GW2Timer on Steam Overlay

January 23rd, 2015, 8:26 pm #1

"Overlay" for Mac and GW2Navi Alternative
The provided GW2Navi overlay program only runs on Windows, as there is a bug with the software library used that prevents it working with Mac. If you use the Mac OS and still wish to use gw2timer.com in the style of an overlay, then you may install Steam.

Instructions
1. Download and install Steam
2. With the Steam window opened, click + ADD A GAME at the bottom left corner and choose Add a Non-Steam Game...
3. Find Guild Wars 2 on the list. If it is not there, click the BROWSE... button and find GW2
4. Run Guild Wars 2 from Steam's library window
5. When running GW2, show the Steam overlay by keystroke Shift+Tab
6. On the Steam Overlay, click VIEW COMMUNITY HUB button to start the browser
7. Use the browser as you would to open gw2timer.com and resize that window to your liking

The Steam Internet browser is the same as Chrome, and it will provide all functionality of the site, including speech notifications. The keystroke Shift+Tab will show/hide the Steam overlay, which in turns show the browser that displays the website. You can set the homepage by clicking SETTINGS at the bottom of the Steam overlay, then on the settings panel click the IN-GAME tab and set the homepage to

Code: Select all

http://gw2timer.com
which will load the website every time you open the Steam browser.

Note that you have to run Steam and start GW2 from there, then open the overlay and manually type in gw2timer.com in the address bar every time. So that inconvenience is a trade off for being able to instantly show the website in fullscreen GW2 as opposed to the lag between alt-tabbing.

Reply to this thread if you need help.
Last edited by Drant on March 2nd, 2015, 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

February 18th, 2015, 3:39 pm #2

Hello, and thank you for your informative article! I already had Steam installed on my Mac, so there was no problem there. However, when I open the overlay and go to gw2timer.com, the map doesn't load. I whitelisted the address like the site suggested, but still no luck. Did anyone else have this problem that you know of?

Thanks!

February 18th, 2015, 8:09 pm #3

Can you give a screenshot of the Steam browser displaying the site?

When you say the map doesn't load, is it the map only, or the whole site doesn't work? Does gw2timer.com work when you view it on Safari?

Kitty Cat
Kitty Cat

February 28th, 2015, 5:06 pm #4

hi,

thank you so much for this. i downloaded steam, it plays gw just fine from it. however, i press Shift tab and do not get an overlay to appear.

plz advice thank you.

February 28th, 2015, 8:42 pm #5

Do you have another Steam game you can test? Does the Steam overlay show up when you Shift+Tab there?

Try this solution http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/f ... 7170951347

Kitty Cat xo
Kitty Cat xo

March 2nd, 2015, 3:47 pm #6

ok i got the overlay to pop up now:) i can resize the window i want open but the big menu of steam is in back and that wont go away so i cant play with an overlay. it says shift tab or click here to close this steam. so i have 2 windows one is the overlay with the info i want to stay on my screen while playing an other is the big steam menu. how can i close the steam it doesnt have a minimize or anything i can see or click on to get rid of that part while keeping the info overlay up

March 2nd, 2015, 6:18 pm #7

Is the Steam menu you're referring to the six black rectangles as seen in the screenshot in the first post? Unfortunately that's all part of the entire Steam overlay, and to show/hide the browser, those elements come and go with it.

The Steam overlay is basically a giant transparent window over GW2, and a faster alternative to ⌘+Tab (switching out of Guild Wars 2 and going back to your desktop). It's the only overlay program I found to work with Mac :|

kittycat
kittycat

March 9th, 2015, 8:18 am #8

oh i see,

i must of misunderstood. i was under the impression that i can have an overlay i see while i play. i do get the first screen shot u have but i cant play unless i close it. i appreciate ur efforts to try an come up with a way to work for mac.

i was trying to use it for dry top events and that would be difficult to constantly go in and out to look at events and timers.

Confirmation of reply: