Preferences On NA28 or UBS 5th editions

Topics related to Biblical languages.
Ask Mr. Religion
Site Founder
Joined: July 28th, 2008, 9:13 am

November 20th, 2016, 5:53 pm #21

DrWhofan1:25745 wrote: Even though I know that we have had interesting discussions at times, still look at you as being someone can learn from, as you are very knowledable in Christian and especially reformed areas, so how you prepare and study would interest me, see if can add something to my study time...
While you did not direct this to me I wanted to weigh in on the topic.

Rightly dividing, properly interepreted, means "to handle correctly". Literally, the phrase means literally cutting something in a straight way. Figuratively, teaching or expounding correctly. Unfortunately, Scofield's wooden literalism of the phrase led to the dispensational movement that cuts up or divides the Word into many divisions versus "rightly handling".

What right dividing is not:
1. Assuming all of the Bible is for our learning, but is not addressed to us or is about us.
2. Assuming there are many "gospels" in the Bible, and that we must carve out gospels only meant for us.
3. Assuming Paul's writings are disjointed, and in need of gleaning out of matters relevant to just Gentiles or to Jews.

Rather, per the whole counsel of Scripture rightly dividing is rightly handling, straightly furrowing, and wisely discriminating. Accordingly, the right way to handle Scripture is to treat it like the sword it is, as it is not meant to be played with.

Rightly dividing implies a straight cutting just as the plowman stands with his plow, and he plows right along from this end of the field to the other, making a straight furrow. Thus we have Paul who would have Timothy make a straight furrow right through the Word of Truth taking up its full counsel. The Truth of God is a straight line, and so must our handling of the Truth be straightforward and honest, without shifts or tricks.

For example, one of those furrows that should be plowed straightly is that of free grace. Salvation is of the LordHe begins it, He carries it on, He completes it. Salvation is not of man, neither by man, but of Grace alone. Grace in election, Grace in redemption, Grace in effectual calling, grace in final perseverance, grace in conferring the perfection of Gloryit is all Grace from beginning to end.

Another straight plowing would be the matter of man's moral inabilityto preach that man is fallen, that every part and passion of his nature is perverted, that he has gone astray altogether, is sick from the crown of his head to the sole of his feetyes, is dead in trespasses and sins, and corrupt before God. There is none that does good, no, not one. The discerning will notice some are plowing this furrow very crookedly, for they say, There are still some very fine points about man, and many good things in him which only need developing and educating such that he will decide rightly." Sigh.

Rightly handling the Word of God requires discrimination and dissection, as in the division between the Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace. We must always distinguish between the root (e.g., regeneration) and the fruit (e.g., faith). Putting the cart before the horse is a very absurd thing, but many do it.

There are simple steps to rightly dividing, as in:

First step- Word Focus: etymology, synonyms, antonyms
Second step- Word Relations: grammar, syntax
Third step- Context: immediate context, whole book context, whole Bible context.
Fourth step- Culture: Socialthe customs of the times; Temporalthe period in history; Geographicalthe place on earth.

See an example of this in action here:
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.ph ... ost4655903

Rightly dividing requires exegetical ability, as in the following ten steps:

1. Identify the Genre (the Literary Form)
2. Get the Big Picture: Establish the Historical and Literary Context
3. Develop a Thesis Statement
4. Outline the Progress of Thought in the Passage
5. Consult Secondary Sources (a Good Commentary) on Your Passage.
6. Analyze Syntactical Relationships
7. Analyze Key Terms and Themes
8. Resolve Interpretive Issues and Problems
9. Evaluate Your Results From the Perspective of Wider Contextual and Theological Issues
10. Summarize Your Results

Now you know what rightly dividing really means. ;)
AMR (a.k.a. Patrick)
Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog
Quote
Like
Share

DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

November 21st, 2016, 3:52 pm #22

That will be very useful for me, thank you...
Quote
Like
Share

joebonni
Sustaining Member
joebonni
Sustaining Member
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 4:32 am

January 15th, 2017, 7:57 pm #23

I think if you read Greek all the time then this would be quite exciting. If you don't read Greek that much then maybe the Textus Receptus might be a fun addition this would help with the Geneva Bible and King James Bibles. I have the NAS 27 and the Septuigint and they are very fun to read.
I am very simple and I love the Lord and reading about His Plan and Praying to Him. I love to listen to music all the time and I love to spend lots of time with my wife .........
Quote
Like
Share

DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

January 17th, 2017, 1:26 pm #24

joebonni:25860 wrote:I think if you read Greek all the time then this would be quite exciting. If you don't read Greek that much then maybe the Textus Receptus might be a fun addition this would help with the Geneva Bible and King James Bibles. I have the NAS 27 and the Septuigint and they are very fun to read.
What English translation are you tieing into theGreek texts with?

Current, am using the 3rd edition GNT, and also using with it the Dr wallace Greek Grammar book, along with Nasb version.
Quote
Like
Share

joebonni
Sustaining Member
joebonni
Sustaining Member
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 4:32 am

January 18th, 2017, 12:37 am #25

DrWhofan1:25863 wrote:
joebonni:25860 wrote:I think if you read Greek all the time then this would be quite exciting. If you don't read Greek that much then maybe the Textus Receptus might be a fun addition this would help with the Geneva Bible and King James Bibles. I have the NAS 27 and the Septuigint and they are very fun to read.
What English translation are you tieing into theGreek texts with?

Current, am using the 3rd edition GNT, and also using with it the Dr wallace Greek Grammar book, along with Nasb version.

I like to use the King James Versions because of all the different meanings like in Greek but lately I have been using the ESV with the NA27 it's more exact.  For the Textus Receptus I would rather us King James Version easier to follow along.
I am very simple and I love the Lord and reading about His Plan and Praying to Him. I love to listen to music all the time and I love to spend lots of time with my wife .........
Quote
Like
Share

DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

January 18th, 2017, 2:20 pm #26

joebonni:25864 wrote:
DrWhofan1:25863 wrote:
joebonni:25860 wrote:I think if you read Greek all the time then this would be quite exciting. If you don't read Greek that much then maybe the Textus Receptus might be a fun addition this would help with the Geneva Bible and King James Bibles. I have the NAS 27 and the Septuigint and they are very fun to read.
What English translation are you tieing into theGreek texts with?

Current, am using the 3rd edition GNT, and also using with it the Dr wallace Greek Grammar book, along with Nasb version.

I like to use the King James Versions because of all the different meanings like in Greek but lately I have been using the ESV with the NA27 it's more exact. For the Textus Receptus I would rather us King James Version easier to follow along.
I like to use the reverse interlinear based on the Niv, and also have the Greek NT 3 edition on software, which also had theNiv text.

Prefer though the more formal versions such as Nasb/Esv to study with!
Quote
Like
Share

joebonni
Sustaining Member
joebonni
Sustaining Member
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 4:32 am

January 25th, 2017, 12:20 am #27

DrWhofan1:25868 wrote:
joebonni:25864 wrote:
DrWhofan1:25863 wrote: What English translation are you tieing into theGreek texts with?

Current, am using the 3rd edition GNT, and also using with it the Dr wallace Greek Grammar book, along with Nasb version.

I like to use the King James Versions because of all the different meanings like in Greek but lately I have been using the ESV with the NA27 it's more exact. For the Textus Receptus I would rather us King James Version easier to follow along.
I like to use the reverse interlinear based on the Niv, and also have the Greek NT 3 edition on software, which also had theNiv text.

Prefer though the more formal versions such as Nasb/Esv to study with!




The reverse interlinear is awesome ESV use to make one that was out of control you can pick one up on ebay but they cost a little ..........
I am very simple and I love the Lord and reading about His Plan and Praying to Him. I love to listen to music all the time and I love to spend lots of time with my wife .........
Quote
Like
Share

DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
DrWhofan1
Inactive Account
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

January 25th, 2017, 2:45 pm #28

joebonni:25869 wrote:
DrWhofan1:25868 wrote:
joebonni:25864 wrote:
I like to use the King James Versions because of all the different meanings like in Greek but lately I have been using the ESV with the NA27 it's more exact. For the Textus Receptus I would rather us King James Version easier to follow along.
I like to use the reverse interlinear based on the Niv, and also have the Greek NT 3 edition on software, which also had theNiv text.

Prefer though the more formal versions such as Nasb/Esv to study with!




The reverse interlinear is awesome ESV use to make one that was out of control you can pick one up on ebay but they cost a little ..........
I believe Biblegatway still has the Mounce one!

[mod]
Mod: Edited to include personal pronoun, "I", and correct spelling of "has".
[/mod]
Quote
Like
Share