Woodward's biggest book since Watergate, I think.

Woodward's biggest book since Watergate, I think.

Rick on ((Bob Woodward))
Rick on ((Bob Woodward))

April 25th, 2004, 3:02 pm #1

Woodward was on Russert this morning. It looks to me like GWBush is the next Nixon, in a sense. Bush will leave office in disgrace or be voted out, overwhelmingly in Nov.

April 26th, 2004, 9:53 pm #2

He still enjoys a fairly widespread support. Even if he should lose the election, it will be very close. And if he wins, there are as yet no black & white issues that could serve to disgrace him.

Rick
Rick

April 26th, 2004, 11:51 pm #3

I thought maybe that not finding the WMDs was pretty bad. You didn't?

April 27th, 2004, 12:33 am #4

there were no WMD, while we said we had different Intel that they were there, then that would put our performance in the disgraceful category.

But some pretty reknowned people seemed to think he had them. Even people among the category of Hans Blix and some of our stanchest European opposition. Pre-War, every world intelligence service of note seemed to be in agreement that Saddam had possessed WMD, and that they were unaccounted for. The disagreement was on how to handle the problem. So I'd have to categorize our belief in the presence of WMD, and subsequent failure to find them, as a mistake, not a disgrace.

Of course what I as an individual think is of little significance to your premise. The reality is, polls show the absence of WMD has had little impact on the American public. THEY don't feel anything disgraceful has happened, so they won't vote him out on that basis.
Last edited by Lloyd_Arising on April 27th, 2004, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.