11:41 PM - Oct 26, 2016 #151

You're welcome. Can you give me a screenshot of what the overlay looks like now, so I can see if anything looks weird.

yin
yin

12:46 AM - Oct 27, 2016 #152

If you need a different size or anything other i can take some more: http://imgur.com/a/swKEp

1:21 AM - Oct 27, 2016 #153

It seems Windows upscaled everything including the browser (doesn't seem like you're using zoom because that would've made the text look sharp).

I hope you are okay with the images looking a bit blurry. In the newer version of the overlay I could add higher resolution images for the buttons (1234AB) so they will not be as blurry.

Thank you for the screenshots.
Last edited by Drant on 1:21 AM - Oct 27, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Nekro
Nekro

7:50 PM - Nov 15, 2016 #154

Ahoy!

I'm currently doing map completion and I've noticed that there's no data for Rata Sum (city). Am I missing something or is there no data at all?

Side note: Thanks for the huge amount of time you've put into this, there aren't that many GW2 apps out there that offer what this offers, nor are they current/up-to-date. Overwolf is a graveyard of unloved apps.

Nekro
Nekro

7:55 PM - Nov 15, 2016 #155

The same with Caledon - no map completion data.

8:28 PM - Nov 15, 2016 #156

I explained the omission in the world completion thread. It's because those zones have multiple floors in a tight space, so adding completion paths would look like a maze in a 2D map. I might add completion route for The Grove, Rata Sum, and the Heart of Thorns maps when I release the 3D version of the overlay.

For now you can use the static handdrawn maps made by others.
Last edited by Drant on 8:28 PM - Nov 15, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Nekro
Nekro

8:52 PM - Nov 15, 2016 #157

Ohhhh, ok! I didn't see that, sorry. Agreed. I'm doing Black Citadel at the moment and some spots are a clusterfuck of arrows. Thanks for the fast reply.

6:15 PM - Nov 21, 2016 #158

My account has been closed because of the use of GW 2 Navi Overlay on Friday.
be careful.

7:56 PM - Nov 21, 2016 #159

Do you have any proof? ArenaNet had praised and promoted the website and overlay, so if your account was indeed closed and unless someone from ArenaNet stated GW2Navi is the reason, you should not jump to that conclusion.

8:14 PM - Nov 21, 2016 #160

Drant wrote:Do you have any proof? ArenaNet had praised and promoted the website and overlay, so if your account was indeed closed and unless someone from ArenaNet stated GW2Navi is the reason, you should not jump to that conclusion.

Sure but the writing is in German
overlay.jpg

9:12 PM - Nov 21, 2016 #161

I posted a thread on GW2's subreddit. If you want more visibility and justification then please use that thread for your discussion.

Edit: An Anet representative responded to the thread, please read it here.
wrote:Now, I cannot in public discuss what the user was actioned for, but it was not the Navi.
-- Dornsinger (ArenaNet)
Last edited by Drant on 10:51 PM - Nov 21, 2016, edited 4 times in total.

8:47 AM - Nov 22, 2016 #162

Drant wrote:I posted a thread on GW2's subreddit. If you want more visibility and justification then please use that thread for your discussion.

Edit: An Anet representative responded to the thread, please read it here.
wrote:Now, I cannot in public discuss what the user was actioned for, but it was not the Navi.
-- Dornsinger (ArenaNet)
I really only used GW2 navi. But how should I prove it.
Thank you for trying to help.

9:34 AM - Nov 22, 2016 #163

I don't know how Anet detects cheats, but if it's like World of WarCraft's Warden then Anet would know what program you were running along with GW2. So it's really Anet who have the proof.

I've never contested an account ban before so I don't know the procedure. I suggest you reply to one of the Anet representatives in the reddit thread so they see your post (and don't lie to them). But since I'm assuming these are US employees, you could submit a new ticket in your language to contest your claim.

Again, they did not close your account because you used GW2Navi. It is because of something else that they did not disclose. Usually it's because people who use actual hacks or bots and try to wiggle themselves out of a deserved ban. If you really did not do anything wrong then I hope Anet does open your account again.
Last edited by Drant on 9:35 AM - Nov 22, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jimpa1986
jimpa1986

9:40 AM - Nov 22, 2016 #164

I am having a minor, but annoying problem. The Windows Taskbar is always showing in front of GW2 while Navi i visible in any way. Why is that? Is there any solution?

Best Regards,
Jimmy Olsson

10:29 AM - Nov 22, 2016 #165

In the video demo I had my taskbar auto-hide property on, that's why you didn't notice the taskbar. Right now when I have auto-hide off, the taskbar shows whenever I click on the overlay or interact with it. I'm ashamed to admit I never noticed this and saw how it could be annoying until now. I will look for ways to hide the taskbar when you have the overlay in focus, if possible.

Thanks for pointing this out.

3:17 PM - Nov 24, 2016 #166

Hello I'm Aeldrik,
I just wanted to say thank you Drant.I will get back my account and the misunderstanding with the support has been clarified.
Thanks for the great tool GW2 Navi.

6:36 PM - Nov 24, 2016 #167

Aeldrik, when you posted that screenshot I did not believe it, because someone else recently had said bad things about GW2Navi without offering any proof. But because customer support did mistakenly blamed GW2Navi for your ban, I understand why you had wanted to warn others.

I'm glad that my program was not the cause, and congratulations on getting your account back.
Last edited by Drant on 6:36 PM - Nov 24, 2016, edited 2 times in total.

1:06 AM - Nov 28, 2016 #168

Hello Drant, I've been learning the past day how to use the overlay and I love it! But I've found a problem when I try to use the resource nodes tool, I maximize the window and set opacity fine without problems but when I click Toggle Terrain the overlay freezes, I'm unable to alt-tab and I can't close the overlay, only way I can close it is by restarting the pc, do you know of a solution, please? Other than that everything else seems to work properly.

1:26 AM - Nov 28, 2016 #169

I've checked it on the Chromium and IE version. I had the Resource Nodes section opened, double clicked the window bar so it maximizes, and right clicked the map to Toggle Terrain. But I was unable to reproduce the freeze you're experiencing.

What version are you using? If the overlay ever freezes or you want to force close it, just open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and close the process called "javaw.exe". You don't have to restart your computer. Is this problem still happening or was it just one time?

2:59 AM - Nov 28, 2016 #170

Drant wrote:I've checked it on the Chromium and IE version. I had the Resource Nodes section opened, double clicked the window bar so it maximizes, and right clicked the map to Toggle Terrain. But I was unable to reproduce the freeze you're experiencing.

What version are you using? If the overlay ever freezes or you want to force close it, just open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and close the process called "javaw.exe". You don't have to restart your computer. Is this problem still happening or was it just one time?
I am using Chromium version and after my post it happened once as soon as I pressed 'Alt', since then it has been working as intended so far, even after pressing 'Alt' so I have no idea what could be causing it to freeze and I tried using the Task Manager to close the process but I can't, it doesn't let me click on anything besides the taskbar.

3:43 AM - Nov 28, 2016 #171

Since we're not sure what's causing, I can only recommend basic things like updating your Java, or update your Windows (version?), or running a fresh copy of the GW2Navi folder (while keeping your current) and see if that still happens. You're saying this only happens when you have the overlay maximized, or what situations cause the freeze?

I think this is the first time I heard the overlay freezing, and having to restart one's computer is really frustrating. If you give me more information I will try to help. Can you give me a screenshot of how you use the overlay?

11:05 AM - Nov 28, 2016 #172

Drant wrote:Since we're not sure what's causing, I can only recommend basic things like updating your Java, or update your Windows (version?), or running a fresh copy of the GW2Navi folder (while keeping your current) and see if that still happens. You're saying this only happens when you have the overlay maximized, or what situations cause the freeze?

I think this is the first time I heard the overlay freezing, and having to restart one's computer is really frustrating. If you give me more information I will try to help. Can you give me a screenshot of how you use the overlay?
It seems it happens when I 'Alt' + 'Left-click' on the overlay and I have to restart the computer if it's maximized but I just tried to recreate the problem without being maximized and froze as well but this way I am able to force close it with task manager because the overlay is not on top of it. Here is an image of the working overlay.

10:56 PM - Nov 28, 2016 #173

From the screenshot, it looks like you also enabled clickthrough (by right clicking the G button). I'm not getting any freeze when I hold Alt and click, whether on the overlay or through it. Can you see if there's any other programs that might use and interfere with the Alt key? If you have another computer, can you test out the overlay on that (don't have to install GW2).

Right now I suggest you just stop using it in maximized size to avoid the freeze. In the future I will release a version of the overlay that displays the maximized projection as opaque objects rather than a "sheet of glass" over your screen, as it is now.

1:13 PM - Nov 29, 2016 #174

Drant wrote:From the screenshot, it looks like you also enabled clickthrough (by right clicking the G button). I'm not getting any freeze when I hold Alt and click, whether on the overlay or through it. Can you see if there's any other programs that might use and interfere with the Alt key? If you have another computer, can you test out the overlay on that (don't have to install GW2).

Right now I suggest you just stop using it in maximized size to avoid the freeze. In the future I will release a version of the overlay that displays the maximized projection as opaque objects rather than a "sheet of glass" over your screen, as it is now.
It does not happen if I hold Alt it's when I press Alt and than click, the only program I have that I use Alt is guild wars itself to toggle action camera, dunno if it can conflict with the overlay. And I don't have another computer for the next weeks so I cannot test it but for now I am using the overlay on the 2nd monitor (without being maximized). Will look forward to that update, you did an amazing job and have a better support than most top companies out there lol Kudos to you and keep the amazing work!

Hey,
Hey,

9:05 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #175

Hey,
Everything working great except for the fact that my taskbar is constantly on show? It's fine until I start up the overlay. Even when I don't have the overlay selected and I'm playing the game as usual it still wont hide. The only way I can seem to get rid of it is by closing the overlay?

Any idea?

Thanks

9:11 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #176

You're playing GW2 on Windowed Fullscreen, right? Does the taskbar always show on top of GW2 even when you don't have the overlay open? If that's the case then it's probably the Windows 10 bug.

If the taskbar is showing over GW2 only when you have the overlay in selected, then that is a default behavior that I will change in the future release.

S7ewie
S7ewie

9:15 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #177

Wow that was quick. Yeah its on Windowed Fullscreen.

No. When I don't have the overlay open the taskbar is hidden as it should be.

I wouldn't mind if it showed only when I had the overlay selected but it still shows when I don't have it selected.

9:21 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #178

I have the taskbar with the auto-hide property on, so I don't notice this. But the taskbar should not ever show up when you have the overlay out of focus (but still on screen).

When the new overlay version is released I'll put a message on the HUD dashboard (where the countdowns and gem store and dailies are) so you don't have to manually check this page.

S7ewie
S7ewie

9:24 PM - Nov 30, 2016 #179

Awesome thanks :)

4:04 AM - Dec 01, 2016 #180

Have you ever thought about porting this to iOS? I think it would be great on an iPad. I realize you have a mobile option, but I'm referring to everything currently on your site as an app. The maps, JPs, achievements, account info, everything.
Last edited by NerdDefender on 4:11 AM - Dec 01, 2016, edited 2 times in total.

4:12 AM - Dec 01, 2016 #181

Why not just use the website on your iPad? The GPS feature (Mumble Link) is Windows only, according to the ArenaNet dev. So to make the GPS work I would have to create a client-server program, with your Windows computer as the server sending GPS data to your iPad client. Currently there are other features on the site and overlay I want to focus on.

6:41 AM - Dec 02, 2016 #182

To those requesting the taskbar to be hidden when you click on the overlay...

I am able to do this, but I cannot figure out how to fix these side effects:
- Scroll wheel does work (so no map zooming, page scrolling)
- Keyboard does not work (so no writing)
- Focus/Unfocus does not work (so no separate opacity levels for when you're interacting with the overlay and when you aren't)
These are critical defects and all of them must be resolved for me to proceed with converting the overlay to this state.

I want to ask, how annoying is it to have the taskbar visible when you interact with the overlay? Again, currently the taskbar should only be showing if you're interacting (have clicked on) the overlay; so if you clicked on GW2, the overlay should still show above GW2, but the taskbar should be hidden behind GW2. Secondly, would you consider permanently setting the taskbar's properties to Auto-hide? Can you "live with it"?

I can still keep researching on this if those requesting it wishes so, but please note this will take away my time from developing other features for the overlay.
Last edited by Drant on 6:42 AM - Dec 02, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Astapor.1246
Astapor.1246

11:43 AM - Dec 29, 2016 #183

Hi i'm sorry for my bad english, but i don't speak the language very well, I tried to used the ap for windows 8.1 x64 and don't work.

It shows me an error saying "Warning options.ini was unable to be loaded!" the same with translation and bookmarks

I hope your understand my poor english

8:19 PM - Dec 29, 2016 #184

You using the "Internet Explorer" or "Chromium" version? Because you have x64, please use the Chromium version.

Put the folder in:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\GW2Navi
so there is no special symbols in the folder name.

Try installing Java again (jre-8u112-windows-x64.exe).

Halfmystic
Halfmystic

8:25 PM - Jan 02, 2017 #185

This thing is great! My wife and I are using it just for the world completion alone. Wanted to tell ya that it's renewed out interest in just completing maps after doing it 3 times already, haha.

8:57 PM - Jan 02, 2017 #186

Glad you both are enjoying it.

Shwindig
Shwindig

7:38 PM - Jan 04, 2017 #187

Hi, I've been trying to get this to work but have had no luck so far. I have the latest versions and updates for IE11, Chrome, Windows 10 64-bit, Java(u112). Both the .bat and .jar files aren't working despite all this. I'll try to be as detailed as possible with my errors.

When I run the .bat file, it opens a command prompt-looking window briefly, then closes. I read somewhere in the last 4 pages that this is normal, but the overlay does not appear in-game.

When I run the .jar file(by double-clicking and Right click -> Open with), nothing happens. No windows opening, no overlay, etc. Just my cursor looking like it's loading something.

When I run the .jar file through the shortcut method in the troubleshooting section, it opens a command prompt window and does this: http://imgur.com/a/4j9Le . Then it closes after a second or two. Still no overlay in-game or anything.

Also I tried running the website on the latest version of IE11 and Chrome. Still nothing, sadly. :( Any ideas on what the problem might be?

9:54 PM - Jan 04, 2017 #188

Edit 2017-03-01:
Download: 2017 version. You can now download or clone the overlay's project folder from GitHub.

If you have been using the beta's Projection mode (3D), here are the changes:
- The knob (big G button) can be clicked on three times:
1st click: Enable clickthrough, so clicks are on the game rather than the overlay.
2nd click: Hide the overlay, so you have a clear screen.
3rd click: Reset, the overlay is shown and interactive again.

- The cursor selection menu can be accessed by right clicking the overlay window bar, or when on Projection mode by right clicking the knob.
- The knob has a function to align it to the left or right side of the screen, to be on top of the website's own buttons for Projection mode.
- The knob can be set to unmoveable so you don't accidentally budge it from its default position. In the Options context submenu you can also make the knob bigger, such as for those with 4K monitors.
- All the known issues with this mode still exists (keyboard, scrolling, performance), but overall it is useable.

Since the project is now on GitHub, I can update frequently without having to upload the entire program. Usually I just update the .jar executable file and options.ini, so you can download those selectively without overwriting everything. To transfer your website settings, copy and paste the old GW2Navi\bin\cache folder to the same but new relative directory.

Here is a beta release (2017.01.04 Win64) of the new version with Projection mode.

Double click "GW2Navi_Start_2D.bat" to run the overlay as you knew, as a window. Try out the new high-visibility cursor feature from the ≡ > Options > Cursors menu.

The new "3D" version ("GW2Navi_Start_3D.bat") is the experimental Projection mode, which displays the website as fullscreen. The overlay menu for this mode is the "knob" that looks like a tilted G logo. You can drag it to move it, click it to toggle the website visibility, and right click to open the overlay menu.

It's a little trickier to interact with the website in this mode, since you'll see both the game and the website kind of interlaced. It's easier if you think the website's elements all as one layer on top of the game layer. To interact with the website you simply click on any of the website's elements, for example a waypoint icon, a map path, or one of its panels or buttons; after you have clicked on a map element, you can use the scroll wheel on it to zoom. To switch back to the game, click on the game where there aren't any website elements in the way. You will notice that the map's terrain is not shown initially; to show the terrain, which will block the view of the game, click on the new website icon on the left or right side of the screen.

The known issues with the overlay's Projection mode is that the Enter key and lots of keyboard keys will not work; the mouse wheel zoom will be inverted, and overall performance will be sluggish compared to Window mode. If you find any other issues or usability problems then please comment.
Last edited by Drant on 4:13 AM - Mar 05, 2017, edited 24 times in total.

4:35 PM - Jan 08, 2017 #189

Drant wrote:To those having problems running the current version (2016.10.05), here is a beta release (2017.01.04) of the new version with Projection mode.

Double click "GW2Navi_Start_2D.bat" to run the overlay as you knew, as a window. Try out the new high-visibility cursor feature from the ≡ > Options > Cursors menu.

The new "3D" version ("GW2Navi_Start_3D.bat") is the experimental Projection mode, which displays the website in fullscreen. The overlay menu for this mode is the "knob" that looks like a tilted G logo. You can drag it to move it, click it to toggle the website visibility, and right click to open the overlay menu.

[snip]
I was having problems with the old client. so I figured to check this out and wow. this is great. little bit of growing pains in usability but I can work with it. I'll use this and beta test it for a while.

Malgane
Malgane

10:56 PM - Jan 13, 2017 #190

Hey there, I'm having the same issue as the guy earlier had. When I have the overlay active, the taskbar shows even if I'm interacting with the game.

Game with no overlay: no taskbar.
Overlay on but fully minimized: no taskbar.
Open the overlay and interact with the game: taskbar stays.

Any idea what could be causing this?

11:27 PM - Jan 13, 2017 #191

I explained that undesired behavior. If I "fix" it, new bugs would pop up. What I've always done myself is have the taskbar to auto-hide. I've provided the alternative overlay mode (Projection) above that doesn't seem to show the taskbar when you interact with the website, so you can try that.

For clarification, here's how the windowed overlay should behave:
Overlay focused (you clicked on the overlay): Taskbar shown
Overlay unfocused but still visible over the game (you clicked on the game): Taskbar not shown

For projection mode:
Overlay "knob" element focused: Taskbar not shown
Overlay's website elements focused: Taskbar not shown
Overlay unfocused: Taskbar not shown
Last edited by Drant on 6:39 AM - Jan 18, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Malgane
Malgane

10:04 PM - Jan 15, 2017 #192

Drant wrote:Overlay unfocused but still visible over the game (you clicked on the game): Taskbar not shown
Ohhh, so for the quoted text to be true, you must turn on Autohide for the taskbar? Understood. Thanks!

10:07 PM - Jan 15, 2017 #193

The auto-hide is just a workaround suggestion, unrelated to the behaviors I stated.

1:52 PM - Feb 11, 2017 #194

Hello!I have a problem,i did everything as its said,but when i start GW2Navi_Start_2D it just pops for 0.5sec and then nothing happens..any support?

7:26 PM - Feb 11, 2017 #195

I need details if I'm able to help you. The version you downloaded is 64 bit only. What version is your Windows OS, and is it 32 or 64 bit, and did you download the correct JRE; try uninstalling, restarting, then reinstalling Java. Does the IE version work?
Last edited by Drant on 7:26 PM - Feb 11, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

12:04 PM - Feb 12, 2017 #196

I restarted the pc and it works now :)

Seventyfive
Seventyfive

4:13 PM - Feb 16, 2017 #197

Drant wrote:There are static maps made by other people that include important waypoints, which I will have to manually convert to this map.
Just curious of these "important waypoint" maps are in the navi yet? I was having trouble figuring out how to get it to work. When I clicked world completion it was just full world completion with no option to exclude hearts and POI's. I have a few alt lvl 80's that only have about 1/4 of the map explored and I would love to get them at least the major waypoints throughout Tyria.

Thank you for all your hard work!

6:05 PM - Feb 16, 2017 #198

The game map isn't like real world maps; there's no additional information like topography or roads. So to draw a route I'd have to do by hand, by avoiding mountains and rivers, and whatever obstacles are between the POIs. The best I can do is add a function to draw a straight line through every POI you have visible for the current zone. I will not make a detailed route just for waypoints in individual zones because the map completion route already serves that purpose (if you look ahead and disregard the non-waypoints).

If you're looking for worldwide waypoints, that is more doable because I'll only have to have to connect a few dozens as opposed to hundreds of waypoints.
Last edited by Drant on 6:05 PM - Feb 16, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Seventyfive
Seventyfive

11:30 PM - Feb 16, 2017 #199

Drant wrote:The game map isn't like real world maps; there's no additional information like topography or roads. So to draw a route I'd have to do by hand, by avoiding mountains and rivers, and whatever obstacles are between the POIs. The best I can do is add a function to draw a straight line through every POI you have visible for the current zone. I will not make a detailed route just for waypoints in individual zones because the map completion route already serves that purpose (if you look ahead and disregard the non-waypoints).

If you're looking for worldwide waypoints, that is more doable because I'll only have to have to connect a few dozens as opposed to hundreds of waypoints.
Hey totally understand. I am even good with a procedurally generated straight line because at least that gives me an idea of where I should be headed. I actually think that's plenty. If I have to go around a cliff or whatever, I can figure that out in game. Is there an easy way to just import a list of waypoints?

11:53 PM - Feb 16, 2017 #200

Double click on the map to lay pins, then you can manually make your own route through each waypoint. Right click on the map then: "Pins" > "Help" for the usage, or "Chatlink" to get the nearest waypoint code for each of the pin. From that same context menu, you can save/load the pins you currently see on the map.

Confirmation of reply: