Chell
Chell

April 21st, 2016, 12:13 am #101

I have been trying about an hour to get this to work. Before I update Java the 32 worked but the map was stars and not an actual map and my system is Win 7 prof IE 11 and Java 8.09 so all up to date all three programs are in program filesx86 same as GW2 but no matter what I do it pops up for half a second and that's it never runs even 32 doesn't work now. I just used the new 80 boost on a toon and want to do map completion and saw this and thought wow that is great but now all the time wasted I could have a section of the map done SIGH

Any help would be great ASAP

April 21st, 2016, 5:58 am #102

You should rollback your installations to whichever that worked (the star map). As I have said to others who encountered problems running the overlay, did you try the troubleshooting?

If you have a 64 bit version of Windows, then download the 64 bit (x64) version of Java, and run the 64 bit version of GW2Navi, and likewise for 32 bit (x86) Windows. The bit version of the overlay program should correspond to whichever Java bit version you installed.

If you manage to get the overlay to run without crashing at startup, that means it works. The blank map of stars you see is because Internet Explorer fails to load the website embedded in the overlay. Try the "Website is not responding." part of the troubleshooting, which is to enable web storage for IE11. If you still see a blank page, then try the Chromium version which does not use IE.

I check this forum regularly, but more often if there's someone who asked a question recently, so please just ask for help rather than trying to get it to work by yourself for an hour.
Last edited by Drant on April 21st, 2016, 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fioletowy
Fioletowy

April 27th, 2016, 1:33 pm #103

I love this app - mega useful and well done

I would like to ask a few questions:
  • Is it possible to change completion route colour to red (or any other more visible on snowy maps)?
  • As I have problem with positioning of app window on top of ingame map is there any presets that will fit perfectly? (by preset I mean window size, position, zoom lv of both maps, saw in on screenshots but can't achieve it)
  • Is it possible to set transparency lv to 100% but leave routs (and maybe player pin) visible? My point is to position it over ingame map and see information from both systems nodes/events/other players (from game) and competition route (from gw2navi)

April 27th, 2016, 7:52 pm #104

I added an input box that you can type in a web color for the paths drawn. This color will not be saved if you reload the website.

I demonstrated how to stack the overlay over the game's map in the video. You'll have to move it manually, then save your preset by right clicking the overlay menu bar > Sizes > Save #. The zoom level for the overlay I used is max zoom-in; the zoom level for my game's native minimap is second-to-highest zoom-in.

The overlay window is basically a resizable web browser, everything you see is one window and there cannot be perfect transparency of one thing while another opaque. The closest I got to implementing this is by hiding the map texture, so only the route and pin are displayed. You will have to tinker with the opacity levels to balance between the game's minimap visibility and the route's visibility.

Thanks for these useful suggestions. Click on the overlay's map and Ctrl+F5 and refresh and get the latest website version.

April 27th, 2016, 9:10 pm #105

Thanks a lot, great improvements,
switch position of draw route to the top is very appreciated (especially on small window sizes)
change of line colour is sweet
somehow I managed to position both maps (I'm not 100% happy with the result, but it's almost, I'll work on it later)
when I hide map I see "dark and starry" background - to bad that there's no way to remove it, but as you said working with opacity level get me close to desired result
again great work, thank you

April 27th, 2016, 9:23 pm #106

I can remove the star background and make it all black (or any fill color). I cannot however make it completely see-through because it's all part of a web browser; analogously, I cannot turn the overlay into a piece of glass, because it's more like a piece of paper that you can spray water on to let more light through.

Edit: I moved the path color input box to the map options popup under the icon. It's an option so it will be saved.
Last edited by Drant on April 28th, 2016, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fioletowy
Fioletowy

April 28th, 2016, 12:14 pm #107

Drant wrote:Edit: I moved the path color input box to the map options popup under the icon. It's an option so it will be saved.
Was looking this morning for that feature :???: tough that there was downgrade/rollback,

what I noticed is that when I place one map on top of other set transparency level to 70-80% and disable background map it starts to lag (navi freeze for 1-5 sec) - I'm not sure if this is related with my machine/internet connection (web refresh) or general problem

I think that solid (w/o stars) background will be better (less distracting) when map is off

Sometimes I need a bigger view, I use preset than which is perfectly fine as I usually place navi above chat frame, but when navi window is in bottom left corner (on top of game map) - window expand right/down and goes way off the screen. Is there any way to expand it up/left?
Is it possible to change opacity level on main (map) window only, with menu bar always 100% visible?
Is it possible to draw a route when map/world completion aren't displayed? What I want to achieve is only red route and my pin displayed on top of ingame map (ingame map will be a little fogy/shaded due to not 100% transparent background)
Is it possible to save window opacity/size/onscreen position (when I load setup1 map is on top of ingame map and almost invisible, while in setup2 map is larger/100% visible/on the left side of screen)?

Sorry for all that question and requests but you know how it works you give us 1 finger we than want the whole arm
Last edited by Fioletowy on September 13th, 2016, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2016, 7:55 pm #108

When you say Navi freezes, are you saying the program stops responding, or the map doesn't move to your current position immediately? There should be a slight jittery when you run in game as the map tries to center on your position every so milliseconds. Make sure you have the HUD (timeline and dashboard) off when viewing the map (Right click map > "Toggle HUD"). Since you're using the overlay mostly for world completion, try the Chromium version modded by another player, which uses Chrome's browser engine instead of Internet Explorer, so it's much much faster. That version is only lacking 32 bit and sound support.

I changed the background to plain black yesterday.

I did not make the resizing function "smart" by making the window aware of the screen edges. So the user is expected to manually reposition the overlay when they resize it outside of the screen. Also, if the overlay repositions by itself (towards the top left instead of bottom right), the menu bar would move away from your cursor, thereby making it inconvenient to do multiple actions on the overlay.

I have tried making the opacity between the embedded browser and overlay frame separate, but they seem to be linked, as setting the embedded browser's opacity only will make it invisible rather than transparent.

What do you mean "when map/world completion aren't displayed"? You can always right click on the map to use the draw route function. If you want to hide the world completion icons then just toggle it from the map display options popup.

I did not include opacity level when implementing the save/load preset feature; it only saves the overlay's size and position. If you want to use two overlays with their own unique configurations, right now you'll have to copy the GW2Navi folder to another folder and run the two separate .jar files. Or you can just have one folder and simply run the .jar twice, to have two overlays running and load your preset for each one. You can save presets by right clicking the overlay menu bar: Sizes > Save or Load that numbered slot.

May 1st, 2016, 7:14 pm #109

Thanks for all te information
I tough that word completion (wp, poi, heart) must be displayed for drawing a route (but seems that it don't)
I'm using chromium version since 1 day (at W10 I can't make gw2navi to work, when I execute jar file IE window is opening asking whatever I want to open or save the file)
By freezing I mean that the map stops following my position (as you said usually I have a hard to notice lag) for sometimes 3 or 5 (rally more) seconds than works again as usual

May 1st, 2016, 9:50 pm #110

The map sometimes not following you is because--according to another player--the game (not the overlay) does not always give your current GPS position.

I do plan to make a workaround, but if it's true that it's a fault with GW2, I cannot really fix it. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Fioletowy
Fioletowy

May 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm #111

Is it possible to draw (efficient) route for WP only?
in the way it is drawn for world completion (the point is to unlock all wp for an alt character)

May 4th, 2016, 5:05 pm #112

The world completion route was drawn by hand by another person. An efficient route has to be drawn manually by a human because we do not have an elevation map (obstacles, cliffs, walls, tunnels) that a computer can use to generate automatically and smartly. Do you just want a route that passes through mountains and walls?

Currently you can generate a list of chatcodes by double clicking on the map and laying your own path, then right click map: Pins > Chatlink. It will accumulate a list of nearest waypoints from every pin you laid.

There are static maps made by other people that include important waypoints, which I will have to manually convert to this map.

May 5th, 2016, 6:49 pm #113

First of all, thank you for all of your hard work. I absolutely love GW2 Navi and recommend it to everyone, including my two RL friends who just started.

I'm personally mainly a WvW'er and use it as a map for one of my other monitors. It's immensely helpful for WvW, as you can imagine.

Will you be updating GW2 Navi to have the Alpine Borderlands instead of the Desert Borderlands now that ArenaNet has brought them back as of Tuesday? I'm really excited to be able to use Navi again.

Thank you very much!

tl;dr: GW2 Navi is great but needs to be updated to show Alpine Borderlands instead of Desert Borderlands.

May 5th, 2016, 7:09 pm #114

I updated the site yesterday, you're probably seeing an Internet Explorer cache version. Click on the overlay, then click on the embedded website/map, then press Ctrl+F5 to hard refresh for the embedded browser (IE) to download the new website version. If you're using the overlay for WvW and don't mind missing the sound alerts, try the Chromium version because it's much faster when you need to use the map.

Remember to change your initial zoom level using the zoom slider from the popup menu (top right corner).
Last edited by Drant on May 5th, 2016, 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

May 5th, 2016, 8:01 pm #115

Drant wrote:I updated the site yesterday, you're probably seeing an Internet Explorer cache version. Click on the overlay, then click on the embedded website/map, then press Ctrl+F5 to hard refresh for the embedded browser (IE) to download the new website version. If you're using the overlay for WvW and don't mind missing the sound alerts, try the Chromium version because it's much faster when you need to use the map.

Remember to change your initial zoom level using the zoom slider from the popup menu (top right corner).
Well, I feel like an idiot. I guess you updated it sometime between me checking and posting which, obviously, I should've checked before posting here.

Just so you know, I use the standalone version of Navi full-screened on one of my monitors that isn't displaying the game and it's the best recommendation I can make to any WvW'er!

Thank you very much for the quick reply, quick update, and amazing work! I don't know what I'd do without Navi!
Last edited by nexja on May 5th, 2016, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2016, 8:10 pm #116

Glad to have people enjoying using something I made (with the help of others).

If you have suggestions then just post it here too.

Shyn
Shyn

August 6th, 2016, 3:27 am #117

I live in China,link to this site (gw2timer.com) Very slow and Instable,How can the whole site offline,All functions can be used。or you can offline the site put in the app(GW2Navi)

My email:shyn_mail@163.com

August 6th, 2016, 3:54 am #118

Hello Shyn.

1. Install web server to:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\xampp
2. Download the offline site. Put all inside folder to:

C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\GW2Timer
3. Open file GW2Navi\options.ini and change "URL_HOMEPAGE" to:

URL_HOMEPAGE = http://localhost/GW2Timer/?mode=Overlay
Site can be offline, but map cannot be offline because it is from ArenaNet server. Reply if you need more help.
Last edited by Drant on August 6th, 2016, 10:56 am, edited 7 times in total.

Shyn
Shyn

August 6th, 2016, 5:10 pm #119

Thank you very much. Has been installed successfully,I will think of other ways to solve the problem of map。
Thank you very much again

Ragin666
Ragin666

August 21st, 2016, 9:18 pm #120

Hi,

I have added maven support to your available sources and the build supports now 2 zip files (1 zip file with a windows executable and one with the classic jar file for mac users (and the necessary text files)).
Also I updated all libraries to the newest version.

If you want to use this version (its much easier to handle and more user-friendly with an executable file instead of starting jars) you can find it under: https://github.com/Ragin666/gw2navi

I hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions you can contact me directly via github.
If you want I can also transfer the branch to your own github account (if you have any). This is much better to use as a google drive download ;).

August 21st, 2016, 9:53 pm #121

Thanks for you interest in the program's source. Currently I'm using Netbeans for the rare times that I do make a new build of the overlay. I did want to turn the .jar into a .exe file but saw that I had to include a version of Java into the download itself, so I just kept it as so.

I couldn't find any executables in your folder, is this meant for developers only? If you want to make an .exe download, I'll add your link to the download post. As for the future, I want to eventually switch to a Chromium engine with audio support, so the source files will be changed a bit.
Last edited by Drant on August 21st, 2016, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragin666
Ragin666

August 21st, 2016, 11:50 pm #122

Netbeans should be no problem because it also has maven support. You only must import it as maven project. I am a IDEA IntelliJ user, so I also checked in the IntelliJ settings.

If you have imported this project you have you latest source code and you can build your own .exe files (so yes, its for developers only, but I also can check-in the "release version" with the zip files.
To run the .exe Java 1.8 must be installed. The size of the .exe after building is 4MB. If you add the runtime the package will be to big (hope this is reduced in in Java 9 with Jigsaw).

If you want to move this project to github I can move it to your account. Then you have a version control / backup and others can contribute code. For interested developers this will be great and you dont have the whole work with that ;).

Try it out. My idea was to help you to get a better support with this project and much more/easier control over the 3rd party libs and the possiblity to make it easy to use (executables).

I tried to import it in Netbeans and it works out-of-the-box. (Team -> Git -> Clone -> URL: https://github.com/Ragin666/gw2navi.git). If you build the project you get the files.
I changed the kind of reading the ini- and textfiles to check also the classpath for that files if they are not in the root-directory. With that this code works well in the IDE and for users.

August 22nd, 2016, 1:18 am #123

I appreciate you trying to make my work easier with the Maven automation, but if you look at the overlay changelog, I've only released 4 new builds over 2 years, and it's not much effort for me to rebuild either.

I added your link to the first post for anyone interested in modifying and maintaining it easier as you intended.
Last edited by Drant on August 22nd, 2016, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyro
Pyro

August 28th, 2016, 5:33 am #124

Hello,

I love the overlay idea, but how do I get it to default to chromium? It keeps trying to use IE8. Thank you.

August 28th, 2016, 6:08 am #125

You're probably using GW2Navi which currently uses IE engine. The Chromium version was modded by another user, you can download it here.

Pyrodeath
Pyrodeath

August 30th, 2016, 12:54 am #126

I downloaded the chromium version, but when I doubleclick the run.bat, nothing happens. Is there a specific directory I need to place the chromium browser? Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!

August 30th, 2016, 1:05 am #127

For the Chromium version, your computer needs to be 64 bit and have JRE Windows x64 installed. What operating system are you on?
Last edited by Drant on August 30th, 2016, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrodeath
Pyrodeath

September 2nd, 2016, 2:34 am #128

Thank you so much for that link!! I installed and now the run.bat opens it up!!! I can't wait to use this all the time!!
:^^:

Nazban
Nazban

September 18th, 2016, 6:04 pm #129

Trying to run this but nothing works! Currently have both JRE 8u101 and 8u102 installed (for x64 windows).

Clicking the executable does nothing, and if I go to /bin and click the .jar file it says "options.ini was unable to be loaded", "translations.ini was unable to be loaded", "bookmarks.txt was unable to be loaded". Moving the .jar file to the base folder with the .exe and .ini files and running it does nothing!

I've also tried running the files as shortcuts with the targets having the java executable in the target as you described in the main post, doesn't do anything. I just get a flash of a terminal and nothing happens!

September 18th, 2016, 6:31 pm #130

To avoid software conflicts you should only have one version of the JRE installed. I'm assuming you have Windows 7 or 10 that's 64 bit? This solution for the Chromium version is: Go to the "Programs and Features" window from the Start menu and uninstall all versions of Java, restart your computer, install JRE 8u102 "Windows x64 Offline", then try to run the .exe. You do not have to move any files to run the Chromium version.

The shortcuts troubleshooting I wrote is for the Internet Explorer version, so please make sure the solution you're trying is for the right version.
Last edited by Drant on September 20th, 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nazban
Nazban

September 18th, 2016, 7:50 pm #131

That worked, thanks! :D

September 19th, 2016, 4:23 am #132

Backdoor Trojan!

September 19th, 2016, 4:37 am #133

I don't know if your intention is to warn other people or to ask for help. If you are interested in using the overlay then you can download the IE version to avoid your antivirus giving false positive with the Chromium version's .exe. I cannot give proper tech support based on two words.

Edit: I found out that the GW2Navi_Win64.exe was causing the antivirus alerts. This file is basically the combination of the shortcut icon and the .bat file in the GW2Navi\bin\source folder. I've now reverted back to using .bat to run the overlay (the file "GW2Navi_Win64_Start.bat"), which should no longer upset your antivirus. The download link is up on the first post.
Last edited by Drant on September 19th, 2016, 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

September 20th, 2016, 1:51 pm #134

Thanks for the newer overlay. I really like this app and be lost without it. I was hoping that you could maybe clean up the bar timer a little though. It gets kind of over cluttered where the green vertical line is at that moment. Just right of that green line you have the text for that row (VB, AB, TD, etc...). Often that text overlaps with whatever the event text is underneath it making it look messy. Perhaps you could move that row header to the far left to just name the rows. If size is an issue, maybe use abbreviations. Maybe color code the various rows and get rid of the names? Maybe add some spacing between the rows and move the name just above the row in between those spaces? Just some thoughts.

September 24th, 2016, 11:56 pm #135

I always hide the timeline when using the overlay, so I don't use it enough to notice the crampedness. I have removed the zone name altogether, since the starred orange event should tell you enough which zone it is, and the name is visible when you hover over a line. I also made the timestamps above toggleable (by clicking the top row) so you can choose between 5 and 15 minutes divisions; the timeline should look much more roomy with the 15 minute spacing. Thanks for the suggestion. Open the overlay's navigation bar and click refresh to download the new web code.
Last edited by Drant on September 24th, 2016, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

citizen059
citizen059

September 25th, 2016, 3:18 am #136

I ran the chromium version on one of my PCs with zero issues.

On the other, when I right click the map, instead of getting the expected right-click menu options, I get a standard windows/chromium style menu with "properties" and "view source" listed.

IE version works properly.

Any suggestions? Everything else about the chromium version works but that.

September 25th, 2016, 3:32 am #137

In the ≡ menu, open "Show Navigation" and click the reload button; that should force the embedded browser to download the latest version of the website. I opened a copy of the overlay and it was using the old script too so the map didn't even load. Just refresh it and it should be fine.

Edit: If you still can't right click to show context menus, then go to the Options page, Map section and checkmark "Ignore touchscreens".
Last edited by Drant on September 29th, 2016, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 25th, 2016, 2:35 pm #138

Drant wrote:I always hide the timeline when using the overlay, so I don't use it enough to notice the crampedness. I have removed the zone name altogether, since the starred orange event should tell you enough which zone it is, and the name is visible when you hover over a line. I also made the timestamps above toggleable (by clicking the top row) so you can choose between 5 and 15 minutes divisions; the timeline should look much more roomy with the 15 minute spacing. Thanks for the suggestion. Open the overlay's navigation bar and click refresh to download the new web code.
I thank you very much for considering my suggestion. On the website version of it though it still has the map's name to the right of the green line on top of whatever text is underneath. The times are spread out though and clickable, showing 15 minute intervals instead.

September 25th, 2016, 5:11 pm #139

The hidden zone name is for the overlay mode only, because
1. I assume overlay users are more experienced with the website so they already know which row is for which zone.
2. Overlay window is always smaller than the screen, so there is less space and needs the compactness more.

The 15 minute division is the default spacing; click that row to toggle and the website will remember your preference.
Last edited by Drant on September 28th, 2016, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sash
Sash

October 3rd, 2016, 9:32 am #140

Hey guys,

Since the last Windows 10 update the taskbar won't hide when I use the app. I focus GW2 after I open GW2Navi but Windows doesn't seem to like Top pinned apps anymore.

Autohide taskbar works, but I don't like it when I don't play GW2.
Is there any solution for that?

October 3rd, 2016, 5:57 pm #141

This is a Windows 10 specific problem that is not the fault of GW2Navi or Guild Wars 2. You will have to wait for Microsoft to fix it, or try workarounds suggested by others. If it's the update that caused it then you could rollback the update if you want.

Sash
Sash

October 4th, 2016, 8:39 pm #142

Ye, rolled back to a previous version because I was getting some BSODs. That fixed the issue and as I suspected it was Windows' fault. :)

October 6th, 2016, 7:45 am #143

I downloaded Java and GW2navi for 64bit. After double clicking GW2Navi_Win64_Start, it didnt show anything

October 6th, 2016, 8:05 am #144

Did you read the troubleshooting section? Please uninstall previous versions of Java, make sure you're installing the right bit version, and there's no special characters like Chinese in the folder directory.

It should briefly show a black window when you double click the .bat file. Are you using Windows 10 64 bit? Can you try the Internet Explorer version and see if that works.

October 6th, 2016, 9:17 am #145

It showed black window and disappear after that. Im using Windows 10 64bit

Hyusky
Hyusky

October 16th, 2016, 3:05 pm #146

When I try to run the jar in Java it says the options.ini, translations.ini, and the bookmarks.txt are no in the programs directory. How do I get it to work?

October 16th, 2016, 6:13 pm #147

Since you're running the .jar, that means you're using the IE version. Is it because you don't have Windows 64 bit? What is your Windows version? Did you try the troubleshooting instructions? It's likely you didn't install the JRE properly. Reinstall JRE or try the .jar instructions at the bottom of that post.

yin
yin

October 26th, 2016, 5:12 pm #148

Hey!

First, i would say thanks for this wonderfull overlay. I been using it since 2 september, and i really enjoy it!

The problem is, i changed screen today, i bought a 4k and now the overlay is really too small on screen T.T I can't use it like that: http://imgur.com/aFqF8t4

Do you know any way to fix it? :/

October 26th, 2016, 6:38 pm #149

From the screenshot, I think you are using the browser zoom feature. Is that working well?

What are the small things you are talking about? The "1234AB" buttons on the top window bar? The popup menu? I can manually make the top bar buttons bigger, but the window menus are operating system based, and there is a problem with the command method.

The solution I found was to modify java.exe (or in GW2Navi case javaw.exe) manifest file so it sets dpiAware setting to false, so that your Windows 10 will set the sizes automatically.

I have done this for you with the attached file below. Go to your Java installation folder and replace the current javaw.exe with this. For me the directory is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_92\bin
The javaw.exe file I modified was downloaded from jre-8u112-windows-x64.exe
If you want you can backup your current javaw.exe file by copy and pasting it somewhere.
javaw.zip (106.31 KiB)
Last edited by Drant on October 26th, 2016, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yin
yin

October 26th, 2016, 11:31 pm #150

Awesome, it works perfectly now, i'll can enjoy it again :love:

Thank you ;)

Confirmation of reply: