1. Saba 2. MUA 3. St Christophers. If money is no object 1. St. Georges 2. Saba 3. Ross (you gotta like the fact 5th smemester is in Miami :) 4. MUA 5. St. Christophers 6. AUC (mainly because of an overwhelming student dissatisfaction which continues even as I talk to AUC students here at Harbor and Union.
I don't plan to attend SMU, too expensive. the school has clinical sites in the US, has residents in trainings.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 11th, 2002, 3:10 am #5

Scott,

With all do respect, I need to call you on this one. For some residencies, this is the case; however, for many of them, this is not the case. There are definitely programs that do look at foreign medical schools differently.

For instance, just look at the number of people who have obtained some of the more "sought after" residencies such as Ortho, Optho (I know Saba has one now), ENT, Derm, etc. Yes, these are hard for US students to get, and even harder for IMGs to obtain; however, I think that you will see that those from schools like Ross and St. Georges are more likely to have opportunities to get them.

Trust me, when I was on the interview scene, I know of students from the "more prestigious" schools that got more interviews than I did despite me having higher board scores and coming from Saba. I was denied interviews from programs when they saw that I was from Saba (They did not even have downloaded my grades, board scores, letters of Rec, etc.)

I think that I can safely say that at this time, there are many more people that know of St. Georges and will probably extend more interviews to those from St. Georges than to those from Saba.

Once again, I have been through the process, I have seen it first hand, and I speak from experience.
may be when you applied, SABA were brand new so they haven't heard of the school yet. Another thing is that if for some reason they don't like someone (after they interviewed the person) of course they wouldn't pick that person regardless of the score, school attended. Would you pick some elegant person who has the top score or a person who has a decent score but has more qualified characters? You mentioned that they picked someone over you, maybe that interviewee has characters that impressed the interviewers (i'm not putting you down). Therefore, I don't think it was because of the school; otherwise you wouldn't be invited for that particular interview.

People often compare one caribbean school to another, if you compare the lowest standard carribbean school to some school in China, Vietname (i mentioned these countries b/c i have been treated by a few doctors from those regions before) or some none-English speaking countries, the caribbean school will becomes famous to the US students. However, I don't think the residency program look at it that way, because i have seen many asian doctors at UCLA, UCIrvine, UCDavis, Berkley ...(Ivy-league huh) who are in all range of practice; these guys have a heavy accent, spoke poor English, some was learning how to communicate in English while they were in residency training, many of them even have been teaching medical students at the schools mentioned earlier.

Finally, i don't think it really matters where you when to medical school (of course it has to be listed in the WHO). I think what matter is that your usmle scores and the way you carry yourself.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 11th, 2002, 4:07 am #6

I am a little confused...Perhaps someone can explain this to me...I know some people brag about big name schools such as St. George and Ross. However in considering a FMS, it is important to look at some factors:
1. to make sure the school is registered with WHO as well as their clinical placement rates, residency match, etc.
2. also it is wise to look at the percent rate of students who pass the USMLE I. So, by looking at Ross U stats., the number is low as compared with Saba. So, how good can Ross be?
It's not, if you don't care about CA

Scott
Scott

October 11th, 2002, 7:48 pm #7

Scott,

Saba takes only 40 students roughly a sememster and certainly because of its relative new age does not attract the caliber of students that St. Georges attracts and of course this reflects in the board scores which ultimately decides the type of residency. Your point is well taken since st. george has many more students in residency positions who help make decisions on who gets where but trust me as saba pumps out more graduates and higher scores we will catch up quick and already are.

peter
peter

October 17th, 2002, 4:19 pm #8

ok st chris recruter , go to the ecfmg site and see it yourself st. chris started 2 years ago how would it be 6 years ????!!!!