What is the meaning of "El Kahlil" ?

Topics related to Biblical languages.

What is the meaning of "El Kahlil" ?

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

03 May 2012, 13:12 #1

Dear all,
There is a series of Chinese worship songs with the name "El Kahlil". But I don't know the meaning and origin of the word. I googled but it seems only a people's name is from the result.
So what is the meaning of the word "El Kahlil"? El maybe stands for God?

thanks
Michael HUO
Reply
Like

yvieraebrae
RTI Guru
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 04:10

07 May 2012, 01:35 #2

huo:17018 wrote:Dear all,
There is a series of Chinese worship songs with the name "El Kahlil". But I don't know the meaning and origin of the word. I googled but it seems only a people's name is from the result.
So what is the meaning of the word "El Kahlil"? El maybe stands for God?

thanks
Hello Huo,

I did a google search and found the following, and cannot come up with "El Kahlil", only El Khalil" which The English Collins dictionary defines as:


El Khalil
n transliteration of the Arabic name for → Hebron

English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus


Hebron
n a city in the West Bank: famous for the Haram, which includes the cenotaphs of Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, and Jacob and Leah. Pop.: 80000 (1990 est.), (Arabic name) El Khalil


English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus



In Christ,

Yvonne
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7
Reply
Like

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

07 May 2012, 01:50 #3

yvieraebrae:17035 wrote: Hello Huo,

I did a google search and found the following:

Hope this helps.

In Christ,

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
Thank you very much for your kind help. It seems this word is not a popular word in English world like the "Ebenezer"
Michael HUO
Reply
Like

yvieraebrae
RTI Guru
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 04:10

07 May 2012, 02:30 #4

yvieraebrae:17035 wrote:
huo:17018 wrote:Dear all,
There is a series of Chinese worship songs with the name "El Kahlil". But I don't know the meaning and origin of the word. I googled but it seems only a people's name is from the result.
So what is the meaning of the word "El Kahlil"? El maybe stands for God?

thanks
Hello Huo,

I did a google search and found the following, and cannot come up with "El Kahlil", only El Khalil" which The English Collins dictionary defines as:


El Khalil
n transliteration of the Arabic name for → Hebron

English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus


Hebron
n a city in the West Bank: famous for the Haram, which includes the cenotaphs of Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, and Jacob and Leah. Pop.: 80000 (1990 est.), (Arabic name) El Khalil


English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus



In Christ,

Yvonne
Huo,

Could you have spelled it wrong?  Or, could this be a translation from Chinese to English problem?  How is the word used in the sentence?  Does the name of a city make sense?
Hope this helps.

Yvonne
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7
Reply
Like

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

07 May 2012, 02:52 #5

yvieraebrae:17037 wrote: Huo,

Could you have spelled it wrong? Or, could this be a translation from Chinese to English problem? How is the word used in the sentence? Does the name of a city make sense?
Hope this helps.

Yvonne
El Kahlil(组曲)
词曲:陈天赐
专辑:传神的歌(1)

《上帝的朋友 》

(神说:因为他专心爱我,
我就要搭救他。
因为他知道我的名,
我要把他安置在高处。
他若求告我,我就应允他。
他在急难中,我要与他同在。
我要搭救他,使他尊贵。
我要使他足享长寿
将的我救恩显明给他。)

荣耀的真神,竟然为罪人降生
背负十架,使我生命得重生
一生赞美你,因你伴我度荆棘
你的恩惠,是我生命的印记
我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
慈爱将永远追随我,如众山围绕我
直到永远,你不忘记这承诺

风雨浪涛中,我仍安稳不移动
你的同在,使我不停地歌颂
创造我的神,使我躺卧草原中
海阔天空,象征我俩情意浓
我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
慈爱将永远追随我,如众山围绕我
直到永远,你不忘记这承诺

我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
慈爱将永远追随我,如众山围绕我
直到永远,你不忘记这承诺
直到永远,你不忘记这承诺


http://www.zanmeishi.com/song/13008.html


translated by Google translation:

El Mark Twain. ● (Suite)
Lyrics: Chen providential
Album: vivid songs (1)

"Friend of God"

(God said: 'Because he loves me,
I will rescue him.
Because he knows my name,
I take him up on high.
When he calls me, I will answer him.
He was in trouble, I want to be with him in.
I will deliver him and honor him.
I satisfy him and longevity
Will be the salvation revealed to him. )

The glory of the true God, even born sinners
To bear the cross of my life to be born again
Life praise you, for you with my degree thorns
Your grace is the imprint of my life
I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
Mercy will follow me forever, such as the hills around
Forever, you do not forget this promise

Storm waves, I still stable without moving the
You the same, so I kept praise
Create my God makes me lie down in the grasslands
A brighter future, a symbol of affection thick we
I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
Mercy will follow me forever, such as the hills around
Forever, you do not forget this promise

I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
I EL KAHLIL, the friend of God
Mercy will follow me forever, such as the hills around
Forever, you do not forget this promise
Forever, you do not forget this promise


thanks
Michael HUO
Reply
Like

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

07 May 2012, 02:54 #6

huo:17038 wrote:
yvieraebrae:17037 wrote:
My translation:


我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God

我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God
Michael HUO
Reply
Like

yvieraebrae
RTI Guru
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 04:10

07 May 2012, 03:58 #7

huo:17039 wrote:
huo:17038 wrote:
yvieraebrae:17037 wrote:
My translation:


我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God

我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God
I agree with you.  Hebron does not fit.  
EL KAHLIL must mean _friend of God.

What a beautiful song.

Yvonne

Yvonne
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7
Reply
Like

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

07 May 2012, 04:02 #8

yvieraebrae:17040 wrote:
huo:17039 wrote:
huo:17038 wrote: My translation:


我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God

我是EL KAHLIL,上帝的朋友
I am "El KAHLIL", friend of God
I agree with you. Hebron does not fit.
EL KAHLIL must mean _friend of God.

What a beautiful song.

Yvonne

Yvonne
Thank you Yvonne,
Is it a Hebrew word?
Michael HUO
Reply
Like

huo
Committed Member
huo
Committed Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 02:59

07 May 2012, 05:39 #9

yvieraebrae:17035 wrote:
huo:17018 wrote:Dear all,
There is a series of Chinese worship songs with the name "El Kahlil". But I don't know the meaning and origin of the word. I googled but it seems only a people's name is from the result.
So what is the meaning of the word "El Kahlil"? El maybe stands for God?

thanks
Hello Huo,

I did a google search and found the following, and cannot come up with "El Kahlil", only El Khalil" which The English Collins dictionary defines as:


El Khalil
n transliteration of the Arabic name for → Hebron

English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus


Hebron
n a city in the West Bank: famous for the Haram, which includes the cenotaphs of Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, and Jacob and Leah. Pop.: 80000 (1990 est.), (Arabic name) El Khalil


English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus



In Christ,

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
Thanks God!
A Chinese Christian found this:

Hi,

I found this online

... it is quite certain that among the Jewish people, Abraham was frequently spoken of as, the Friendof God. At this present moment, among the Arabs and other Muslims, the name of Abraham is not often mentioned, butthey speak of him as Khalil Allah, or, the Friend of God, or more briefly as El Khalil, the Friend.

Abraham was buried in Hebron. That place was called "Kirjatharba " before and later may get the new name "Hebron" b/c Abraham is "the Friend of God".
Michael HUO
Reply
Like