RTI RTOW: Where does someone read religious news?

Ask Mr. Religion
Site Founder

4:00 AM - Apr 29, 2018 #1

Where does someone read religious news? What is your favorite site, bog, etc., for reading religious news?
AMR (a.k.a. Patrick)
Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

Ask Mr. Religion
Site Founder

4:01 AM - Apr 29, 2018 #2

Lately, I have been frequenting this site, by the founder of Babylon Bee:

https://www.christiandailyreporter.com/
AMR (a.k.a. Patrick)
Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

BruceMcInnes

1:31 PM - May 03, 2018 #3

Even though it is a Roman Catholic site many evangelicals use https://www.shoebat.com as a news feed that focuses on the persecution of Christians as well as current events. Some articles are not for the squeamish.

Markus Leoninus
Sustaining Member
Markus Leoninus
Sustaining Member

5:33 AM - May 13, 2018 #4

I personally think that a Christian news service is basically a good idea, but there are certain things we don't and certain things we do need for such an outlet to be what it should be, in my humble opinion.

We need a media source that features a genuinely sound biblical, theological angle and perspective on the day's events, a truly Christian world and life view, a take that views all things through the lens or spectacles (Calvin's always brilliant way of saying things) of Holy Scripture. For the events of the day and of the past involve moral agents, and inevitably involve moral issues and consequences. Needless to say, pretty much nothing in mainstream media even comes close to that perspective. It offers aplenty for the hip, the slick, and the cool, for the pop-culture crowd, for the person who wants to be trendy and/or "politically correct". But truth and Christianity ain't one of corporate media's strong points. Fact is, mainstream media talking heads have a hard enough time just being honest (instead of reading scripts from teleprompters written by professional social engineers and crafters of culture conducive to power elite interests) and being commonly decent and avoiding the kind of party-oriented hypocrisy that inundates mainstream media these days.

The evangelical angle must always factor in as the ultimate advice to viewers who are daily caught up or affected, directly or indirectly, with moral dilemmas and the issues of the soul and of eternity. For instance, many seem to imagine that in some sense government is a nanny. Indeed, we have to a considerable degree the development of a nanny state (and she's not a good grandmother but a weak and reckless sister), a "big brother" situation, essentially such as Orwell wrote about as far back as the 40's, set forth in his dystopian novel "1984". Many drink the kool-aid, and need to be informed that government officials, even good or righteous ones, are not saviours, and were never intended to be.
We'd do well in a Christian news outlet, also, to have a good historian (genuine researchers and truth-tellers, not revisionist ideologues) or two involved; bearing in mind the philosopher Santayana's statement that people who do not know or, indeed, forget or misinterpret the past, are doomed to repeat it's undesirable consequences now and for time to come. Yeah, I kinda fleshed out the philosopher's actual words, ;)
Historical perspective is important, singualrly so in many cases. Many must learn that a good definition of insanity is doing the same dangerous and hurtful things over and over again while expecting different results. The ideological factor that controls the narratives for ill are tremendous these days. Only pure truth sets free, and it alone is a lighthouse to guide away from reefs that have wrecked us more times than we can count already.

I think that what we do not need in a Christian news service is any baptized version of corporate, mainstream news media; not even a Christian version of FOX News Channel. This is not the thread, I suppose, to express in detail my basic view of corporate media in general... that it is essentially a propaganda mouthpiece, a PR firm, for the power elite (who rarely have the interests of "we the people" in mind, if ever, in fact); though maybe I'll expand on that sometime in a thread devoted to the topic. For the moment consider that in 1980 or so, mainstream outlet ownership was distributed among some 50+ companies. The number is now down to 6. Do the math, and don't be taken by the monopoly.
The social-engineering power elite own that media.
Who do you suppose controls the narratives and shapes the thoughts and feelings of viewers and listeners?
And for whose benefit?

Perhaps none here need persuading that certain (the overwhelming majority, in fact) mainstream outlets have a very, very radical anti-constitutional bent and, most glaringly, are not at all on board with anything like biblical morality and Christianity. Does that color their perspective, and the "news" they deliver? Yes, absolutely. Indeed, I suspect that goes without saying.
Now, I think that most professing Christians are of a conservative bent and have a basic understanding and respect for the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and so on. They also have the Book of Books to infallibly guide their judgment with regard to all news items that come down the pike; assuming they use that guide like they should, placing it even well above the Constitution, in fact, for God is not a man with limitations of any kind, moral or cognitive, but the perfectly righteous, infallible and omniscient One, the Judge of all the earth who is always right and always does right; and also reveals things to His people that those not enlightened by the Spirit will fail to perceive, though it be set right before them.
But Christians have had few options available in terms of news that has that unique Christian angle. Because they are conservative, I think that many Christians opt for outlets among the alphabet conglomerates like FOX News Channel. I must resist, I guess, the urge to bring forth examples not a few, but I've seen some of the talking heads on that "conservative" channel promote "homosexual" unions and/or marriage, for instance. One such talking head, no longer with the network, had a converted former homosexual on his show, and it wasn't long before he flew his colors in response to the guest. When the guy told him that he and his team ministered the Gospel of faith and repentance to the "homosexual" community, the talking head cut him short and told him he was, or had become, "a fanatic"! FNC folk might dig Jn. 3:16, and render some lip-service to it (though they really don't get that very well, or in light of Scripture rightly divided), but they have no use for the warnings about Sodom and Gomorrah, and clearly despise Paul's perspctive in Romans 1. And just (not so) little things like that which are more characteristic of FOX attitudes towards thoroughgoing biblical Christianity than some want to think or consider, is one reason we don't need a baptized version of FNC.
FNC, incidentally, is more neoconservative than genuine old-school conservative, anyway. Though much of their morality is intact, some Christians are taken with the neocon agenda. And that is not good.
There is a major difference between old-school conservatism and neoconservatism, trust me; between thoroughgoing Constitutionalists, on the one hand, and dangerous ideologues behind neoconservatism's curtain, with the fancier, more eloquent mouthpieces among them regualrly featured as "experts" on this or that dicey, nuclear-charged policy issue on FNC. But, again, I digress for now.

I'm no celebrated expert, but I have for some years analyzed media (in the broad, inclusive sense), domestic and foreign policy issues, geopolitics, globalism (sometimes called the push for a "New World Order", and all that this entails), militarism, police-state developments, the so-called "global war on terrorism", corporatism, matters pertaining to what Eisenhower (Jan., '61, Farewell Address to the Nation) referred to as "the military/industrial complex", with its unwarranted influences over the government and, of course, how all of society under it can be quite adversely affected... a memo too many people seem not to have received, incidentally; which is a shame because it was virtually a prophetic utterance from Ike, and explains why we sit on a powderkeg at all times, increasingly so with each passing day, and currently are stacking the national debt to foot the bills like crazy (which is fine with the private bankers that run the Fed, by the way, but a disaster for the nation, make no mistake).

Ike was no kook, but a legendary 5-Star General, and a 2-term President. Did he know what he was talking about? Absolutely.
His warning and advice has never been more relevant.
I leave you to think about it for awhile.

This and other problems that plague a great nation could be avoided, by the grace of God, but the common folk have a lot of waking up to do for that to happen.
May God stir folk indeed.
They must awaken, set aside petty differences, and come together as one people with one voice against corruption in high places. It abounds in many forms, particularly in the ones mentioned briefly, and mainstream media beholden to the power elite will never bite the hand that feeds it by telling you the truth. The "divide and conquer" strategy is one not lost on most politicians and social engineers. With this strategy, they pit the folk against one another, blowing things way out of proportion, and distracting attention away from the true source of their problems; and part of that involves concealing the fact that they are controlling the way folk think and consequently how they react also, via mainstream media manipulation of their minds and emotions. Washington's identity-politics power brokers and their handy mainstream media manipulators also wield the socio-political version of the "Hegelian Dialectic" (thesis/antithesis/synthesis in the form of problem/reaction/solution), keeping the common folk, none the wiser, at their behest and toeing the ideologue's line with each assertion (no actual or verifiable or forensic proof of claims forthcoming, if you'll notice in most cases), and even with  false-flag types of crises, tragic events that they actually create themselves and/or manipulate, inevitably provoking a reaction from those adversely affected... and then, with tones of concern and compassion and an air of being alone in control as their government representatives for the good of all, offering their manufactured solutions.
On and on I could go, but you get the picture.

And so, I'd love to see a Christian perspective on these issues that's not hidden away in some corner of the internet somewhere, but which is also able to function without any corporate sponsorship or funding, whatsoever (which would compromise, ruin and take it down eventually).
Christian media should make clear it is not in competition with corporate conglomerates, and doesn't aspire to be. It's function is to tell the truth, pure and simple, pandering to no party, but, rather, honoring God; and being a true guardian, not a manipulator, of the people.
There are some few Christians who contribute significantly in what is generally referred to as "the alternative media", something that with the advent of the internet began slowly but surely to break the mainstream media stranglehold and monopoly on the TV network "news". But the Christians are still a little flock, even in alternative media.
I'm all for it. We need more of these brave souls who do not follow the secular, the corporate, the Wall Street, and Facebook social-media oriented herds, who are not deceived by the phony "right vs. left" paradigm (ever notice how much does not change, regardless of whether Republicans or Democrats are in office?) and will be able to develop alternative media that honors God, is brutally honest, is not beholden to jingoism and phony patriotism and propaganda but to pure, raw truth-telling and biblical Christianity, which of course provides a perspective that informs for the present and directs folk with eternity in view.

I seek incessantly for truth in media, something that the mainstream does not deliver. And I find it in some surprising places at times in "alternative" sources.
But may God raise up a news media standard of His own, bearing His stamp and complete approval, that would become a singular source for all who love God, their fellow man, and the truth... because at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of every day, all actual truth is God's truth.
Beware of phony Calvinists, Pharisees that thumb the nose, willfully blind to their own profound wretchedness.