2018 ConIFA World Football Cup

Please post any news or comments about alternative representative football here.

March 7th, 2018, 10:36 am #551

TheRoonBa wrote:Boo!

The organisers of the Micro Games said Kiribati were still considering participation - I was going by their last public update.
Well, I don't have a definite no on the Micro Games, but would consider it impossible for them to make it anytime soon, sadly. Unlike Tuvalu, the government doesn't support them with a penny, mainly because they're not recognized by FIFA and they argue that investing in other sports thus has more of an effect.

Gesendet von meinem MI 6 mit Tapatalk

March 7th, 2018, 2:27 pm #552

Well, as long as someone makes it to fly the "help, our country is sinking" flag... maybe it's a bit of PR but getting good vibes from the official statements.

March 7th, 2018, 4:53 pm #553

In the unlikely event that Tuvalu also withdraws, who is first in line as their replacement?

March 7th, 2018, 6:06 pm #554

If you need to ask t'question, you don't deserve t'response like... ;)

March 7th, 2018, 6:34 pm #555

Ee, all t'Yorkshire questions are rhet'orical lad, coz we know t'price of owt, and T'valu of nowt.

March 7th, 2018, 6:38 pm #556

nfm24 wrote:In the unlikely event that Tuvalu also withdraws, who is first in line as their replacement?
As no other Oceanian team is on the replacement list, that replacement would be drawn from the Global List, where Karpatalya sits in the prime spot - as you can see in the final Qualifier points list

March 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm #557

Thanks.  I could see that Karpatalya has the most points of all non-qualified teams, but I did not see where it was written that the vacant Oceania place would necessarily go to that team regardless of continent.

Kiribati was chosen by wildcard (ahead of Tuvalu) so another possibility was a new wildcard choice to replace a wildcard withdrawal.

March 13th, 2018, 5:57 pm #558

British Virgin Islands are in Dorset in April for a training camp and are looking for a match - possibly one of the CONIFA teams based in the UK could give them a game?

March 13th, 2018, 8:33 pm #559

Is the BVI camp made of British based players, or are islanders travelling?

March 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm #560

nfm24 wrote:Is the BVI camp made of British based players, or are islanders travelling?
Got in touch - nice chat and great coach, but their schedule is filled already.

March 14th, 2018, 6:58 pm #561

Did you ask them to join ConIFA, or just about playing a friendly?

March 14th, 2018, 8:00 pm #562

nfm24 wrote:Did you ask them to join ConIFA, or just about playing a friendly?
We asked if they're looking for a friendly match only. We'll stay in touch and see if it suits next time.

Why should we ask them to join CONIFA?

March 15th, 2018, 2:29 pm #563

CONIFAGenSec wrote:Why should we ask them to join CONIFA?
Fortune favours the brave... 😉

And understandable if this is a topic that you can't go public with, but are the recent problems in 🇬🇧-🇷🇺 relations having any kind of knock-on effect on the participation of your defending champions? Hope and common sense says the answer's no but I don't underestimate petty and/or crazy in recent times...

March 15th, 2018, 3:25 pm #564

Well, it's another tax haven.

Of course, BVI isn't eligible to join ConIFA anyway for what that's worth.

March 15th, 2018, 3:48 pm #565

mattsanger92 wrote:
Fortune favours the brave...

And understandable if this is a topic that you can't go public with, but are the recent problems in - relations having any kind of knock-on effect on the participation of your defending champions? Hope and common sense says the answer's no but I don't underestimate petty and/or crazy in recent times...
Certainly don't hope so! But the players are overwhelmingly on Russian passports and no one can say what will happen until May.

March 15th, 2018, 3:50 pm #566

nfm24 wrote:
Well, it's another tax haven.

"Another tax haven"? Do we look like a collection of such or like attracting them?
Don't get that line.

Anyways, indeed they're not eligible. That's why I asked why we should bother to ask.

March 15th, 2018, 4:47 pm #567

CONIFAGenSec wrote:"Another tax haven"? Do we look like a collection of such or like attracting them?
Don't get that line.

Anyways, indeed they're not eligible. That's why I asked why we should bother to ask.
On the first point, it was just a flippant remark to follow yours, although it is perhaps worth observing that your organization includes two tax haven members, and it was previously registered in the Isle of Man (and your "business side" is still registered in the Isle of Man).  The first reason I asked about BVI joining was not related to that though - I was just thinking that you don't have any Caribbean members so far.

On the second point, the fact that an association is inherently ineligible according to the regulations (and is also declared publically to be ineligible, by a ConIFA representative) needn't necessarily prevent them from joining just a few weeks later, based on a recent example.  So I believe the question was not entirely impertinent.

March 15th, 2018, 4:50 pm #568

mattsanger92 wrote:the recent problems in [United Kingdom]-[Russian Federation] relations
Taking this out of context (of the excellent point you made) for a moment, I don't understand why this has suddenly flared up in such a big way.  The same thing happened in 2006 in similar circumstances.  Perhaps the danger to the public was less, I don't know.

March 15th, 2018, 4:56 pm #569

I'm sick of all the provocations, so just answering in the actual useful content:
No, CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM. Membership fees and all operations have always been done from the Sweden registered non profit

March 15th, 2018, 5:03 pm #570

CONIFAGenSec wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:
Fortune favours the brave...

And understandable if this is a topic that you can't go public with, but are the recent problems in - relations having any kind of knock-on effect on the participation of your defending champions? Hope and common sense says the answer's no but I don't underestimate petty and/or crazy in recent times...
Certainly don't hope so! But the players are overwhelmingly on Russian passports and no one can say what will happen until May.

I'm just more mesmerised at how you transformed my flag icons into 'flag' icons...

March 15th, 2018, 5:14 pm #571

CONIFAGenSec wrote:No, CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM. Membership fees and all operations have always been done from the Sweden registered non profit
From:  http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/upl ... letter.pdf

"The Confederation of Independent Football Associations (CONIFA) is a sport and culture non-profit organization registered on the Isle of Man."

From:  http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/upl ... M-2016.pdf

"Furthermore, Per-Anders Blind and General Secretary Sascha Düerkop reported about several administrative issues CONIFA had with the non-profit NGO on the Isle of Man. Therefore, the Executive Committee proposed the AGM to close the non-profit NGO on the Isle of Man and re-use the still opened Swedish NGO. The business company on the Isle of Man shall stay active."

Background/generals:
CONIFA has established two separate companies on Isle of Man and our operational headquarter:

CONIFA Ltd: Acts as Charity / Non-Profit Organization. The Executive Committee and all CONIFA members are affiliated into ConIFA Ltd.
CONIFA Properties Ltd: Acts as the business part of ConIFA. This is where all the sales of sponsorships, TV/Internet rights, merchandise etc. are going to take place. All tournament rights and trademark are also included in this package. ConIFA Properties Ltd will also offer external investors/stakeholders to buy shares in the company.
Additionally, CONIFA is still registered as a non-profit NGO in Sweden.
The proposal of the Executive Committee is to now close the “CONIFA Ltd.” on the Isle of Man and transfer the Executive Committee and member’s affiliation back to the Swedish non-profit NGO. The main reason is that the CONIFA Ltd. was not able to open a bank account and receive membership fees from CONIFA’s members, which is an important and critical source of income for the operations of CONIFA.

March 15th, 2018, 5:17 pm #572

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:the recent problems in [United Kingdom]-[Russian Federation] relations
Taking this out of context (of the excellent point you made) for a moment, I don't understand why this has suddenly flared up in such a big way.  The same thing happened in 2006 in similar circumstances.  Perhaps the danger to the public was less, I don't know.
Could be anything, but it does feel as though everything's more knee-jerk and reactionary than it was back then (or maybe I was just in blissful ignorance then).

Comes to something when 'let's think things over carefully and have concrete evidence before going kamikaze* on the Ruskies' is the controversial and 'defiant' opinion.

*Level and constructiveness of kamikaze TBD.
Last edited by mattsanger92 on March 15th, 2018, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 15th, 2018, 5:24 pm #573

nfm24 wrote:
CONIFAGenSec wrote:No, CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM. Membership fees and all operations have always been done from the Sweden registered non profit

"The Confederation of Independent Football Associations (CONIFA) is a sport and culture non-profit organization registered on the Isle of Man."

From:  http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/upl ... M-2016.pdf

"Furthermore, Per-Anders Blind and General Secretary Sascha Düerkop reported about several administrative issues CONIFA had with the non-profit NGO on the Isle of Man. Therefore, the Executive Committee proposed the AGM to close the non-profit NGO on the Isle of Man and re-use the still opened Swedish NGO. The business company on the Isle of Man shall stay active."

Background/generals:
CONIFA has established two separate companies on Isle of Man and our operational headquarter:

CONIFA Ltd: Acts as Charity / Non-Profit Organization. The Executive Committee and all CONIFA members are affiliated into ConIFA Ltd.
CONIFA Properties Ltd: Acts as the business part of ConIFA. This is where all the sales of sponsorships, TV/Internet rights, merchandise etc. are going to take place. All tournament rights and trademark are also included in this package. ConIFA Properties Ltd will also offer external investors/stakeholders to buy shares in the company.
Additionally, CONIFA is still registered as a non-profit NGO in Sweden.
The proposal of the Executive Committee is to now close the “CONIFA Ltd.” on the Isle of Man and transfer the Executive Committee and member’s affiliation back to the Swedish non-profit NGO. The main reason is that the CONIFA Ltd. was not able to open a bank account and receive membership fees from CONIFA’s members, which is an important and critical source of income for the operations of CONIFA.
Indeed. Tried to move to the IoM after the AGM before. Didn't work, as no bank account couldn't be opened and the Swedish NPO thus provisionally carried on. Did then close the failed and never used IoM NPO.

Yes, the business part is still on the IoM and is still active. Quite a common model btw, as I've just learned on a conference of Associations. (not to have it on the IoM necessarily, but to have a commercial company and a non profit)

March 15th, 2018, 5:27 pm #574

CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
Would they not be eligible as being 'sportingly isolated' (which could be argued if they broke all ties with FIFA/CONCACAF to submit a CONIFA bid)?

March 15th, 2018, 5:39 pm #575

CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
Indeed. Tried to move to the IoM after the AGM before. Didn't work, as no bank account couldn't be opened and the Swedish NPO thus provisionally carried on. Did then close the failed and never used IoM NPO.
There is no need to just repeat what I pasted.  A worthwhile thing to do might be to correct (or at least address) your previous statement "CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM" which is false according to a letter signed by your president, and also perhaps to explain why you temporarily forgot this.

March 15th, 2018, 5:44 pm #576

mattsanger92 wrote:
CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote: Of course, BVI isn't eligible to join ConIFA anyway for what that's worth.
Would they not be eligible as being 'sportingly isolated' (which could be argued if they broke all ties with FIFA/CONCACAF to submit a CONIFA bid)?
BVI is ineligible because it is a member of FIFA.

Supposing it was not a member of FIFA, it would be eligible for ConIFA if it remained a member of CONCACAF (criterion 1).  If not, it would still be eligible as a member of the IOC (criterion 2).

"Sportingly isolated" doesn't really come in to the eligibility as such - it would come in to the discussion at a meeting before the vote.

March 15th, 2018, 5:50 pm #577

mattsanger92 wrote:
nfm24 wrote:Taking this out of context (of the excellent point you made) for a moment, I don't understand why this has suddenly flared up in such a big way.  The same thing happened in 2006 in similar circumstances.  Perhaps the danger to the public was less, I don't know.
Could be anything, but it does feel as though everything's more knee-jerk and reactionary than it was back then (or maybe I was just in blissful ignorance then).
Maybe that's true more generally.  Perhaps it's also due to the different ways that the deaths occurred - the previous one was a slower process.

March 15th, 2018, 5:51 pm #578

By the way, why is the ConIFA constitution *still* not written in proper English?  It was one of the first things raised about ConIFA (then CIFA) on the forum about 4-5 years ago.

That isn't supposed to be provocation or even criticism, just an observation which might hopefully lead to a straightforward improvement.

March 15th, 2018, 6:03 pm #579

nfm24 wrote:
CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote: From:  http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/upl ... letter.pdf
There is no need to just repeat what I pasted.  A worthwhile thing to do might be to correct (or at least address) your previous statement "CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM" which is false according to a letter signed by your president, and also perhaps to explain why you temporarily forgot this.
It's not false. We registered a NPO on the Isle of Man. Right. Never disputed that. But THE CONIFA NPO was always in Sweden, as the IoM NPO never was able to become operative,as said above.
In other words: There was an empty hull on the IoM for one year, which never did anything, never had an ExCo, never had a member, never had a bank account or anything else.

March 15th, 2018, 6:08 pm #580

nfm24 wrote:By the way, why is the ConIFA constitution *still* not written in proper English?  It was one of the first things raised about ConIFA (then CIFA) on the forum about 4-5 years ago.

That isn't supposed to be provocation or even criticism, just an observation which might hopefully lead to a straightforward improvement.
It's mainly because we love to ignore you.

We did do several changes of the years and I'm not aware of any linguistic flaws. No one within CONIFA or any member did point to any. Also no external made us aware of current flaws. Happy to receive a list or errata by mail to generalsecretary@conifa.org, though, so I can submit it to next January's AGM for approval.

March 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm #581

CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote:There is no need to just repeat what I pasted.  A worthwhile thing to do might be to correct (or at least address) your previous statement "CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM" which is false according to a letter signed by your president, and also perhaps to explain why you temporarily forgot this.
It's not false. We registered a NPO on the Isle of Man. Right. Never disputed that. But THE CONIFA NPO was always in Sweden, as the IoM NPO never was able to become operative,as said above.
In other words: There was an empty hull on the IoM for one year, which never did anything, never had an ExCo, never had a member, never had a bank account or anything else.
I said it was false *according to a letter signed by your president* Mr Blind.   If you want to say that it is not false, that's great, but then address the statement made in Mr Blind's letter which contradicts you.

I don't see what "useful" point you are trying to make in this context by distinguishing between ConIFA NPO (Sweden) and ConIFA Ltd NPO (Isle of Man), given that (a) it is clear you tried to move fully from Sweden to the Isle of Man, but failed, and (b) I didn't specify to which of these I was referring in the first place.

March 15th, 2018, 7:24 pm #582

Any Admin around? Apparently 99% of the post of the user "nfm" have absolutely nothing to do with the World Football Cup 2018

March 15th, 2018, 7:27 pm #583

nfm24 wrote:
CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote:There is no need to just repeat what I pasted.  A worthwhile thing to do might be to correct (or at least address) your previous statement "CONIFA non profit was never registered in the IoM" which is false according to a letter signed by your president, and also perhaps to explain why you temporarily forgot this.
I said it was false *according to a letter signed by your president* Mr Blind.   If you want to say that it is not false, that's great, but then address the statement made in Mr Blind's letter which contradicts you.

I don't see what "useful" point you are trying to make in this context by distinguishing between ConIFA NPO (Sweden) and ConIFA Ltd NPO (Isle of Man), given that (a) it is clear you tried to move fully from Sweden to the Isle of Man, but failed, and (b) I didn't specify to which of these I was referring in the first place.

Both correct. At the time, CONIFA was technically also registered at the Isle of Man. At the same time, CONIFA was registered in Sweden and only this Swedish entity was filled with any life. There's no contradiction.

March 15th, 2018, 7:46 pm #584

CONIFAGenSec wrote:Any Admin around? Apparently 99% of the post of the user "nfm" have absolutely nothing to do with the World Football Cup 2018
They are mostly to do with ConIFA though, which is relevant to the topic.   Anyway, we tend not to accede to requests to delete posts, as you may know. 

March 15th, 2018, 7:53 pm #585

CONIFAGenSec wrote:At the time, CONIFA was technically also registered at the Isle of Man.
Good, so we're all in full agreement then.  Nice when that happens occasionally.

March 15th, 2018, 8:02 pm #586

CONIFAGenSec wrote:
nfm24 wrote:By the way, why is the ConIFA constitution *still* not written in proper English?  It was one of the first things raised about ConIFA (then CIFA) on the forum about 4-5 years ago.
It's mainly because we love to ignore you.
Hmm. Perhaps "ignore" has some alternative meaning in German of which I am not aware.

We did do several changes of the years and I'm not aware of any linguistic flaws.
Well, it is not written in proper English, as I just said.  Perhaps you don't consider that a flaw, or you just don't believe me.  Or perhaps you meant specific flaws, in which case, here are a couple of easy examples:

The first phrase of the first sentence on the front cover: "In accordance to", should be "In accordance with"
The title of the second page: "Table of Content", should be "Table of Contents"
Etc.

Also no external made us aware of current flaws.
Untrue, I (and others) did already on this forum, e.g. in September 2013 and at various points since then.

Excerpt:
DJLiesel wrote:
I highly doubt it has any typo or grammar errors, though. [...] Could you please name some of the mistakes you mentioned?
nfm24 wrote:
just in the short quote I cited before (article 47) there are two such errors.

"a Football Associations"  --- >  "a Football Association"
"is not member of CIFA"  --- >  "is not a member of CIFA"

Needless to say, they occur at a similar frequency throughout the document.
NB: the above two errors still remain in the current version.

Happy to receive a list or errata by mail to generalsecretary@conifa.org, though, so I can submit it to next January's AGM for approval.
The errors I pointed out (in 2013 and since) were not corrected.  Also, you still haven't offered any reply to my last email sent to that address (which was about Euro 2017).

Nevertheless, assuming you are willing to show some tangible commitment to address these issues, I would be willing to send you a comprehensive errata list.

In exchange, I would ask for ConIFA membership for the next 2 years.

March 15th, 2018, 8:04 pm #587

nfm24 wrote:
CONIFAGenSec wrote:Any Admin around? Apparently 99% of the post of the user "nfm" have absolutely nothing to do with the World Football Cup 2018
They are mostly to do with ConIFA though, which is relevant to the topic.   Anyway, we tend not to accede to requests to delete posts, as you may know. 
You also seem to not tend to be topical. But that's fine, who needs structure in a forum anyways. You're not here to get read by anyone.

March 15th, 2018, 8:35 pm #588

CONIFAGenSec wrote:You also seem to not tend to be topical. But that's fine, who needs structure in a forum anyways. You're not here to get read by anyone.
The structure of the forum is of 10 sub-forums, each on various topics in international football.   As you have engaged only in one of these 10, you may be rather unqualified to comment on the tendencies and motivations of other members.

March 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm #589

New Paddy Power advert, and it's actually kind of... good? What sorcery is this!? Looks like they're actually not so bad outside their traditional 'banter' zone... great craic.

Although they might be some of the ghosts lurking round here, nicked my 'get YouTubers involved' idea...

Also, good news that it's all being streamed (I'm guessing) for free, bad news that it probably involves subscribing to PP on Facebook... 😒

March 21st, 2018, 5:46 pm #590

mattsanger92 wrote:Also, good news that it's all being streamed (I'm guessing) for free, bad news that it probably involves subscribing to PP on Facebook... 😒
That might throw off an algorithm or two.

Can we get a tetris commentator in, pretty pretty please? "Boom! Goal for Abkhazia!"

March 21st, 2018, 5:46 pm #591

mattsanger92 wrote:New Paddy Power advert, and it's actually kind of... good? What sorcery is this!? Looks like they're actually not so bad outside their traditional 'banter' zone... great craic.

Although they might be some of the ghosts lurking round here, nicked my 'get YouTubers involved' idea...

Also, good news that it's all being streamed (I'm guessing) for free, bad news that it probably involves subscribing to PP on Facebook...
Indeed for free.

March 21st, 2018, 9:03 pm #592

Kaizeler wrote:Can we get a tetris commentator in, pretty pretty please?
Gradually, things are falling into place.

Or maybe a staring commentator, in case anyone couldn't see eye to eye.

March 21st, 2018, 9:04 pm #593

I don't quite understand the PP advert - is the joke that Sol Campbell will do anything for money, or that he's crap at managing (or both)?

March 22nd, 2018, 3:42 pm #594

Probably both (although not sure how much he'd get (if any) for a ConIFA coaching role, I'm sure he'll survive without one anyway).

Impressed that he was able to laugh at himself like this though, doesn't really seem the type.

April 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm #595

Both medal matches to be played in Enfield.

I can think of something that rhymes that might've been a better fit for the occasion but it's a bit out the way of London...

April 12th, 2018, 4:47 pm #596

As the mayor of Enfield is Mrs Christine 'Battleaxe' Hamilton, this may be an omen for the Vikings of Yorkshire.

April 17th, 2018, 3:41 pm #597

Been noticing these kinds of tweets a bit more frequently lately, looks like they're going down the "not FIFA" marketing road. Paddy's advice?

Neither a good thing or a bad thing overall really, will certainly give a shot in the arm publicity-wise but is it the best thing to be pushing the whole black-and-white narrative which could cause problems further down the line? Discuss.

April 17th, 2018, 4:09 pm #598

They don't have much choice but to make a virtue out of the niche aspects.  FIFA being unpopular in the UK helps. Even if it stirs up a bit of flak, there is the old "any publicity is good publicity" maxim.

Though saying it is "100% FIFA free" is obviously nonsense, as has been discussed before.

April 17th, 2018, 4:58 pm #599

nfm24 wrote:They don't have much choice but to make a virtue out of the niche aspects.  FIFA being unpopular in the UK helps. Even if it stirs up a bit of flak, there is the old "any publicity is good publicity" maxim.
A worry there might be that the reasons for FIFA's unpopularity in the UK is as much (in my opinion) based in general insularity/elitism/xenophobia as it is genuine concern for the sport as a whole. That component typically aren't the kind of people who are going to be won over by foreigners with non-league quality play, no matter how far they travelled to get here.

Overall probably good for a short-term gain for ConIFA and they've got little to lose (especially from the component that genuinely do want to see a 'purer' side to the sport but just weren't aware of things like this before), but maybe not the ideal way to approach it.

April 17th, 2018, 6:43 pm #600

mattsanger92 wrote:... FIFA's unpopularity in the UK is as much (in my opinion) based in general insularity/elitism/xenophobia as it is genuine concern for the sport as a whole. That component typically aren't the kind of people who are going to be won over by foreigners with non-league quality play, no matter how far they travelled to get here.
True but it can increase media attention, awareness, and then you get increased access to the people you actually want.