My Mitochondrial Test

My Mitochondrial Test

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 2:08 pm #1

I have order additional reports about my J 1 c 8 results. If they give any interesting information I will pass it along. The two matches I received notice "being a match" have not been helpful.

This results, however, has settle any thought this female line contained African-American or Native American.

The following surnames I will be trying to tract through legal & public records: starting with my grandmother:

1. Olive Odillion KING born 29 Oct 1906 (born on mother's birth date) Yuma, Carroll Co. TN died 22 Jun 1982 Silver Spring, Montgomery Co. MD m. Roy Dennis Hopgood, she had one sister who could have passed along the same Mitochondrial markers. She was the daughter of:

2. Dessie Green BOLEN b. 29 Oct 1885 Bowling Green, Warren Co. KY, died 4 Nov 1967 Alton, Madison Co. KY married Joseph Hulon King, she had sisters who could have passed along the same D.N.A. markers. She was the daughter of:

I have a picture (me, my mother, O.O. King & D.G. Bolen) of the four generations of this direct line. I have personal knowledge of all the women in this direct line and offical records.

3. Amanda E. MELTON b. 25 Aug 1853 Henderson Co. TN, d. 30 Aug 1888 Yuma, Carroll Co. TN m. Sion Monroe Bolen, she was the only daughter of:
I have a picture of Amanda E. with my gr-grandmother as an infant.

4. Frances L. MORRIS b. 1824 Henderson Co. VA, d. 13 Aug 1878 Henderson Co. TN married Cornelius Melton, she had a sister and they were the daughter of Elizabeth

5. Elizabeth BROWN b. 1780 in Orange Co. NC, d. after 1872 Henderson Co. VA, married Isaac Morris. For the 1870 Henderson Co. TN she was living with her daughter Frances L. (Morris) Melton and her granddaughter Amanda E. Melton. So my line is set for seven generations.

The records I have order and studied for Henderson Co. TN, I can't find a legal document naming the parents of said Elizabeth (Brown) Morris. If the records exist then I will have to find them in other counties in TN or in Orange Co. NC.

I am still looking for good documentation as to the children of Isaac Morris & said Elizabeth Brown.

I am aware others have posted information about my line on the "net" and a good amount of the information they do not give their sources.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 2:48 pm #2

Since the court house of Henderson Co. TN has in the past burned down, all the early records for the people living in the area were lost. Like marriage records, birth or death records, land deeds and will etc.... So "we" have to use whatever we can find.

Some of the names of Elizabeth's children are based on Federal Census or Bible Records which have been collected by researchers in the past, some could be based on oral conversation.

Children of Isaac & Elizabeth (Brown) Morris:

1. Mahala Morris b. c1800 NC, she was living with Elizabeth Morrice (sic) for the 1830, not listed for 1840 census, either married or died without issue. She was included on the listing of children supplied by Delores Holladay.

2. Henry Morris b. 18 May 1805 NC, m-1 28 Jan 1830 Henderson Co. TN China G. Foyster, m-2 29 Dec 1841 in Henderson Co. to Piety Cazort, d. 3 Oct 1851 Henderson Co. TN, buried in Morris Family Cemetery in Henderson Co. TN. I have a picture of his grave marker, bible records dealing with his families found in the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith. Said Delores Holladay was a descendant of this couple. If she had personal knowledge about parentage & siblings of Henry I do not know. Hope that is the case.
He had a son named Felix and a daughter named Amanda, so did Frances L. (Morris) Melton.

3. Zenus Morris b. 1814 NC, m-1...........? m-2 c1838 Dorothy Ann Austin, d. c1859 Henderson Co. TN. I believe I have contacted in the past by researcher of his line. For the latter census I believe one of his daughters living with Benson family. I do not know if this is the only reason believe a relationship with #4 James G. Morris. There is a place for male his age group 1830 census Elizabeth Morrice (sic)

4. James G. Morris b. 1817 NC m. c1842 Mahala Benson, d. c1869 Henderson Co. TN. Delores Holladay had him on her list as son of Elizabeth as James Morris. D.N.A test has been done.

5. Wm. Pitts Morris b. 12 Jan 1817 Sumner Co. TN, m. 2 Jul 1838 Perry Co. TN to Elvira Jane Johnson, d. 22 Apr 1893 Camden Cemetery in Benton Co. TN. His name on the list of Delores Holladay. You will find a lot information about him in the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith. In connection with him is only one piece of information which named his parents as Isaac Morris & Elizabeth Brown as coming into TN for Orange Co. NC. I have not been able to find any record that he directly named any of his siblings. In the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith stated that he personal talked to the family members of said Wm. P. Morris. His works contains a picture of said Wm. P. Morris & his house.

6. George W. Morris b. 1821 TN, m. L.J. Morgan, died by 1870 Henderson Co. TN. He is connected to Elizabeth and his sister Frances L. (Morris) Melton by census information. Delores Holladay did not include him on her listing of children.

7. Frances L. Morris b. 1824 Henderson Co. TN, m. Cornelius Melton, d. 13 Aug 1878 Henderson Co. TN. Connected to Elizabeth (Brown) Morris by 1830,1840,1850, 1860 & 1870 census. Delores Holladay did not include her on her listing of children. This is my blood line, D.N.A. done.

Since Reed Morris has done his D.N.A test any Morris male has been handed a "gold opportunity" , just submit your own sample to see if you match.

If you descend from said Mahala Morris then you could help document the above set of children.

I have the names of other Morrice living in 1830 Henderson Co. TN, if you know if related to Isaac & Elizabeth (Brown) Morris, I would love to know your sources.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 2:57 pm #3

I have order additional reports about my J 1 c 8 results. If they give any interesting information I will pass it along. The two matches I received notice "being a match" have not been helpful.

This results, however, has settle any thought this female line contained African-American or Native American.

The following surnames I will be trying to tract through legal & public records: starting with my grandmother:

1. Olive Odillion KING born 29 Oct 1906 (born on mother's birth date) Yuma, Carroll Co. TN died 22 Jun 1982 Silver Spring, Montgomery Co. MD m. Roy Dennis Hopgood, she had one sister who could have passed along the same Mitochondrial markers. She was the daughter of:

2. Dessie Green BOLEN b. 29 Oct 1885 Bowling Green, Warren Co. KY, died 4 Nov 1967 Alton, Madison Co. KY married Joseph Hulon King, she had sisters who could have passed along the same D.N.A. markers. She was the daughter of:

I have a picture (me, my mother, O.O. King & D.G. Bolen) of the four generations of this direct line. I have personal knowledge of all the women in this direct line and offical records.

3. Amanda E. MELTON b. 25 Aug 1853 Henderson Co. TN, d. 30 Aug 1888 Yuma, Carroll Co. TN m. Sion Monroe Bolen, she was the only daughter of:

4. Frances L. MORRIS b. 1824 Henderson Co. VA, d. 13 Aug 1878 Henderson Co. TN married Cornelius Melton, she had a sister and they were the daughter of Elizabeth

5. Elizabeth BROWN b. 1780 in Orange Co. NC, d. after 1872 Henderson Co. VA, married Isaac Morris. For the 1870 Henderson Co. TN she was living with her daughter Frances L. (Morris) Melton and her granddaughter Amanda E. Melton. So my line is set for seven generations.

The records I have order and studied for Henderson Co. TN, I can't find a legal document naming the parents of said Elizabeth (Brown) Morris. If the records exist then I will have to find them in other counties in TN or in Orange Co. NC.

I am still looking for good documentation as to the children of Isaac Morris & said Elizabeth Brown.

I am aware others have posted information about my line on the "net" and a good amount of the information they do not give their sources.

Living next door to my Elizabeth Morrice (sic) 1830 Henderson Co. TN:

Alanson Morrice female 50-60, other in household: 2 males under 5, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 20-30, 1 female 20-30. I am wondering if a sister-in-law to said Elizabeth. I do not see a place for Zenus Morris, so I will keep him in Elizabeth's group of children.

George W. Morrice male 20-30, 1 female 20-30, 2 female under five. Said Elizabeth named her son George W. as well.

Hugh Morrice male 20-30, 1 male under 5, 2 females under 5, 1 female 20-30

Thomas Morrice 1 male 50-60, 2 males 10-15, 1 male 15-20,1 male 20-30, 2 females under 5, 2 females 5-10, 1 females 15-20,1 female 40-50. Old enough to be same generation as Isaac Morris.

Wm. Morrice 1 male 20-30, 1 female 30-40

In the future I will be looking for these Morrice also leaving Orange Co. NC for this part of TN.

Later census Henderson Co. TN shows a group of Morris being born in SC, so I do not think related to my group of Morrice/Morris

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 4:18 pm #4

An article printed in "The Lexington Progress" or "The Times" in connection with Cornelius Francis Melton (known as "Hop"). He was the brother of my Amanda E. (Melton) Bolen.

The article has a picture of said C.F. Melton his wife Martha Jane Lovell and their two children.

The statement that is wrong names his mother as: "Their mother was Martha Morris Melton. Her parents Joseph & Nancy Morris are the same ones spoken of and featured in the book Westward to the Round Top. They are buried at Shiloh Cemetery"

This information was suppled by Roma Roberts. I have no idea what sources she had, but does not square with all known facts about Amanda E. Melton & her siblings and their mother Frances L. (Morris) Melton.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 4:52 pm #5

In year 2000 I became aware of some information placed in L.D.S. computer bank by Antoinette Pedersen she has the parentage of Charles Melton of early Charles City Co., VA back into early 1300's in England.

I send an e-mail to Nancy Pratt Melton (editor of Milton/Melton Pot) asking her who was said Pedersen and did she have real documentation, her response:

"Siwate de Meltona was create by a researcher who admitted she made-it-up !!!. I have put out warnings on GenForum and Rootweb List and people still pick it up and use in their genealogy! That piece of fiction is going to haunt the net forever !!! Can you get back to Pederson and let her known that it is pure fiction" signed Nancy Pratt Melton dated 16 Aug 2000

I did write Antoinette Pedersen she did not response. I can not begin to understand why people want to place this kind of material on the net.

If you are watching T.V. and the "Ancestry.Com" ad comes on talking about their services. Part of their claim you can clink on any one of thousands of names in their Ancestry Tree and "pop"--your ancestors will just appear "back before the Civil War."

Well part of their fine computer bank includes the work of the above A. Pedersen supplied into the mix by Wm. Simon of AK. Now either he did not see Nancy P. Melton note on the net or did not care. Let's hope he did not know. But he did not take any time at all to gather his own records on the family.

I have found a book by now late E. Frank Melton which claims to take the Melton family back 17 generations. I tried to order the book through L.D.S. library system & my public library system but it is not being send out. The book is for sale for $44 & $4 postage. I am afraid he has just pick up Pederson's "made up genealogy".

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 5:51 pm #6

My grandmother King has the same Rust ancestry that some of our Rust/McKay cousin have back to Wm. Rust of early Westmoreland Co. VA.

The book by the late Elwood Rust has some incorrect information in it which I picked up. I thought I had a doubt line of Rust which I now know is not true.

Another researcher "straighten me out" which I am glad he did for Sarah Cox of early Westmoreland Co. VA has some interesting blood lines. Vincent Cox of early Westmoreland Co. VA came from Kempston, Bedforshire, England. Peter Presly & Elizabeth Thompson of early Northampton Co. VA. Thomas Lamkin of Kemptson, Bedford, England & his wife Eleanor........? died Westmoreland Co. VA. Jane Ashton of early Westmoreland Co. VA daughter of Charles Ashton & Margaret Hart. I believe her grandfather Abraham Field had his plantation on Pope Creek near the Washington Plantation.

All lived in early Westmoreland Co. VA which means I only have to read records in that one location for about six different families. I hope my Morris family lived in the same area, but I have not found the necessary records filed in Orange Co. NC.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 6:48 pm #7

Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to exchange information directly with the late Harold Jean Bolen of GA. And I would have asked some direct & hard questions.

Our common ancestors were Reeves Bolen & Durainey Carrington. He descended from his eldest son John W. Bolen and my great-grandmother Dessie G. Bolen from his youngest son Sion M. Bolen.

When I first started to collect information about my great-grandmother Dessie Green Bolen I ran into his material:that the Bolen of Henderson Co. TN were descendants of the Bolling of VA (descendants of Pocahontas). As another researcher told me "he so wanted to be related Pocahontas that he just made up material about the family in North Carolina down from VA." The "Professional Genealogist" who he had hired stopped supplying him material when he saw him twisting, changing, deleting etc....material which did not fit with what he wanted to believe.

There are a lot of other researches (mostly living in the South) who have also supplied materials to others trying to connect their Bowling, Bolen etc...to the Bolling family of VA. The Collection of Papers called "Phelps Works" you can order all on film through L.D.S. library.

Well we now have D.N.A test and the Bolling family of VA has a rather large project collecting samples. I do not know if any of my male Bolen have been tested, but I am sure they are not related to the group that H.J. Bolen has spread information. Most likely they came down from MD into Granville Co. NC.

His materials show up in local newspapers and into others personal libraries. He was going to publish his works, but died before it could be completed, called "A Family History 1476-1976"

I realize it is not good to "speak ill of the dead", but he wasted a lot of my time and money collecting information about the Bolling of VA. Why should I sit by and let others waste their time & money as well.

My cousin from TN send me some picture of the Bolen of Henderson Co. TN that belong to the descendants of John W. Bolen and some could have had "non-white" blood lines, but they would not have been from Pocahontas !!! Perhaps in the future Mitochondrial DNA test might shed light on this mytery.

Michael McKay
Michael McKay

July 7th, 2010, 10:22 pm #8

I know that there were Bollings were said to be direct descendants of Pocahontas. Others who possess the Bolling name (& variants) claim various Indian origins, mostly claiming Cherokee. What would be interesting is if you were to find some of these people being listed on census records as being 'mulatto' rather than 'white' as I've done with some of my Hartless ancestors.

Being you're tracing some of your ancestors to Coastal North Carolina you may find quite a few of these families have Indian claims. My friend Sara Whitford who lives in that area has done quite a bit of research on her ancestors and studying Indian ancestry. She's been helpful in regards to my ancestors on Mom's side. Believe ultimately we share common ancestry but I'm sure it's several generations back, much further than Robert Mackay Sr. is on my dad's side. Just a lot of similarities.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 7th, 2010, 11:50 pm #9

Since the court house of Henderson Co. TN has in the past burned down, all the early records for the people living in the area were lost. Like marriage records, birth or death records, land deeds and will etc.... So "we" have to use whatever we can find.

Some of the names of Elizabeth's children are based on Federal Census or Bible Records which have been collected by researchers in the past, some could be based on oral conversation.

Children of Isaac & Elizabeth (Brown) Morris:

1. Mahala Morris b. c1800 NC, she was living with Elizabeth Morrice (sic) for the 1830, not listed for 1840 census, either married or died without issue. She was included on the listing of children supplied by Delores Holladay.

2. Henry Morris b. 18 May 1805 NC, m-1 28 Jan 1830 Henderson Co. TN China G. Foyster, m-2 29 Dec 1841 in Henderson Co. to Piety Cazort, d. 3 Oct 1851 Henderson Co. TN, buried in Morris Family Cemetery in Henderson Co. TN. I have a picture of his grave marker, bible records dealing with his families found in the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith. Said Delores Holladay was a descendant of this couple. If she had personal knowledge about parentage & siblings of Henry I do not know. Hope that is the case.
He had a son named Felix and a daughter named Amanda, so did Frances L. (Morris) Melton.

3. Zenus Morris b. 1814 NC, m-1...........? m-2 c1838 Dorothy Ann Austin, d. c1859 Henderson Co. TN. I believe I have contacted in the past by researcher of his line. For the latter census I believe one of his daughters living with Benson family. I do not know if this is the only reason believe a relationship with #4 James G. Morris. There is a place for male his age group 1830 census Elizabeth Morrice (sic)

4. James G. Morris b. 1817 NC m. c1842 Mahala Benson, d. c1869 Henderson Co. TN. Delores Holladay had him on her list as son of Elizabeth as James Morris. D.N.A test has been done.

5. Wm. Pitts Morris b. 12 Jan 1817 Sumner Co. TN, m. 2 Jul 1838 Perry Co. TN to Elvira Jane Johnson, d. 22 Apr 1893 Camden Cemetery in Benton Co. TN. His name on the list of Delores Holladay. You will find a lot information about him in the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith. In connection with him is only one piece of information which named his parents as Isaac Morris & Elizabeth Brown as coming into TN for Orange Co. NC. I have not been able to find any record that he directly named any of his siblings. In the works of Jonathan K.T. Smith stated that he personal talked to the family members of said Wm. P. Morris. His works contains a picture of said Wm. P. Morris & his house.

6. George W. Morris b. 1821 TN, m. L.J. Morgan, died by 1870 Henderson Co. TN. He is connected to Elizabeth and his sister Frances L. (Morris) Melton by census information. Delores Holladay did not include him on her listing of children.

7. Frances L. Morris b. 1824 Henderson Co. TN, m. Cornelius Melton, d. 13 Aug 1878 Henderson Co. TN. Connected to Elizabeth (Brown) Morris by 1830,1840,1850, 1860 & 1870 census. Delores Holladay did not include her on her listing of children. This is my blood line, D.N.A. done.

Since Reed Morris has done his D.N.A test any Morris male has been handed a "gold opportunity" , just submit your own sample to see if you match.

If you descend from said Mahala Morris then you could help document the above set of children.

I have the names of other Morrice living in 1830 Henderson Co. TN, if you know if related to Isaac & Elizabeth (Brown) Morris, I would love to know your sources.
Looking over some of my notes, I think I am now missing the name of Elizabeth's eldest daughter. Other researchers have her name as Mary, but no sources given. So I will continue to look for the name in other records.

Dee Ann Buck
Dee Ann Buck

July 8th, 2010, 12:33 am #10

I know that there were Bollings were said to be direct descendants of Pocahontas. Others who possess the Bolling name (& variants) claim various Indian origins, mostly claiming Cherokee. What would be interesting is if you were to find some of these people being listed on census records as being 'mulatto' rather than 'white' as I've done with some of my Hartless ancestors.

Being you're tracing some of your ancestors to Coastal North Carolina you may find quite a few of these families have Indian claims. My friend Sara Whitford who lives in that area has done quite a bit of research on her ancestors and studying Indian ancestry. She's been helpful in regards to my ancestors on Mom's side. Believe ultimately we share common ancestry but I'm sure it's several generations back, much further than Robert Mackay Sr. is on my dad's side. Just a lot of similarities.
In this case, H.J. Bolen just made up facts because he wanted to be a descendants of a "famous Indian".

If females could be tested African-American shows up as "L" and Native American as "A" or "C". I do not know if they can place you in an individual tribes or not. Seems a lot of people seem to want to claim "Cherokee" perhaps they like the song "Cherokee People, Cherokee Tribe". Of course, Pocahontas was not a member of that group.

I know nothing about his female blood lines: Farmer & Jean families of early TN. It could be his females line contained "non-white", but not of Pocahontas. The pictures have been seen by several people I know, the first remark "Looks African-American".

If a person on the census was listed as "mulatto" that means African-American. In my Dictionary "The offspring of one white parent and one Negro parent". The people compiling the census and other court records were local people they knew who were of mixed race. And if they failed to record the proper race, they would go to jail. I do not know if Native American were required to be recorded on census records--1850,1860,1870. I have not looked at later census. I have seen CA census in 1900 list Chinese separately. Not listed as "Mulatto".

I have looked in the past at some paid Bolling Site at the public library and they have D.N.A tested posted for all to see. They also divide his descendants as "Red" & "White" Bollings. One group from his first marriage (descendants of Pocahontas) and "White" Bolling from his second marriage.
Far more Bolling, Bolen, Bowling totally different Haplogroup.

All Ball researcher start their research believe a member of Mary Ball's family, mother of George Washington. In the end most are not. Taylor researchers I have known working with VA records, all want to be related to President Z. Taylor, they are not. People just want to be related to famous people.