Macedonia

Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia

Macedonia

January 2nd, 2010, 4:28 am #1

in this topic you will write news related to Macedonian football team.
03/03/2010 in Macedonia will play a friendly match against Montenegro. host city has not yet been determined but will be in Prilep ор Strumica. match against Montenegro will be the 145 th official match for the Macedonian national football team.
Here are some unofficial friendly matches of the Macedonian national football team against clubs and other selections:
- 26.07.2000 FC Spartak Varna (Bulgaria) - Macedonia 1-0 (tournament in Varna, played in Varna, Bulgaria)
- 08/08/2001 Macedonia "A" - Macedonia "B" 4-1 (played in Stip, Macedonia)
- 23/05/2003 Macedonia (players that play outside of Macedonia) - Macedonia (players that play in the Macedonian Championship) 4-2 (played in Kicevo, Macedonia)
- 04/12/2002 Macedonia - FK Sloga Jugomagnat (Skopje, Macedonia) 2-1 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 08/12/2002 Macedonia - FK Rabotnicki (Skopje, Macedonia) 1-1 (played in Veles, Macedonia)
- 12/12/2002 Macedonia - FC Cementarnica (Skopje, Macedonia) 1-1 (played in Dojran, Macedonia)
- 15/12/2002 Macedonia - FC Napredok (Kicevo, Macedonia) 2-1 (played in Ohrid, Macedonia)
- 12.02.2003 FK Hajduk (Split, Croatia) - Macedonia 1-1 (Marjan Trophy, played in Split, Croatia)
- 26/03/2005 Macedonia - Macedonia U-21 2-0 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 11/05/2005 Macedonia - FK Rabotnicki (Skopje, Macedonia) 2-2 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 13/08/2005 Macedonia - FK Skopje (Skopje, Macedonia) 6-1 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 01/09/2005 Macedonia - FK Rabotnicki (Skopje, Macedonia) 1-1 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 21/09/2005 Macedonia - Macedonia U-21 0-1 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
- 08/10/2005 Macedonia - FK Vardar (Skopje, Macedonia) 0-0 (played in Skopje, Macedonia)
unofficial friendly match with a Asturia and Basque, as well tournament in Tehran (Iran), which by the Macedonian Football Federation is recognized as a performance of "A" selection, but the performances "B" team, because at the same time "A" team play friendly match against Liechtenstein in Vaduz.

January 5th, 2010, 3:07 pm #2

You have mentioned 45 times the word "Macedonia/Macedonian".
It is obvious that you suffer from identification crisis.
Next time don't forget to write all 145 international matches played by the national team of your country(FYROM for U.N,UEFA & FIFA).
Greetings from MACEDONIA region of GREECE.

January 5th, 2010, 3:35 pm #3

Georgios, even though this is not a political forum I fully agree with you!! I have historical atlasses and up and including the 1947 version of the Boslatlas (this is the atlas that educates Dutch children from 1877 onwards) people in present FYROM were still named Bulgarians. Also watch the names of most FYROM NT players which are Bulgarian names.
The only reason why FYROM names itself is Macedonia is because they always have been eager to annex Macedonia which will be a mission impossible.
Let's close the FYROM/Macedonia discussion and continue to discuss about football.

January 5th, 2010, 6:44 pm #4

It's FYR Macedonia in FIFA world.
Don't forget to use the full FIFA country names in other discussions.

*irony*

January 5th, 2010, 9:37 pm #5

This FYROM and FYR Macedonia is all bullshit. Let's just call it Macedonia. We all know we are talking about the Republic of Macedonia and not the Macedonia region of Greece. If and when Macedonia decides to claim the Macedonia region of Greece, then it will be an issue. Until then, there is nothing wrong with Macedonia as the name for the country. There are 2 Congos, Ireland is the name of a country and also the name of an island which includes Northern Ireland, Luxembourg borders Luxembourg province in Belgium. It is possible to have 2 identical names for different places. The country has chosen to call itself Macedonia. Every country has the right to call itself what it wants. For all you people who can't understand this, I'm sorry.
And Giorgios, why shouldn't he mention Macedonia 45 times? He is talking about the Macedonia national team. If he was listing Greece matches, he would have mentioned Greece 45 times. Identity crisis? No. Common sense. Now please don't post anything else about Macedonia's name, or your posts will be removed.

January 7th, 2010, 5:57 am #6

Georgios wrote:You have mentioned 45 times the word "Macedonia/Macedonian".
It is obvious that you suffer from identification crisis.
Next time don't forget to write all 145 international matches played by the national team of your country(FYROM for U.N,UEFA & FIFA).
Greetings from MACEDONIA region of GREECE.
I have no problem with my nationality, I know that I am Macedonian. You're the one who has problem with national identity, decide whether you are Macedonian or Grecian (Hell-Ass). my nationality or the name of my country will not change anyone, not even Hell-Ass, it was and will remain MACEDONIA.
p.s. if next time to write all 145 matches will ask your "Hell-Ass" mother.

January 7th, 2010, 4:41 pm #7

vojvodata wrote:UNITED MACEDOIA = Skopje + Solun + Blagoevgrad
Please take notice Solun means Thessaloniki which is in Greece and Blagoevgrad is a city in Bulgaria. I think Vojvodata has to explain what he wants to say with his "United Macedoia (I think he means Macedonia)". That according to him Thessaloniki and Blagoevgrad should be part of the country/state he lives? If this is true, Vojvodata is writing something that is in accordance to the maps his gouvernment released just after its independence in 1991. I can imagine people in Greece regard this as very provocative and agressive. Imho it is not the objective of this forum people are making propaganda their country should annex parts of other countries.
Vojvodata, please can you tell me how would you feel if Greek, Bulgarian, Serbian or Albanian gouvernment will release maps including parts of your country? And finally I think Georgios does not have an identity crisis at all. Macedonia is (also) a part of Greece (Hellas) and if he lives in that part of his country he is both Macedonian and Greek. Just like i.e. a German from Bavaria is both German and Bavarian. I don't hope the language you used against Georgios is common in your country, because I noticed a lack of dignity.

January 7th, 2010, 6:43 pm #8

Yes, I think this is a bit too much. If Macedonia wants to call itself Macedonia, then an attitude like this, talking about "United Macedonia" (including parts of other countries) will not help. If you look at historical facts, there is no such thing as United Macedonia. Macedonia never really had any national identity until this century. Previously, they were though of as being Bulgarian. The Macedonia province of Greece has no desire to be part of Macedonia. The people there are Greek, not Macedonian. And Hellas or Ellas for Greece, thank you. Not Hell Ass. That is deliberate provocation.
The way I see it is as follows:
1) - Greece only has a problem with Macedonia's name because of this "United Macedonia" propaganda. As far as I know, while Macedonia was part of Yugoslavia, Greece did not have a problem with the name.
2) - Macedonia has a problem because they feel that they cannot have their own country's name accepted. However, if certain people were happy with Macedonia's current borders, and stopped trying to artificially expand Macedonia, then they might have their name accepted.
3) - Provocative statements on BOTH sides do not help. Macedonians claiming parts of Greece and Bulgaria is not acceptable. Also, Greeks taunting Macedonians about the name of their country is not really acceptable. In this way, the problem will never be resolved.
I made my original response to Giorgios in the belief that vojvodata was a moderate Macedonian, who was simply happy with the fact that his country had independence. However, I hadn't seen the Thessaloniki/Blagoevgrad part of his posts. I would urge vojvodata to look at real historical facts (not Macedonian state propaganda), and then to remove this text from his posts.
I still believe Macedonia has the right to call itself Macedonia - but NOT if it continues to claim parts of Greece.

January 7th, 2010, 8:33 pm #9

in 1913 the peace congress in Bucharest, Macedonia was divided in three parts between Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece. means Bulgaria and Greece are still occupiers of Macedonian land
I am Macedonian, not slavomacedonian not northern Macedonian, not fyromian I am a Macedonian and not force the world to change that, I am proud that I am Macedonian, and enemies can be cracked.
text of my signature will not remove because it is my personal right to write what I want in my signature. if anyone bothered, do not have to read.
I opened the topic to write information about the Macedonian national football team, and you in times of great European democracy spores on the right of a country to call itself as it wants. It's just like your own name should change because someone else in the world has the same name as you. this is not a European democracy.
Now the more you write about Macedonia because you bothered our biblical name, Macedonia, and United Macedonia one day will happen, and then the Greeks experience genocide as Macedonians in 1948.
I am ultra-radical and it will stay, but you can talk about propaganda all day, but one day we will all find out who is Macedonia, the day when she will be reunited

January 7th, 2010, 8:46 pm #10

So whats the problem here? Cant you see that the Greeks start with their politics first? We will name our country whatever WE like. We dont decide for Germany to be named Bavaria or Prussia cas they alone decided cas it will be named GERMANY. What is your guys problem? If we start talking about politics i have to mention that Greece wasnt even named Greece before 1913. It was Named YUNANISTAN ( Country on the Ionian sea ) Not to mention the people living inside of Greece like Albanians wich were and Are 90 % of Athens Population. Stop talking about politics and start discussing football please.

January 8th, 2010, 6:35 am #11

Greece regained independence as Greece in 1829 after 4 centuries of Turkish (Ottoman) occupation. Later other parts became deliberated. Yunanistan is the Turkish word for Greece. Macedonia was occupied by Ottoman Empire until 1913.
Dzalissimo please can you tell us where you've got the info 90% of the Athens population is Albanian? In (Greater) Athens there live about 4 million people, in entire Greece 1 million (0,5 million legal, 0,5 million illegal) Albanians.

January 8th, 2010, 7:02 am #12

Fast Midfielder wrote:Greece regained independence as Greece in 1829 after 4 centuries of Turkish (Ottoman) occupation. Later other parts became deliberated. Yunanistan is the Turkish word for Greece. Macedonia was occupied by Ottoman Empire until 1913.
Dzalissimo please can you tell us where you've got the info 90% of the Athens population is Albanian? In (Greater) Athens there live about 4 million people, in entire Greece 1 million (0,5 million legal, 0,5 million illegal) Albanians.
means if Macedonia is a former Yugoslav republic, then Greece is a former Turkish province of Athens, or the new Hell-Ass.

January 8th, 2010, 2:20 pm #13

I like political and historical discussions, but in this issue, my opinion is just this: Macedonia is an independent country with an official name FYROM because Greece and So the EU wanted this (horrible name). So lets us call it Macedonia just like everybody does.... I do not think Macedonian people want to conquer a part of Greece... Anyway I hope they do not want this. I hope they will be in the same group for EC 2012...

January 8th, 2010, 10:52 pm #14

pieter wrote:I like political and historical discussions, but in this issue, my opinion is just this: Macedonia is an independent country with an official name FYROM because Greece and So the EU wanted this (horrible name). So lets us call it Macedonia just like everybody does.... I do not think Macedonian people want to conquer a part of Greece... Anyway I hope they do not want this. I hope they will be in the same group for EC 2012...
I much prefer to be in the same group for the EP2012. youth teams to 21, in the same group in qualifying and in September Hell - Ass guest in Macedonia and then have a nice celebration of Macedonian nationalists.

January 9th, 2010, 2:05 pm #15

vojvodata wrote:United Macedonia one day will happen, and then the Greeks experience genocide as Macedonians in 1948.
I am ultra-radical and it will stay, but you can talk about propaganda all day, but one day we will all find out who is Macedonia, the day when she will be reunited
This kind of language cannot be tolerated. Please let's discuss about football. Not about genocide or trying to annex other countries' areas.

January 9th, 2010, 2:26 pm #16

A serious nationalist would never provoke other nations' feelings by mocking
country names.Don't you see that you just ridicule yourself with referring to Greece as "Hell-ass"?Would you like somebody to call your country"Monkeydonia"?Certainly not.It's your right to believe what you believe but surely you have no right to insult nations.
You look anxious to play versus Greece in Euro 2012.That would be a good chance for both teams to show in the pitch which one is better.You have some really high talented players and I personally like the fighting spirit of your team,but I have noticed a difficulty in turning chances into goals.
By the way,the only time Greece visited Skopje city was back in 1978 for a match vs Yugoslavia for the Balkans Cup.We lost 4-1.
If I had to rank former Yugoslavia's national teams,I would put 1.Serbia 2.Croatia 3.Slovenia 4.FYR Macedonia 5.Bosnia-Herzegovina 6.Montenegro.

January 10th, 2010, 2:05 am #17

vojvodata wrote:in 1913 the peace congress in Bucharest, Macedonia was divided in three parts between Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece. means Bulgaria and Greece are still occupiers of Macedonian land
Before 1913, Macedonia was not a country. It was a geographical region. We can also see other geographical regions (Thrace, Asia Minor, Scandinavia, Iberia). There is a big difference between a country/nation and a geographical region. The parts of Macedonia (region) that were annexed by Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece were not ethnically Macedonian in 1913, and are not ethnically Macedonian today. The idea of a United Macedonia was to unite peoples of ALL nationalities who lived in the REGION of Macedonia (Greeks, Serbians, Macedonians, Bulgarians and Albanians). It was not to create a Macedonian ethnicity. The people in the south of Macedonia region before 1913 were of Greek ethnicity and identified with Greece, and they still do. How will it ever be possible for Macedonia to be united if the majority of people in Greek Macedonia want to stay part of Greece? There is no way for it to happen unless you use force - trying to force people AGAINST their will.
Again, I will repeat - there was no Macedonian state before 1913 - and there was no such thing as a Macedonian nation at this time. It is an idea that was made popular by certain people. There is evidence that Macedonians previously thought of themselves as Bulgarian. Certainly, the Macedonian language is very close to Bulgarian.
Instead of this blind nationalism - try to think what the people in these places actually want. Do you really want to force millions of Greeks and Bulgarians to become Macedonian? They don't want it. Be happy that you have your own country. If there are Macedonians in Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia who want to be part of Macedonia - LET THEM COME BACK TO MACEDONIA. Surely, this is a better idea than taking over the territory of other countries.
It is also not fair to compare annexing Thessaloniki and Blagoevgrad to the partition of the Macedonia region. These 2 towns are now part of sovereign independent countries. When Macedonia was divided, it was not a sovereign independent country, nor did it have a recognised national consciousness. You try asking Austrians if they want to join a United Germany and see what answer you get. You will get a similar answer from people in Greek and Pirin Macedonia.
And, please, stop with this silly "Hell-Ass". If you continue, your posts will be edited or removed. You can be "ultra-radical" if you like, but don't offend other people.

January 10th, 2010, 5:27 am #18

mcruic wrote:
vojvodata wrote:in 1913 the peace congress in Bucharest, Macedonia was divided in three parts between Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece. means Bulgaria and Greece are still occupiers of Macedonian land
Before 1913, Macedonia was not a country. It was a geographical region. We can also see other geographical regions (Thrace, Asia Minor, Scandinavia, Iberia). There is a big difference between a country/nation and a geographical region. The parts of Macedonia (region) that were annexed by Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece were not ethnically Macedonian in 1913, and are not ethnically Macedonian today. The idea of a United Macedonia was to unite peoples of ALL nationalities who lived in the REGION of Macedonia (Greeks, Serbians, Macedonians, Bulgarians and Albanians). It was not to create a Macedonian ethnicity. The people in the south of Macedonia region before 1913 were of Greek ethnicity and identified with Greece, and they still do. How will it ever be possible for Macedonia to be united if the majority of people in Greek Macedonia want to stay part of Greece? There is no way for it to happen unless you use force - trying to force people AGAINST their will.
Again, I will repeat - there was no Macedonian state before 1913 - and there was no such thing as a Macedonian nation at this time. It is an idea that was made popular by certain people. There is evidence that Macedonians previously thought of themselves as Bulgarian. Certainly, the Macedonian language is very close to Bulgarian.
Instead of this blind nationalism - try to think what the people in these places actually want. Do you really want to force millions of Greeks and Bulgarians to become Macedonian? They don't want it. Be happy that you have your own country. If there are Macedonians in Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia who want to be part of Macedonia - LET THEM COME BACK TO MACEDONIA. Surely, this is a better idea than taking over the territory of other countries.
It is also not fair to compare annexing Thessaloniki and Blagoevgrad to the partition of the Macedonia region. These 2 towns are now part of sovereign independent countries. When Macedonia was divided, it was not a sovereign independent country, nor did it have a recognised national consciousness. You try asking Austrians if they want to join a United Germany and see what answer you get. You will get a similar answer from people in Greek and Pirin Macedonia.
And, please, stop with this silly "Hell-Ass". If you continue, your posts will be edited or removed. You can be "ultra-radical" if you like, but don't offend other people.
look at the forum are all historians, may need to change the forum. because all you now write against me live in a democratic Europe, tell me whether in the 21st century is the democratic right to contest the determination of a state as it is called, and let people be what they want. until it is, for me, Greece will be Hell-Ass, and gypsies would come in September in Macedonia, will have a nice celebration.
I have a problem with English and can not develop a good discussion with you because my text is written by google translate, so some things are not translated correctly.
One thing I know is that I am proud Macedonian, I am proud of my country Macedonia, which will soon be over, and then I will personally wanted him georgieos to his bent neck.

January 10th, 2010, 11:45 am #19

vojvodata wrote:I have a problem with English and can not develop a good discussion with you because my text is written by google translate, so some things are not translated correctly.
One thing I know is that I am proud Macedonian, I am proud of my country Macedonia, which will soon be over, and then I will personally wanted him georgieos to his bent neck.
You may have a problem with English. However, even if your English would have been perfect I doubt if you would be able to develop a good discussion. So far I only noticed you produced oneliners only without any motivation. Your English may not be sufficient, but even then your intentions are as clear as cristal. Threatening somebody "to his bent neck" I see as not being able to reply somebody's arguments on a proper way, no matter if you have problems with English or not. It is also a lack of respect to your counterpart. This kind of language does not belong on any forum. Just like promoting to annex other country's areas and commiting genocide to an ethnic group.

January 10th, 2010, 12:28 pm #20

Just two words to the "brave"man who wants to kill me:MOLON LAVE
Don't worry,it's not bad language,it's ancient Greek meaning:COME AND GET IT.

January 10th, 2010, 1:14 pm #21

The people in Thessaloniki are Greek. They do not want to be part of a Greater Macedonia. You will never force them to change.
Οι άνθρωποι στη Θεσσαλονίκη είναι ελληνικά. Δεν θέλουν να είναι μέρος μιας ευρύτερης Μακεδονίας. Ποτέ δεν θα τους αναγκάσει να αλλάξει.
На луѓе во Солун се грчки. Тие не сакаат да бидат дел од Голема Македонија. Ти никогаш нема сила да ги промени.
I have no idea if Google Translate worked. But I hope the message is clear, especially to our Macedonian friend.

January 10th, 2010, 1:21 pm #22

vojvodata wrote:
text of my signature will not remove because it is my personal right to write what I want in my signature. if anyone bothered, do not have to read.
The text of your signature has been removed because it is offensive to Greeks and Bulgarians, and it is political in nature. It will be removed in every message you write in future. This is a football forum - not a place for political messages.

January 10th, 2010, 2:56 pm #23

After the wrestling, can we get back to football?
Israel national team played a World Cup qualifier in Belgrade on 21/8/1949 (and lost 0-6...). Besides this official game Israel played 2 friendlies:
25/8/1949 in Skopje: Macedonia XI - Israel 3-2
26/8/1949 in Sarajevo: Sarajevo XI - Israel 5-1
Can someone tell if Macedonia XI and Sarajevo XI were selections of Macedonians/Bosnians or just a custom name for Yugoslavia?
Does someone have more details about those teams? Unfortunately I couldn't find the Yugoslav line-ups for those games.

June 15th, 2018, 5:23 pm #24

Name change alert... we could be making a new thread for "Northern Macedonia" some time this autumn (pending a referendum approval). With the UEFA Nations League being in mid-swing by then, could also be a new entry to this thread.

June 16th, 2018, 12:41 pm #25

More than 140 countries already call it simply Macedonia - so it may take a while before the new name catches on.

June 18th, 2018, 5:06 am #26

Official and unofficial names have always been a slippery matter. Although "Soviet Union" was the official name of the country, I have some history books from the 1980s calling it "Russia"...