RTI RTOW: How Do You Understand Grace?

Ask Mr. Religion
Site Founder

April 15th, 2017, 2:52 pm #1

How do you understand grace? In what ways have you been transformed by grace? Witnessed transformation by grace? How are you challenged by grace?

:think:
AMR (a.k.a. Patrick)
Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

Colin
Colin

June 24th, 2018, 10:44 am #2

Great Question Mr. R.
 "I declare that I endeavored to teach His Word undefiled and to expound Holy Scripture faithfully, according to the measure of grace which He has given me.” (excerpt from John Calvin’s last will and testament.

Calvins words brought comfort and solace, knowing that I can only dispense the measure of Grace given to me. I.e., what ever season I was in.. thats where I needed to be.

"So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth" Corinthians 3:7 (ESV)
Colin
1689 LBCF - Amillennial

Reformed Baptist
Leading Member
Reformed Baptist
Leading Member

July 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm #3

How do you understand grace?

Grace is God treating me like the Lord Jesus deserved, because he has treated the Lord Jesus Christ as I deserve to be treated! 

In what ways have you been transformed by grace? 

I see my sin more and more! 

How are you challenged by grace?

To repent, to trust and to worship tomorrow more then I do today! 
"George Whitefield said, "We are all born Arminians." It is grace that turns us into Calvinists." Spurgeon

spearing
spearing

July 23rd, 2018, 7:39 pm #4

I don't understand grace.  I'm not being flip, but very sincere.  Why would an all-powerful God who could simply have destroyed Adam and Eve and start all over again love us as to redeem us from sin?  

One of the verses to Rock of Ages sums up a lot of Grace --

Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die. 

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV)

8  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9  not by works, so that no one can boast. 10  For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. 

One day to see him and say -- Thank you.  What other earthly words are there?  They all seem to fall so short.

One of my theology professors used to say to all of his students in class, "Don't let the limits of your understanding be the limits of your faith."

BruceMcInnes

August 24th, 2018, 12:04 pm #5

Grace is the imparting of the boundless gifts of the Lord to the sinful, destitute undeserving souls whom He calls his children. The gifts of mercy, forgiveness and love are bestowed upon those whom are called by Him to Him and through His Spirit. 

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

I am amazed by the reality of grace and the concept that we are able to approach the Lord though we are totally empty of any quality that pleases Him.