Snowmass comments, pictures, and videos

Ideas/Discussion of new events (race or social), how to conduct our events, format improvements, etc.

Snowmass comments, pictures, and videos

Alder RMVR

18 Sep 2017, 04:55 #1

Kudos to the Snowmass Team who put together what was a remarkable event.   As all who participated know, it came off beautifully.  Also, it seemed to be very well received by the Snowmass community.  In fact, all the locals I talked to were glowing in their praise of the event.  RMVR really benefited from this event.

Please use this thread to post your thoughts and/or links to pics or videos. 

As already posted elsewhere, here a link to Rupert Berrington's photos from Snowmass: http://action.zenfolio.com/p573876810

bossaleen

18 Sep 2017, 15:06 #2

Alder RMVR wrote: Kudos to the Snowmass Team who put together what was a remarkable event.   As all who participated know, it came off beautifully.  Also, it seemed to be very well received by the Snowmass community.  In fact, all the locals I talked to were glowing in their praise of the event.  RMVR really benefited from this event.

Please use this thread to post your thoughts and/or links to pics or videos. 

As already posted elsewhere, here a link to Rupert Berrington's photos from Snowmass: http://action.zenfolio.com/p573876810
I'd like to add my thanks also to Kyle and all the others who put so much passion and effort into making this event a reality.  It was an absolute blast, and I also heard mostly positive (strongly) feedback from participants and locals alike.  Way to go!

crr019

18 Sep 2017, 18:18 #3

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the event the great success it was! It was an amazing experience, the track day was fun and the car show was a hoot! We had tons of kids (moms & dads too) sit in the cars and get their pictures taken. Those will be good memories for them some day. Then, this sweet older lady came up to me and started asking a lot of very knowledgeable technical car questions, then she said she used to race a car similar to mine in the SCCA Trans-Am series! She then introduced herself as Janet Guthrie! I knew about her Indy 500 history but not Trans Am. She said she only did a few races and Mark Donohue beat her both time. How cool is that?

I have no criticism at all for the entire event. However, if we get to do it again and if changes are possible, my only suggestions would be: Try to get a little more safety space (if possible) between the edge of the racing surface and the spectators. IF there were to be an incident, it would be nice to have a little more room to make sure no spectators get hurt. I don't if others saw her, but there was a girl actually sitting on hay bales in the chicane section taking pictures!

I think everyone did a great job making the pit area/trailers work in spite of the limited space. But, if possible, it would be great to improve that situation. Maybe there are other locations available for the race cars and trailers, like down near where the car show was? You could accommodate gridding the cars and still be only a short drive from accessing the track. The upper lots could then be used to park tow vehicles/street cars when everyone goes back to the hotel. Just some thoughts.

Thanks again.

PS- I lost a near new white Bell (L or XL) open face helmet, probably at the Woody Creek track day. I may have left it in one of the trucks that hauled gear over to the track or it may have gotten mixed in with the RMVR loaner helmets. If anyone finds it, shoot me an email at randy.rosetta@motorolasolutions.com.

Alder RMVR

18 Sep 2017, 18:52 #4

Again, NO COMPLAINTS!!!  But while fresh on my mind, one thing about Steamboat was the constant flood of spectator traffic in the paddock.  It was always HUGE and generated many potential members/racers.  As I recall, the town of Steamboat even sold paddock access passes!!!! and had no trouble doing so.  Steamboat got the $$$s and RMVR got foot traffic during the entire event.  While the Snowmass paddock was open, few spectators took advantage or even knew where it was there and available.  This would greatly increase benefit to RMVR (as demonstrated by the car show interest). I magine those great marketing conversations all day long on Thursday also. 

MikeR129

18 Sep 2017, 20:31 #5

I also had fun and thought all involved did a great job!

To Bob's suggestion that the paddock be more accessible, I wonder if it would be possible to have the race cars down closer to the track and the street cars up higher on the hill if we run the same configuration in the future.

Here is a bit of in-car video from the last open wheel race:   

(The rest of my video is in the camera somewhere at Team Terrific HQ.)

mrogers

19 Sep 2017, 03:52 #6

I cannot express how grateful I'm am to the entire RMVR organization for creating this event.  This was by far my favorite RMVR event to attend and photograph.  We've had events with more track time and more 10/10ths racing, but this one reminded me of the first RMVR event that I ever attended, at one of the last Steamboat races.

I ended up with over 2100 images, and will be editing and uploading them as quick as I can.  Requests go to the top of the editing list, as Brant McClung can attest to. Here is a link to the photos that I have edited and uploaded so far:

RMVR Snowmass Street Race by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery
40 Bob Fuller - 1964 Autodynamics Mk 1 - 1.jpg
029 Mike Ries - 1972 Winkelmann WDF4 - 1.jpg
617 Brad Leach - 1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - 01.jpg
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

mrogers

19 Sep 2017, 03:55 #7

A few more samples:
160 Scott Stekr - 1967 BMW 1600 & 189 Kyle Popejoy - 1966 BMW 1600 - 1.jpg
68 Per Eliasen - 1967 NSU 1200TT - 1.jpg
Formula Group - 1.jpg
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

mrogers

19 Sep 2017, 03:58 #8

And the last of the samples images - hopefully these give you an idea of the variety of scenery and action:
Small Bore Group - 1.jpg
914 Brant McClung - 1972 Porsche 914-6 - 6.jpg
196 Bill Brillhart - 1965 MG MGB - 3.jpg
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

mrogers

19 Sep 2017, 04:52 #9

I can also create digitally painted images from any of my photos if you're looking for something a bit different:
914 Brant McClung - 1972 Porsche 914-6 - 3.jpg
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

Alder RMVR

19 Sep 2017, 15:09 #10

Mike, fantastic shots.
Bob Alder

wsiebrecht

19 Sep 2017, 16:50 #11

Thank you to everyone involved in making this race happen and participating.  We learned so much this year and will hopefully be able to apply all of it to the event next year... The paddock is high on the list for change for many reasons. We want to hear from everyone both what they liked and what they want to change..... we may not be able to do everything, but knowing is a start.  You can sent comment to me privately through PM here, email, board meetings, feed back session in November, or post them publicly here. 

Great pictures Mike. 

I would like to compile video clips to put together a 1-2 minute highlight video for our website homepage.

- Wayne - BMW #202

Here is the video I posted, enjoy.

crr019

19 Sep 2017, 17:08 #12

mrogers wrote: I cannot express how grateful I'm am to the entire RMVR organization for creating this event.  This was by far my favorite RMVR event to attend and photograph.  We've had events with more track time and more 10/10ths racing, but this one reminded me of the first RMVR event that I ever attended, at one of the last Steamboat races.

I ended up with over 2100 images, and will be editing and uploading them as quick as I can.  Requests go to the top of the editing list, as Brant McClung can attest to. Here is a link to the photos that I have edited and uploaded so far:

RMVR Snowmass Street Race by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery
Mike, definitely interested, especially if you have shots of big bore and my 602 Mustang taken where you are back in the trees. That really frames the picture nicely and shows the street race aspect and the mountains in the back ground.

Thanks - Randy

redspitfireracer

19 Sep 2017, 19:06 #13

Mike,

Nice stuff! I am also interested in shots of my #78 Yellow/White Datsun 510 in group 1. Thanks!

Mark Robinson
mtrobinson272@yahoo.com

Alder RMVR

20 Sep 2017, 00:41 #14

OK, here's

my video contribution.

This is a 10 minutes video of the second open wheel session, cut short after 3 laps due to someone just barely nosing into a barrier.  Such incidents were very few (only two or three) and not all even required the race to stop.  Overall, everyone on very, very good behavior, exhibiting briskly, but not racing.

Sorry for the poor quality sound.  Turn it down or off as it's rather irritating.

wsiebrecht

20 Sep 2017, 02:50 #15

Here is a video from someone that was off corner bunker 4

wsiebrecht

20 Sep 2017, 03:03 #16

And here is footage from a drone (city approved) 

mrogers

20 Sep 2017, 03:43 #17

crr019 wrote: Mike, definitely interested, especially if you have shots of big bore and my 602 Mustang taken where you are back in the trees. That really frames the picture nicely and shows the street race aspect and the mountains in the back ground.

Thanks - Randy
Randy - Working on your photos now (got a late start, long day in the office today).  Most of my big bore images were from the uphill climb on the resort side.  Not sure if I've got anything from back in the trees of you yet.
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

mrogers

20 Sep 2017, 05:38 #18

Posted 14 images of Randy and will be working on Mark's on Wednesday.

Big Bore Group Link
602 Randy Rosetta - 1970 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - 14.jpg
602 Randy Rosetta - 1970 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - 11.jpg
602 Randy Rosetta - 1970 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - 6.jpg
If it moves. shoot it!
www.driven-imagery.com

160green

22 Sep 2017, 06:47 #19

Raw video from Race #1 car #160

Alder RMVR

22 Sep 2017, 15:29 #20

Cool.  Your group saw a LOT more passing and exhibition racin' than us timid open wheerlers. Nicely done.  Congrats.