July 1st, 2018, 5:08 am #201

For the seveth time Uruguay are into the "Top-8". Great achievement for a country of just 3,500,000 inhabitants.
Also, considering that every time Uruguay has hosted a major tournament, "La Celeste" has always won (the 1930 World Cup, 7 Copas América and the 1980 Mundialito), I'm sure that if now Uruguay hypothetically organized a World Cup, "La Celeste" would lift the Cup again.

July 1st, 2018, 9:18 am #202

Luca wrote:Also, considering that every time Uruguay has hosted a major tournament, "La Celeste" has always won (the 1930 World Cup, 7 Copas América and the 1980 Mundialito)
That's incredible even ignoring their small population.

Their hand gets forced a bit thanks to the increasingly strict 'requirements' of tournament hosting, but at what point do they become so aware of that record that they just try to not host something to preserve it? Also does the U-17 Women's World Cup this year count as major enough?

And another record I didn't realise until looking up their Wikipedia page - 20 international titles won - the most of any country in the world. Helped of course by the high-frequency early Copa Americas but still...

July 2nd, 2018, 2:06 pm #203

mattsanger92 wrote: Helped of course by the high-frequency early Copa Americas but still...
Yes, and I add: they have won several Copas América playing just 3 matches (especially in the earliest editions). Over the 1987 edition they even needed 2 games to become champions! But still, they remain a little wonder in international football.

July 3rd, 2018, 3:39 am #204

pieter wrote: the gap between the small confederations (Africa, Asia and CONCACAF) is getting bigger every 4 years....

hope to see other results in the 2nd round ...
Pieter, I bet this time you are not too sorry about the elimination of the last Asian team... 
Jokes aside, I really enjoyed the game: Belgium finally showed their fighting spirit. But Japan were very naive to concede that counterattack in the very last minute of injury time...

July 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm #205

"STOCK UP YOUR BISCUITS, LOCK DOWN THE BUNKERS, ENGLAND... ENGLAND HAVE WON A PENALTY SHOOTOUT. GARETH SOUTHGATE DEMOLISHES HIS DEMONS. NO MISSES IN SIGHT, TONIGHT THE PIZZAS ARE ON HIM!"

: If I was feeding Peter Drury his lines for this evening.

The real thing didn't quite reach that level but ITV still missing a trick by not having him as their main man...

July 4th, 2018, 5:13 am #206

Very tough game! England wouldn't have deserved to be eliminated by penalties for the seventh time.

July 4th, 2018, 6:31 am #207

yes they deserve to be eliminated, but Colombia forgot to play, England refused to play.....

July 4th, 2018, 12:12 pm #208

I don't think England deserved to be eliminated: there would have been another clear penalty in their favour that was ignored by the referee. I didn't like Colombia's attitude: too many protests and a very aggressive behaviour. Globally not a brilliant match though.

July 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm #209

- Germany eliminated in group stage  😲
- England wins a penalty shootout 😲😲

Now I am firmly convinced that Russia will be the World Champion. Everything else wouldn´t be explicable.

July 7th, 2018, 4:40 am #210

sorry to the world, but with Brasil  we eliminated the last non-European team ....we won't do it again, promised:)  go Belgium (the only team with a 100% record, played 5, won 5...)

July 7th, 2018, 5:47 am #211

Great quality and personality from Belgium! It was not easy, because Brazil after conceding the second goal was very dangerous and played well. Their problem is they did not have a great striker as they had in the recent past (Romário, Ronaldo and Rivaldo).

July 7th, 2018, 7:18 am #212

Really hoping for a Belgium - Croatia final. It's high time a new team win it.

July 8th, 2018, 9:03 am #213

Kirill wrote:Really hoping for a Belgium - Croatia final. It's high time a new team win it.
It's a nice thought, and I like the sentiment, but you forgot to factor in that that would get in the way of it coming home...

In the meantime there's only a few days for England fans to find a suitably famous Croatian export to conduct celebrations in:

July 8th, 2018, 10:59 am #214

mattsanger92 wrote:... you forgot to factor in that that would get in the way of it coming home...
Not in the least, since home is where the heart is. Look for footage of celebrations last night in Croatia for example.

July 8th, 2018, 11:56 am #215

Kirill wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:... you forgot to factor in that that would get in the way of it coming home...
Not in the least, since home is where the heart is. Look for footage of celebrations last night in Croatia for example.
Damn you and your meme-destroying logic.

July 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm #216

mattsanger92 wrote: In the meantime there's only a few days for England fans to find a suitably famous Croatian export to conduct celebrations in:

Hahaha...! But what happened to the famous trumpets of the English fans? I seem to have never heard them at this World Cup. I had always heard them at least from the 1996 European Championship, but they seem to have disappeared. If I well remember the name was "The English Band" or something...

July 8th, 2018, 3:00 pm #217

seems group G was the strongest with 2 teams in the semi-finals

July 8th, 2018, 3:03 pm #218

pieter wrote: seems group G was the strongest with 2 teams in the semi-finals
Exactly like it happened in 2002: Brazil faced Turkey in the group stage and then in the semi-finals.
While at the 2004 European Championship, Greece beat Portugal both in the tournament début and in the final!

July 8th, 2018, 5:30 pm #219

Luca wrote:Hahaha...! But what happened to the famous trumpets of the English fans? I seem to have never heard them at this World Cup. I had always heard them at least from the 1996 European Championship, but they seem to have disappeared. If I well remember the name was "The English Band" or something...
Close, it's "The England Band", and it might be down to less fans travelling to Russia this time around, maybe they were amongst the absentees.

But if a lower presence from them relates to success on the pitch, then they can stay well clear of any England matches, no problem. They don't have the best reputation anyway, considered by a lot of people to be one of the things that brought the mood down.

July 9th, 2018, 11:40 am #220

One thing I will say about the England team regardless of what happens this week is that they seem to have taken a leaf out of the Wales 2016 book in how to approach a tournament, which is all I could've asked for really after all those years of general disappointment (mainly off-field).

Modest attitude, enjoying the experience, playing as a team, telling the press to do one, fans not causing too much trouble and getting behind the team, I feel like a reverse yer da at the minute, an adrey if you will.

July 10th, 2018, 4:49 pm #221

sad, we lose against a team that did not want to play (France has so many splendid players)......hope to see a better game tomorrow!

July 10th, 2018, 5:10 pm #222

Congrats anyway: Belgium did a great World Cup. This evening France probably deserved to win, as they created more goal chances than their opponents, and then they defended well the 1-0. Belgium didn't manage to increase their rhythm after the 0-1 and some of their best players weren't too inspired. Anyway a close semifinal between two great teams.

July 15th, 2018, 4:51 am #223

anyway, our best WC ever: 7 played, 6 won , 1 defeat (1-0).....third place....Belgium can be proud and we beat Brasil and England (twice)....
for the final I think all Belgium will support Croatia 

July 15th, 2018, 4:57 am #224

Let's hope in an exciting final, because Spain-Netherlands (2010) and Argentina-Germany (2014) were extremely boring games.

July 15th, 2018, 8:01 am #225

pieter wrote: anyway, our best WC ever: 7 played, 6 won , 1 defeat (1-0).....third place....Belgium can be proud and we beat Brasil and England (twice)....
for the final I think all Belgium will support Croatia 
Well played, dominated the first half and almost got the team goal of the tournament in the second (but of course Eric Dier almost got the best individual goal 😉). England has to settle for our joint 2nd-best World Cup performance, those bronze medals would've capped off a great run and made it the best non-hosted World Cup we've ever had.

That being said I think I could take a flight to Russia in the amount of time it takes Sterling to make a decision in the box... and Harry Kane could be about to be the jammiest Golden Boot winner in tournament history (except maybe Salenko).

July 15th, 2018, 8:25 am #226

Interesting kit facts for today's final - France will play in all-blue which is the first time they've used a colour combination more than once in this tournament

And on the opposite end of the scale, Croatia play in their home shirts for only the 2nd time in 7 matches, but a change of socks means they've gone the length of the tournament without using their first-choice combination (WhiteRed/White/Blue)...

July 15th, 2018, 6:57 pm #227

I would have wished another World Champion, but it was a great World Cup. Suprises, Exotic teams (Iceland, Peru, Panama) and many good games. The Video Assistant Referee is definetly an useful tool. Much people praised the host nation for the good organization. Well done Russia!

Now, we have to wait almost 4 1/2 years for next world cup.🙁

July 16th, 2018, 4:30 am #228

We don't really have to go back through our prediction game, do we? 😂

July 16th, 2018, 11:15 am #229

Kaizeler wrote: We don't really have to go back through our prediction game, do we? 😂
We do now. 👍

And as someone who missed the boat in actually making predictions, I nominate myself to judge.

July 16th, 2018, 2:54 pm #230

pieter wrote: but today we saw a non-match with a predictable 0-0....hope they will be knocked out in the next round
And ironically that turned out to be the only 0-0 to happen in the entire tournament.

July 16th, 2018, 4:00 pm #231

So my judgement is as follows (everything down to Top Scorer is obviously based in fact, beyond that is subjective):
  • Champions: France {nil points}
  • Runners-up: Croatia {nil points}
  • Third Place: Belgium {nil points}
  • Golden Ball: Luca Modric (CRO) {was going to award part-points for any predictions that won the Silver or Bronze Ball (Hazard/Griezmann, respectively), but still nil points}
  • Golden Boot: Harry Kane (ENG), 6 goals {same again (Griezmann/Lukaku), same again, nil points}
  • Surprise team: Russia (special mention England/Japan/Iran) {all your predictions failed to get past the Group Stage, another nil points}
  • Disappointment: I'm letting Germany & Argentina share it {Luca gets 1 point}
  • Best National Anthem performances: Having to retrace my memory hard here, but aside from my biased choice of England (vs CRO), the biggest anthemtingles probably came from Colombia (vs POL) (special mention Russia (vs ESP)) {half-point Luca}
  • Most Potatoes Picked: Egypt (special mentions Australia/Panama) {nil points}

Final standings:
  1. Luca: 1.5 points
  2. Kaizeler: 0 points
  3. FastMidfielder: 0 points
  4. TheRoonBa: 0 points
Luca = 🇦🇷, Rest of you = 🇵🇦, Me and other non-players = 🇺🇸

July 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm #232

mattsanger92 wrote:Luca = 🇦🇷, Rest of you = 🇵🇦, Me and other non-players = 🇺🇸

July 17th, 2018, 1:45 am #233

I refuse to be associated with the American flag

July 17th, 2018, 10:47 am #234

pieter wrote:I refuse to be associated with the American flag
Maybe I should change it for the Dutch one then? 😉

July 17th, 2018, 11:25 am #235

I prefer the Dutch flag, I Always support Holland on international tournaments but they never qualify:)

July 17th, 2018, 3:27 pm #236

I was at the stadium in Rostov-on-Don at all 5 matches that were in this city. I also went to St. Petersburg and was at the stadium in the semifinals and the match for third place. Three times I was at the matches of the Belgians. I saw at the stadium how the Belgians won the match for third place and for the first time entered the top three of the strongest teams at the World Cups.

July 19th, 2018, 5:09 am #237

Has anybody noticed France's great ascent over the last 8 years?

2010 World Cup: out in the group stage
2012 European Championship: out in the round of 8
2014 World Cup: out in the round of 8
2016 European Championship: runners-up
2018 World Cup: champions du monde!

July 19th, 2018, 5:21 am #238

I refuse to use the words "great" and "France" in the same sentence; anyway they did not play "great" 

July 19th, 2018, 6:55 am #239

Pieter, you say this because the World Cup for the 21st time refused to use the words "Belgium" and "champions" in the same sentence...

July 19th, 2018, 9:36 am #240

no because they played very defensive football and they have the quality players to make us happy....their group matches ware a disgrace and they did not deserve to beat Belgium or Croatia (with the help of the ref/VAR)
I am glad we took 3rd place, it is more then I expected

July 19th, 2018, 11:06 am #241

pieter wrote: I am glad we took 3rd place, it is more then I expected
My congratulation !
Before each of the three matches of the Belgians in the stadiums, I listened "Freed from desire".
Also after every goal of the Belgians (three with Japan and two with England) in the stadiums, I listened "Freed from desire".
After the end of the victorious matches of the Belgians (with the Japan and England) at the stadiums, I listened "Freed from desire".
As a result, 10 cases when I listened at the stadiums "Freed from desire" during the 2018 FIFA World Cup matches.

SDb

July 19th, 2018, 12:35 pm #242

No FIFA rankings published this month it seems. In the new ranking system Germany would still be number 1 so FIFA decided to not publish anything. Next update in August and we'll se what they come up with.
www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

July 19th, 2018, 2:24 pm #243

Antikov wrote:
As a result, 10 cases when I listened at the stadiums "Freed from desire" during the 2018 FIFA World Cup matches.
And if you listened "Freed From Desire" it's thanks to an Italian (the original singer). 😎
Italy was present someway at this World Cup... 😞

August 11th, 2018, 11:53 am #244

TheRoonBa wrote:
Kaizeler wrote:Can I complain about people who say "Glasgow Rangers" as well?
If you also complain about Glasgow Celtic, yes.
I still think writing "Bayern Munich" in English is an odd juxtaposition.  It be either "Bavaria Munich," or "Bayern München."

August 11th, 2018, 12:12 pm #245

abramjones wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:Most country names of Latin American countries are adopted from the Spanish name almost exactly - but not from the adjectival form.  We don't say "Boliviana" or "Uruguaya" or "Peruana".
Yeah, but they don't refer to themselves as that either, whereas Domincana is broadcast on their jerseys.
Actually, many of the early matches between Argentina and Uruguay were referred to in the local press as "Argentinos" vs "Uruguayos" - here is an example from a  Uruguayan magazine from August 1908:

August 11th, 2018, 12:13 pm #246

abramjones wrote:This conversation reminds me of how much I hate when people use the terms Dominican Republic, Czech Republic, and Central African Republic... but don't use Argentine Republic, Italian Republic, Hellenic Republic, or French Republic. And every time I'm in a conversation and say "Czechia" people give me this confused look, of course, that happens a lot for other reasons as well.

Dominicana (not Dominican Republic)
Czechia (not Czech Republic)
Central Africa (not Central African Republic)
I'm sure you've told us before, but please remind me why you are so against the word "Republic" appearing in a country name?  Is it something to do with omitting any words referring to the political status of the countries?  In which case, I guess you'll have alternatives for the likes of the United Kingdom, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, the Russian Federation, the Soviet Union, etc.

August 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm #247

bakerrp wrote:I wouldn't travel to the bottom of my garden to watch Villa, never mind about Iceland.
I shut the curtains when the Tour de Yorkshire went past my house.

(in fairness, the snooker was on)

August 11th, 2018, 12:29 pm #248

nfm24 wrote:I shut the curtains when the Tour de Yorkshire went past my house.

(in fairness, the snooker was on)
You must really hate cycling...

August 11th, 2018, 12:33 pm #249

I hate cyclists.  Mainly because the prevalence of Yorkshire in the "Tour de Non Sequitur" means that all the narrow country roads which I frequent are now clogged with fat slow amateur cyclists, who, despite their fatness and amateurism, have invested, regrettably, in lycra shorts.

August 11th, 2018, 5:03 pm #250

Saw a fine specimen in front of my bus the other week, decided to get his phone out while, y'know, in the middle of the road with a bus right behind him. After the bus overtook him he then went past again and held us up for about a minute when there was a perfectly empty pavement right next to him. Luckily that was my stop...