Need a Way Out

All of those dead/completed roleplay threads

Need a Way Out

02 Feb 2011, 00:06 #1

Now that she was "feeling better" (airquotes highly necessary) nobody really noticed where Tori went. Especially when she was poking through the storage rooms. It was quite a familiar sight, even, and probably on some level instilled some sort of sense of normalcy.

As long as nobody cared or paid too much attention, it was okay. And the only ones that would have noticed if she was poking around where she wasn't, were gone or too busy to pay attention to a crazy drug addict.

It was getting worse. Every day, every hour, it felt, that she went without some sort of wonderful chemical in her blood, was an assault on her senses.

She could hear voices, sneaky, horrible, whispering voices, and she could feel those stupid feelings from everyone still. Without her self-administered self-dosed medication, she knew of no way to deal with her Empathy, which was still on high alert. She felt every scrap of pity and the little ones of disgust and worse was when they felt nothing at all because they ignored her. Not even a hint of fear, or the strange sense of thankfulness and security, that the humans created when the other werewolves were around. It was a mixed bag, really, and made sense. They were monsters, they should be feared, especially with what they could do. But they (not her, the rest of them) protected the humans, and kept them from what was pretty much guaranteed to be a horrible death.

Nope, nobody felt anything for Tori. She was just Tori.

But she could feel them. All of them. Always. And she could smell them, when she wasn't breathing in the sweet smoke of a cig. They permeated everything, and her very bones screamed at her to jump them, bite them, haul them off and lick the wounds she would make so that they would Turn and there would be more. And her entire essence shrank from the idea, terrified of it.

The cabinet where the chemicals used to be kept was empty. Dammit, they must have moved everything.

Tori stumbled outside and gnawed on the corner of her ragged fingernail.

Slinger
Advanced Member
Slinger
Advanced Member

02 Feb 2011, 17:31 #2

Slinger wasn’t creepy. Not even a little. He stood up there on the water tower he had claimed as his own. He peered down, watching over the town of Point Gray, his huge blue eyes, enhanced by his Gift and years of honing, soaked up every movement below. His hand moved furiously, making shorthand notes of the movements of those he had decided to keep an eye on. His watch beeped. His shift was over. He slung his rifle over his shoulder, and shoved his notebook into his pocket. He looked down one last time and saw Tori, very distinct with the bright red hair, entering the storehouse.

Whether he believed something was afoot, or if he just wanted to pick on her, no one can really say. He moved quickly, practically sliding down the water tower’s ladder. He made his way to the storehouse, and quickly scrambled up to the roof. He stood close to the edge, and waited for his prey, the wolf inside of him squealing with joy at the hunt, even if the prey was so pathetic. She exited. Slinger leapt.

He landed a few feet behind her, near-silently. His boots crunched on the snow, and his back popped when he straightened his spine.

“Didn’t find what you were looking for, then?”

02 Feb 2011, 20:13 #3

With so many people around, she couldn't distinguish Slinger's emotions from the constant background noise that she felt now. And she couldn't hear him landing because she was too busy listening to a voice telling her that the drugs were gone, all gone, she would never find them, and she would die because she was crazy.

"Didn't find what you were looking for, then?"

At the first word, Tori jumped, visibly moving as she shied away from him, startled, eyes ringed with wide white (still bloodshot, but when weren't they?) and focused.

Jack, shit, jeez. This asshole. Fitting company, in a sort of poetic justice way. Somebody who actually paid attention and didn't have that stupid soft heart that wouldn't let her die.

Now, the real question, was should she lie to him? Well. He hadn't exactly asked what she was looking for, yet.

Tori shook her head, chewing on her nail again.

"All out. Must need to make a supplies run."

Truth be told, it was a little bit of a mess inside. They had been suffering -- in however small a way -- for lack of her skills.

Slinger
Advanced Member
Slinger
Advanced Member

03 Feb 2011, 04:21 #4

Slinger stepped closer to her. Because fuck personal space. He was the goddamn 'Slinger. He looked at up at her intently. Normally, this would have been fairly embarrassing, having to stare down a woman half a foot taller than him. But Jack was hardly a normal guy. To him, all tall people meant was that they were bigger targets.

"Oh? And what exactly were you looking for, then? Hopefully some dye to get rid of that shitty hair color you were cursed with." His Calling pushed him a little, and he sighed. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his journal and his little pen. "But, really. What was it. I've got to make a run soon anyway."

03 Feb 2011, 05:27 #5

So much for that plan.

Tori rubbed her neck, eyeing the windows of the other buildings.

"S'not that important. Could just be in another building."

However she'd managed to keep it secret before, she couldn't let them know now. Especially not an asshole like Jack, who would probably hold it over her head or use it as a reason to kick her out. Not like she didn't deserve it, but the idea of dying horribly out in the city was horrifying.

"Looks like we're gonna get low on sugar soon."

Slinger
Advanced Member
Slinger
Advanced Member

04 Feb 2011, 02:55 #6

Somehow, Jack didn't think either of those things were terribly
likely. Why on earth would Tori want sugar, anyway? She certainly
didn't seem to be the cooking sort. He guessed it was possible,
but...he wouldn't bet on it. And Jack was quite the betting man, oddly
enough. He shifted the weight of his gun and closed his book, then
looked back at what was practically a living porcelian doll before
him.

"Really? Sugar? We've got more than enough to hold us until the next
supply run. And you know where it's kept. So that means you're looking
for something you're not supposed to have, and you're trying to hide
it from your superior. So. Let's hear it then. What kind of
drugs were you looking for? And, why should I let you keep trying to
get them?"

04 Feb 2011, 02:57 #7

Shit.

Tori cringed, sliding her eyes away from anywhere near Jack; whether it was out of submission or her lack of straightforwardness remained to be seen. Probably a combination of both. Subconsciously, she pulled her neck to the side, exposing it in deference as her hand pulled at her (fading but still eye searing) red hair from the other side.

"Morphine," she muttered quietly, "Codeine, hydrocodone, Valium, all of that."

The modern, white collar version of a heroin addict. Not that she hadn't been one of those, too.

The sweet, sweet whispers of euphoria taunted her.

"Keeps the voices away."

Jeff Williams walked by, pulling a wagon with glass panes on it. Tori watched him, muscles tense, eyes fixed, nostrils flaring.

When he left, she sunk to the ground, head in both hands.

"Makes me not care about them."

She whispered to her feet.

"Don't want to bite them anymore. Take them, drag them off, bite them until they Turn."

She was an Infector.

"It worked before. Now all gone, can't go out like I used to, not safe, and they won't let me drink anymore. It worked, the booze worked, that's what mattered, who cares if it's bad for me, it keeps everything quiet and away."

Slinger
Advanced Member
Slinger
Advanced Member

04 Feb 2011, 02:59 #8

If this had been a movie, Jack would have taken this opportunity to hug her and tell her that everything would be alright. He might have patted her on the back, or even offered to walk her home or some other comforting, homey shit. But this was obviously not a fucking movie, because Jack pushed her to the ground. He stepped close to her, and looked down at her.

"Then do something about it. You're accomplishing shit-all right now. I can't let you take PG's medical supplies, but there are tons of towns dotting the wayside, just waiting to be picked. Go, find them. Get your shit together, for fuck's sake."
A push from his Calling. He struggled against it. But he lost, as he usually does. "I'll...I'll go with you, I guess." He pushed back against his Calling as hard as he could. "But you'll have to offer me something first." Yes. He had to make a Deal. Those were the Rules. You can hear him thinking the capital letters.

04 Feb 2011, 02:59 #9

She fell over, not resisting the push; instead, Tori curled up pathetically, practically belly-up. She didn't have a tail to tuck against her stomach, or ears to pin back, but with her hands in her lank hair and her wide eyes not looking at him, she might as well have.

She couldn't just go out and find her own fix! It was dangerous out there! Infected and maybe even healthy humans and other werewolves for fuck's sake, and all of them would affect her or want to push her around or even attack her and then she would die a horrible death and be ripped apart and nobody would care and as much as Tori thought that life would be better for everyone, herself included, if she were dead, she wasn't stupid enough to go out looking for it.

He'd go with her?

That... That could work. Jack was good at keeping people safe, that's what he did. That was why he was Epsilon.

He didn't care about her, nobody did now that Marcus and Ari were gone. But he could keep her safe until she found a fix and brought it back and was able to be functional again.

Stupid Joseph, trying to fix her, thinking he could help. All they did was make things worse, make them bad. She wasn't any more helpful or sane or functional than she was when drunk off her ass.

Tori didn't look up at Jack, but she did uncurl and face him.

"I don't really have anything. You don't seem like the type to need numbers."

Or the weird shoes she word, or her gangly clothing that wouldn't have fit him anyway. Tori stopped caring about possessions long ago. And she didn't hoard food, either. Ha, what an idea. Tori, keeping food.

Slinger
Advanced Member
Slinger
Advanced Member

04 Feb 2011, 03:00 #10

Jack hated this. He was hoping he wouldn't have to be the one to make the offers. But, whatever. It had to be done by someone, and this fucking useless ragdoll at his feet sure as hell wasn't going to do it. At least, not until she got her fucking drugs. He rubbed his chin for a moment and looked down at her.

"I want undying loyalty to me. I've got a lot of work on my hands keeping the people safe, and I want you to follow what I say, to the letter, unquestioningly. I have to make some use out of you. And the other thing I want is a promise. A vow. To never even attempt to steal from the medicine supply again, as long as I'm alive. As much as it pains me to say, I'm here for you."