Reunion

Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mayotte, Réunion, Seychelles

Reunion

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

January 27th, 2007, 3:00 pm #1

Why does Reunion not play in the African nations cup while their woman team plays this competition and even qualified for the finals by eliminating Egypt ?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

February 4th, 2007, 3:44 pm #2

I think that associate members of CAF are allowed to play in all competitions except the men's national A team competitions - i.e. the African Nations Cup. Zanzibar were in the same situation as Réunion - although I am not sure if Zanzibar is still an associate member of CAF.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

June 15th, 2007, 9:44 am #3

Futbolplanet: 12.6.07 in St Paul: Reunion-Gabon 0-3
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

June 15th, 2007, 3:11 pm #4

Just read the report of the game, it also says that the teams met back in 1987 in a friendly match, but this doesn't seem to be in my archive - I've e-mailed the newspaper to try and find out about this other game.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 2nd, 2006, 5:03 pm

July 23rd, 2007, 8:45 am #5

Reunion playing against Tunisian teams in Tunisia as a warm up for Island Ocean Games.
http://www.clicanoo.com/article.php3?id_article=161070
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

July 23rd, 2007, 7:28 pm #6

They are actually playing in Tunisia, but the next three matches will be against French teams - Vitréenne, Brest and Nantes.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 2nd, 2006, 5:03 pm

July 28th, 2007, 6:11 pm #7

25 July
Reunion - Vitrèenne (fr) 0-0 in Tunisia
http://www.clicanoo.com/article.php3?id_article=161289
They will play aaginst the reserve team of Nantes this Saturday
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 3rd, 2007, 10:49 am

July 30th, 2007, 9:41 am #8

I wonder is Reunion in the same position as other former french colonies with players from there playing for France instead of Reunion I know didear Agathe was from Reunion and played for Glasgow Celtic and Aston Villa but never played for France is he part of the Reunion squad.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

February 23rd, 2009, 5:50 am #9

21.7.1982 Mutare: Manicaland-Reunion 0-1
Manicaland is a province of Zimbabwe.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 12th, 2008, 9:18 am

February 24th, 2009, 5:58 am #10

Nathan wrote:I wonder is Reunion in the same position as other former french colonies with players from there playing for France instead of Reunion I know didear Agathe was from Reunion and played for Glasgow Celtic and Aston Villa but never played for France is he part of the Reunion squad.
I look for that on FFF website. He does not seem to have played with U-23 team. Didier Agathe left Aston Villa in 2007 and came back to Réunion.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Agathe (French version)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Agathe (English version, more complete)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

September 10th, 2010, 2:28 pm #11

15.08 Réunion v Madagascar Selection (selection of Madagascans playing in Réunion League)
18.08 Réunion v Madagascar Selection
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

September 11th, 2010, 9:52 pm #12

http://www.lequotidien.re/actualites/c- ... -buts.html
Stade de l'Est (Stade Jean-Ivoula), Saint-Denis, Réunion
06.06.10 Réunion 2-4 Kréopolitains (Players of Réunion origin playing professionally in France)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

September 21st, 2010, 1:16 pm #13

mcruic wrote:15.08 Réunion v Madagascar Selection (selection of Madagascans playing in Réunion League)
18.08 Réunion v Madagascar Selection
15.09 Stade Théophile Hoarau, Saint-Louis
Réunion 1-1 Madagascar Selection ('Entente Malgache')
18.09 Stade ?
Réunion 3-1 Madagascar Selection ('Entente Malgache')
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 7th, 2007, 12:28 pm

September 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am #14

Ah, so they were in September not August. That explains why I couldn't find any reports of the matches in August, when I had a quick look last week
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

September 22nd, 2010, 2:54 pm #15

nfm24 wrote:Ah, so they were in September not August. That explains why I couldn't find any reports of the matches in August, when I had a quick look last week
Yes, lack of sleep meant my translation of months to figures went a bit wrong. Sorry about sending you on a wild goose chase!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 7th, 2007, 12:28 pm

September 23rd, 2010, 5:39 am #16

mcruic wrote:Yes, lack of sleep meant my translation of months to figures went a bit wrong. Sorry about sending you on a wild goose chase!
No worries, I often end up finding something else useful unexpectedly (not on this occasion though).
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

March 17th, 2011, 9:46 am #17

04.05.2011 New Caledonia v Réunion
07.05.2011 New Caledonia v Réunion
Venues (in New Caledonia) to be decided.
http://liguefoot-reunion.fff.fr/
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

May 4th, 2011, 8:05 am #18

first match: N.Caledonie-Reunion 2-4
Quote
Like
Share

SiC
Joined: May 13th, 2008, 10:34 am

May 5th, 2011, 9:13 am #19

Anyone has the New Caledonia goalscorers? I have that one goal was scored in the 38 minute (I think the second).
The Reunión goal where Mickaël Vallant (3, 28 y 37), Mamoudou Diallo (89)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

May 5th, 2011, 10:15 am #20

SiC wrote:Anyone has the New Caledonia goalscorers? I have that one goal was scored in the 38 minute (I think the second).
The Reunión goal where Mickaël Vallant (3, 28 y 37), Mamoudou Diallo (89)
NOUVELLE-CALEDONIE - 2 / LA REUNION - 4
Stade Numa Daly - 2500 spectateurs
Buts pour la Calédonie : César Lolohea (35'), Iamel Kabeu (40')
Buts pour La Réunion : Mickaël Vallant (4', 29', 37'), Mamoudou Diallo (90')
Nouvelle- Calédonie : Hné - Ixoée, E.Béaruné, Sinédo (cap.), Qaézé (Longue, 46') - Read (Bako, 69'), Wajoka (Boawé, 85'), Lolohea, Gorendiawé (Hmaé, 77') - Gope Fenepej, Kabeu.
Sélectionneur : Chritophe COURSIMAULT

La Réunion : Marbois - J.Elcaman (Bador, 57' puis Hubert, 90'), N'Gonguée, Boulard (Cady, 85'), Lionel - Hoarau (K'Bidi, 57'), Vallant (Devallet, 89'), R. Elcaman - Farro (cap.), Diallo, Visnelda (Basquaise, 57').
Sélectionneur : Jean-Pierre BADE
http://www.fedcalfoot.com/News/ViewArti ... fault.aspx
Quote
Like
Share

SiC
Joined: May 13th, 2008, 10:34 am

May 5th, 2011, 10:49 am #21

Thank you
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

February 25th, 2013, 11:08 am #22

at the end of the nineties Reunion tried to become full member of FIFA but since then I did not hear about it....Did they give up....?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 24th, 2013, 3:43 pm

March 3rd, 2013, 7:52 am #23

Presumably, as an overseas territory I guess they weren't allowed. One of their best players Jean-Michel Fontaine has joined English 4th-tier team Fleetwood Town from JS Saint-Pierroise.



Does anybody know if Réunion or indeed Mayotte have any friendlies planned for the summer?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

March 3rd, 2013, 8:54 am #24

at that time, Turk and Caicos were accepted as FIFA member, so what is the difference ? Did they made any attempts recently?
Quote
Like
Share

SDb
Joined: January 24th, 2013, 5:10 am

March 3rd, 2013, 2:06 pm #25

Reunion is part of France. They aren't an overseas territory. TCI are self-governing overseas territory. In theory they could apply but considering FIFA already rejected Zanzibar and Kosovo, they wouldn't be accepted unless there was consensus among the existing members.
www.soccer-db.info - football internationals
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 24th, 2013, 3:43 pm

March 3rd, 2013, 2:59 pm #26

It's inter-FIFA politics too. Think the most recent World Soccer has a piece on TCI by Steve Menary which explains how their FA was only set up by Jack Warner to get another vote.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 7th, 2007, 12:28 pm

March 4th, 2013, 10:16 am #27

Then he should have set up a separate FA for Turks, and for Caicos to get 2 votes.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

July 8th, 2017, 11:07 am #28

I read about a planned trip of Reunion to South America in 2014 (or 2015)..... A match against French Guyane was a possibility.....does anyone know if this tour took place finally? And what were the results?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

February 5th, 2018, 3:12 am #29

Reunion is trying to join COSAFA in order to play the COSAFA-cup...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

February 5th, 2018, 7:57 am #30

pieter wrote: I read about a planned trip of Reunion to South America in 2014 (or 2015)..... A match against French Guyane was a possibility.....does anyone know if this tour took place finally? And what were the results?
It was supposed to be in June 2014 - I think it may have been cancelled.  It was supposed to fill the gap left by the non-holding of the Coupe de l'Outre Mer, I believe.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

February 5th, 2018, 7:57 am #31

pieter wrote: Reunion is trying to join COSAFA in order to play the COSAFA-cup...
Good news.  No reason why they shouldn't be allowed to join.  It would make sense for Mayotte also to affiliate.

By the way, Réunion is already an associate member of COSAFA.
http://www.cosafa.com/about-us/
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

February 18th, 2018, 3:04 am #32

TheRoonBa wrote:
pieter wrote: Reunion is trying to join COSAFA in order to play the COSAFA-cup...
Good news.  No reason why they shouldn't be allowed to join.  It would make sense for Mayotte also to affiliate.

By the way, Réunion is already an associate member of COSAFA.
http://www.cosafa.com/about-us/
they are accepted as COSAFA member
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 13th, 2017, 8:43 am

February 19th, 2018, 2:15 pm #33

pieter wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
pieter wrote: Reunion is trying to join COSAFA in order to play the COSAFA-cup...
Good news.  No reason why they shouldn't be allowed to join.  It would make sense for Mayotte also to affiliate.

By the way, Réunion is already an associate member of COSAFA.
http://www.cosafa.com/about-us/
they are accepted as COSAFA member
Do you have a source?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

February 20th, 2018, 1:23 pm #34

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

February 20th, 2018, 1:24 pm #35

All this means is that Réunion will be able to take part in COSAFA tournaments - they still won't be able to play in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.  But at least it expands the list of opponents for competitive matches beyond neighbouring Indian Ocean islands.

They should be pretty competitive, and COSAFA has a beach soccer tournament for national teams as well - Réunion has a fairly strong beach soccer team too.

Their women's national team took part in qualifying for the 2000 African Nations Championship and after beating Egypt, qualified for the finals where they lost all 3 games.  They haven't entered since - I don't know if this was just a one-off, but I think, if I am not mistaken, that associate members of CAF are free to enter women's national teams in continental tournaments (so theoretically, Zanzibar should have been able to as well).  So, I'm not sure why this was a one-off, as Réunion has a fairly strong women's national team.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 4th, 2011, 6:46 am

February 20th, 2018, 3:07 pm #36

TheRoonBa wrote:Their women's national team took part in qualifying for the 2000 African Nations Championship and after beating Egypt, qualified for the finals where they lost all 3 games.  They haven't entered since - I don't know if this was just a one-off, but I think, if I am not mistaken, that associate members of CAF are free to enter women's national teams in continental tournaments (so theoretically, Zanzibar should have been able to as well).  So, I'm not sure why this was a one-off, as Réunion has a fairly strong women's national team.
Between this and the Team GB semi-arrangement, what's with the positive/negative discrimination* in only allowing women's teams to take part in certain events but excluding the men's from doing the exact same on their side?



* = Or we could just be generous and call it an administrative faff.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 7th, 2007, 12:28 pm

February 20th, 2018, 4:39 pm #37

Do we know if Réunion wanted to enter but were blocked?  Or they just didn't enter?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

April 13th, 2018, 11:17 am #38

Reunion will not play this years COSAFA cup.....
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 31st, 2006, 5:16 pm

April 15th, 2018, 8:06 pm #39

pieter wrote: Reunion will not play this years COSAFA cup.....
But their women's national team will compete in the COSAFA Women's Cup in September:

https://www.clicanoo.re/Sport/Article/2 ... mes_525032
Quote
Like
Share