Hello to all fellow saba students

Hello to all fellow saba students

Jeffrey P. Johnson
Jeffrey P. Johnson

June 14th, 2002, 3:47 am #1

Hi, my name is Jeff and I have been accepted into the Jan 2003 class. I just wanted to post a message and see if anyone else who will be attending or is attending would like to chat.

Nicci
Nicci

June 22nd, 2002, 7:43 pm #2

Hi, I recently was accepted into Saba for the Jan 2003 matriculating class. Saba was the only school I applied to. I am wondering if I should apply to schools in the US too. I have my doubts about attending a Foreign school because of the stigma of such and residency problems. Have you heard of anything related to such? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Nicci

Jeffrey P. Johnson
Jeffrey P. Johnson

June 25th, 2002, 4:00 pm #3

Hello Nicci, I also have been admitted to the Jan class and I too have concerns about the stigma of attending a Caribbean school and the difficulty of obtaining a competitive residency. When I first considered the option of attening a foreign school I contacted a someone I knew who had attended Saba. He is a surgical resident in Cincinnati and was very helpful. What he told me is to consider the Caribbean schools as a real and viable option. You will have the opportunity to take the boards and if you do well you have a good chance of obtaining a residency. He did tell me--if I understood him correctly--that the chances of obtaining a competitive residency (Dermotology, opthamology ortho. ect.) is more difficult because foreign studnets are the frist cut when they apply for training programs such as these. He did get a surgical spot and he had to do what is called scrambling because he did not match right away. I am not exactly sure about the specifics of this process so I would hesitate to explain it. The bottom line for me is that this is my only option other than graduate school. I did not always want to be a physician and because of this my overall GPA is low. I did not want to spend the thousands of dollars necessary to apply to US schools for several years when my chances were not that great anyway. The last thing he told me and I have heard from other health care professionals is once you reach your residency and you are a physician, no one cares where you went to school. Your performance dictates how you are seen by your coworkers.
I still have some apprehension but I am certain this is the right decision for me. Saba is a wonderful opportuninty, exceptional for the price and the condition of the island I can not wait. I hope you are able to decide what is best for you and I hope my message is helpful.
Lastly, I read in the NY times back in May that there is a class action, anti-trust lawsuit against the residency match program. According to the article, if the platiffs case holds up the way physicians are matched and trained could change a great deal and this could affect our chances of getting a residency.

Jeff-

Nicci
Nicci

June 25th, 2002, 9:48 pm #4

Hey Jeff, just wanted to say thanks for the info-it really helped ease my mind about Saba! I have also heard the same things you have about residency and a competetive speciality such as ortho, derm, etc. However, I plan on being an ob/gyn or peds doc so that doesn't apply to me, right? I think I am going to take the opportunity and attend Saba, even though I have done everything else right, my Mcat's were low and I too do not feel like wasting a year and money applying to a US school. I would love to get your e-mail and catch up with you and maybe even get together when we both leave for the island. I live in Harrisburg, Pa, where are you from-Connecticut? I hope to hear from you soon! Feel free to e-mail me at home Nicci325I@aol.com or respond on the forum-take care! Nicci

PUD
PUD

June 26th, 2002, 7:33 pm #5

Hello Nicci, I also have been admitted to the Jan class and I too have concerns about the stigma of attending a Caribbean school and the difficulty of obtaining a competitive residency. When I first considered the option of attening a foreign school I contacted a someone I knew who had attended Saba. He is a surgical resident in Cincinnati and was very helpful. What he told me is to consider the Caribbean schools as a real and viable option. You will have the opportunity to take the boards and if you do well you have a good chance of obtaining a residency. He did tell me--if I understood him correctly--that the chances of obtaining a competitive residency (Dermotology, opthamology ortho. ect.) is more difficult because foreign studnets are the frist cut when they apply for training programs such as these. He did get a surgical spot and he had to do what is called scrambling because he did not match right away. I am not exactly sure about the specifics of this process so I would hesitate to explain it. The bottom line for me is that this is my only option other than graduate school. I did not always want to be a physician and because of this my overall GPA is low. I did not want to spend the thousands of dollars necessary to apply to US schools for several years when my chances were not that great anyway. The last thing he told me and I have heard from other health care professionals is once you reach your residency and you are a physician, no one cares where you went to school. Your performance dictates how you are seen by your coworkers.
I still have some apprehension but I am certain this is the right decision for me. Saba is a wonderful opportuninty, exceptional for the price and the condition of the island I can not wait. I hope you are able to decide what is best for you and I hope my message is helpful.
Lastly, I read in the NY times back in May that there is a class action, anti-trust lawsuit against the residency match program. According to the article, if the platiffs case holds up the way physicians are matched and trained could change a great deal and this could affect our chances of getting a residency.

Jeff-
this anti-trust suit, will it affect the match in a positive or negative way for foreign medical students? thanks, pud

ngassa
ngassa

June 29th, 2002, 12:33 am #6

Hey Jeff, just wanted to say thanks for the info-it really helped ease my mind about Saba! I have also heard the same things you have about residency and a competetive speciality such as ortho, derm, etc. However, I plan on being an ob/gyn or peds doc so that doesn't apply to me, right? I think I am going to take the opportunity and attend Saba, even though I have done everything else right, my Mcat's were low and I too do not feel like wasting a year and money applying to a US school. I would love to get your e-mail and catch up with you and maybe even get together when we both leave for the island. I live in Harrisburg, Pa, where are you from-Connecticut? I hope to hear from you soon! Feel free to e-mail me at home Nicci325I@aol.com or respond on the forum-take care! Nicci
Hello future docs. I would like first to congratulate you for being accepted into Saba Med. Schl. I'm non-USA citizen currently in process of applying to U.S. med schools and Carribean med schools, SABA included. I know I don't have a great chance of being accepted to US but I am going to try anyway. So, hopefully, I will join you in Carribean.
Congratulations and good luck to you all!

Jenna Brandt
Jenna Brandt

July 1st, 2002, 4:17 pm #7

Hi, I recently was accepted into Saba for the Jan 2003 matriculating class. Saba was the only school I applied to. I am wondering if I should apply to schools in the US too. I have my doubts about attending a Foreign school because of the stigma of such and residency problems. Have you heard of anything related to such? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Nicci
Hi Nicci,
I know what you must be going through. I am applying to SABA for the January 2003 entering class. I am wondering the same thing, will we have problems later on in securing a good residency? I know somwone who had graduated from St. George, and he's double board certified in internal and pediatrics. I have looked at some of the past Saba graduates and they have gotten residencies at some great schools. let's hope for the best, feel free to contact me. Good luck!

Jenna

Jenna Brandt
Jenna Brandt

July 1st, 2002, 4:23 pm #8

Jeff-
Hi Jeff,
I came across your message, like you and Nicci I am applying to Saba (JAn. 2003 class). My MCAT scores are not too great and I just don't want to waste anymore time. I hope to hear from you.

jenna