Computer Recommendations

Computer Recommendations

Carey
Carey

September 27th, 2002, 9:32 pm #1

I'm sure this has been posted before, but unfortunately this type of web site does not allow itself the organization necessary to find such information....hence I'm forced to ask a question you may all be tired of hearing.
Please respond in sincerity though, it will be much appreciated.
I am currently set up with Mac systems/software, and wonder whether I'd be a lone ranger amidst PC people when I come to the islands to learn. Would it be best to sell off my stuff and start from scratch with a flavor of Windows? Or...since I already have a laptop Mac, printer, zip drive, and the rest of the kitchen sink, including Microsoft's Office Suite (packaged with Word, Excel and Power Point) ....will I be OK with my current setup. Please advice --- thank you..
BTW - if I had to start over...I'm cool with software for PC. The only expense would be the PC itself...not sure if that would weigh heavily on advice someone may offer. Again, thanks.

Mike
Mike

October 1st, 2002, 12:14 am #2

If you have Powerpoint, you will be okay as long as you can copy a document from Powerpoint made on a Windows computer and use it on your computer. I am not a computer expert in any means. I think the main problem you might encounter would be that some students have programs that get "shared" amongst students. You may not be able to use those, which, many times, are useful. If you have the finances, buy a new laptop, get insurance (extended warranty), and have one less thing to worry about down there. Dude, you're getting a Dell! :)

Patrik
Patrik

October 7th, 2002, 12:41 am #3

I'm sure this has been posted before, but unfortunately this type of web site does not allow itself the organization necessary to find such information....hence I'm forced to ask a question you may all be tired of hearing.
I am currently set up with Mac systems/software, and wonder whether I'd be a lone ranger amidst PC people when I come to the islands to learn. Would it be best to sell off my stuff and start from scratch with a flavor of Windows? Or...since I already have a laptop Mac, printer, zip drive, and the rest of the kitchen sink, including Microsoft's Office Suite (packaged with Word, Excel and Power Point) ....will I be OK with my current setup. Please advice --- thank you..
BTW - if I had to start over...I'm cool with software for PC. The only expense would be the PC itself...not sure if that would weigh heavily on advice someone may offer. Again, thanks.
Like Mike said, primarily what you need is the ability to save and view the professor's lectures which are created in Powerpoint on Windows machines, but should open fine on your MS office for Mac. Your problem however from what I can tell would be getting the files from the PC at the school, onto your laptop. You mentioned that you have a ZIP drive, which is great, that's how 99% of students get files from the PC's at the school onto their personal machines (a few of us use USB memory drives instead), however, the problem I forsee you running into is that I believe that your Zip disk will be formatted for a mac, whereas to be written to and read at the school, it will need to be formatted for a PC. I honestly don't know if there is a formatting difference for USB memory drives or not, but that might be a good option if you're wanting to avoid spending the dough on a whole new system. Other than that problem, don't expect to get any help from anyone if anything goes wrong with your Mac (I know I know, macs are great and wonderful, nothing ever goes wrong with them) but if it did, no one on the island knows anything about them to help you fix it. So the way I see it, what it boils down to is if you like your mac, don't want to buy a whole new system, and can find a way to get the files from the PC's at the school onto your mac, you'll be fine keeping it. Other computer recommendations are to bring however many print cartridges for your printer you think you might need b/c they're about $80+ US here, if they have the one for your printer that is. Also zip disks which if you plan on using, are 2-3 times as expensive as in the states. Same for printer paper, especially photo paper.

bigrock
bigrock

October 8th, 2002, 6:27 am #4

All you need is a zip drive and MS office. If you get Virtual PC you can run any PC program. I did all 5 semesters on the island with a MAC--no problem.

Charley
Charley

October 9th, 2002, 8:02 pm #5

Can anyone tell me the importance of having a zip drive. I really know what they do and what are the reasons for having one. Thanks, Charley

Carey
Carey

October 10th, 2002, 2:49 pm #6

All you need is a zip drive and MS office. If you get Virtual PC you can run any PC program. I did all 5 semesters on the island with a MAC--no problem.
Glad to know another Mac user. I think I'll hold off on the Virtual PC....anything to keep from going to the dark side.
BTW- mind clueing me in on your system (hardware/software) setup?

Penguindy B
Penguindy B

October 11th, 2002, 1:37 am #7

Can anyone tell me the importance of having a zip drive. I really know what they do and what are the reasons for having one. Thanks, Charley
You really need a zip drive because all the lectures will be stored in really large files. The two drives that the computers at the labs have are floppy and zip. In order to store the files in a portable disk, you need zip drive and zip disks to dup those lectures.

Charley Robinson DC
Charley Robinson DC

October 16th, 2002, 4:09 pm #8

I wanted to thank you for your reply. Now I understand the purpose for a Zip drive, to be able to download the info from the lectures i.e. powerpoint, verses using a CDRW or floppy drive. Thanks, Charley

Carey
Carey

October 20th, 2002, 4:14 am #9

If you haven't yet purchased a zip disk/drive, and have a USB port, you may be interested in purchasing a removeable Cruzer USB disk. I just picked one up (though I do have a Zip Drive/disks already). It's a great device and is very small. I've had it about a month now and so far, so good. You don't need to install any user software to get it to work. As soon as you plug it in, it mounts onto your desktop like any other removeable drive and you can simply copy files to it. Since I have a Mac, I thought this wasgreat way to share files more quickly with my PeeCee-using friends. The product is PC-compatible too. Here's a link to the company site.
http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/cruzer.asp
I picked mine up from my local discount tech. store (Best Buy)
The Cruzer uses tiny removeable media, the kind that are used in digital cameras or Palm Pilots. The parent company (San Disk) makes the cards and you can buy additional ones, but one comes with the unit already.
I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but just trying to share some insight into a cool techy product.
BTW- Sony makes a similar device, but I didn't want to pay more for the name, especially since it didn't have removeable/upgradeable cards (perhaps they make other models)...and,although the Sony had a 128 MB capacity, the Cruzer, with it's removeable card is also 128 MB, and... not only can I buy additional cards (which are cheaper for the smaller capacity versions), but I can use the cards in my Palm.

Boozthethird2000
Boozthethird2000

March 4th, 2003, 5:03 pm #10

Like Mike said, primarily what you need is the ability to save and view the professor's lectures which are created in Powerpoint on Windows machines, but should open fine on your MS office for Mac. Your problem however from what I can tell would be getting the files from the PC at the school, onto your laptop. You mentioned that you have a ZIP drive, which is great, that's how 99% of students get files from the PC's at the school onto their personal machines (a few of us use USB memory drives instead), however, the problem I forsee you running into is that I believe that your Zip disk will be formatted for a mac, whereas to be written to and read at the school, it will need to be formatted for a PC. I honestly don't know if there is a formatting difference for USB memory drives or not, but that might be a good option if you're wanting to avoid spending the dough on a whole new system. Other than that problem, don't expect to get any help from anyone if anything goes wrong with your Mac (I know I know, macs are great and wonderful, nothing ever goes wrong with them) but if it did, no one on the island knows anything about them to help you fix it. So the way I see it, what it boils down to is if you like your mac, don't want to buy a whole new system, and can find a way to get the files from the PC's at the school onto your mac, you'll be fine keeping it. Other computer recommendations are to bring however many print cartridges for your printer you think you might need b/c they're about $80+ US here, if they have the one for your printer that is. Also zip disks which if you plan on using, are 2-3 times as expensive as in the states. Same for printer paper, especially photo paper.
Hello!

I was just wondering if any one could help me getting my laptop ready for what awaits me at the island. It's a new HP(hp pavilion xt412). I do not know much about computer.
All I've bought so far is a portable printer, a USB Floppy. I'm thinking about buying a digital camera as well. I do not even have Microsoft Word.

Please help