To CryoNet readers who are cryonicists: Which way will you vote?

To CryoNet readers who are cryonicists: Which way will you vote?

Rick [E L E C T I O N - S U R V E Y]
Rick [E L E C T I O N - S U R V E Y]

October 27th, 2004, 1:59 pm #1

If you're a cryonicist (by any definition), which way will you vote and why?

Updated question for election night and the day after: Which way did you vote and why? (Only cryonicists should answer here, thanks).
I'd like you to comment in this thread, for the benefit of the cryonics community mostly-- but perhaps you'd like to case your vote in this informal poll as well. [+]. I actually don't know which way cryonicists will lean at this writing so this votelet's results should be interesting. Thanks for participating.
Here's a pretty interesting website I've been following-- Berl Sender and Sons [+]
Last edited by recreation on November 3rd, 2004, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mmm
Mmm

October 29th, 2004, 11:42 am #2

Rick
Rick

October 29th, 2004, 1:30 pm #3

There's nothing wrong, from a democracy point of view, with abstaining. Why not just say you abstain? There are millions of abstainers out there. Your absention, however, is indistinguashable from the default abstainer drinking beer, eating chips and watching Mel Gibson's Road Warrior on voting day. That's a nice group to be associated with: At least they're not actively hurting anyone else. Buuuurp! Congrat-- burrrrp! --ulations. We can be said to have 3 political parties going into the election-- Republicans, Democrats and... burp (scuze me).. "abeerstainers". The Abstainers Party could actually do quite well. With your well-supported position, you yourself could be the head of the Abstainers. That's a hell of an idea isn't it? Ladies and Gentlement, I introduce you to the new Leader of the Abstainers Party of American-- "Mmmm". (He mumbles because he has nothing to say).

Mike Donahue
Mike Donahue

October 29th, 2004, 5:35 pm #4

Updated question for election night and the day after: Which way did you vote and why? (Only cryonicists should answer here, thanks).
I'd like you to comment in this thread, for the benefit of the cryonics community mostly-- but perhaps you'd like to case your vote in this informal poll as well. [+]. I actually don't know which way cryonicists will lean at this writing so this votelet's results should be interesting. Thanks for participating.
Here's a pretty interesting website I've been following-- Berl Sender and Sons [+]
I'm voting Democrat this election. As a gay American, I'm very concerned with religious fundamentalism in the White House. Also, the war in Iraq has seriously damaged the US economy with a huge debt burden. We'll be paying for that instead of medical research and space exploration and scientific research and health services and education for many years. As a United States citizen, I'm also against a war in Iraq that has cost over 1000 American lives. Especially since it seems that all the terrorists were from Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty sure the war has something to do with oil. I understand Iraq has the second largest oil reserves in the world. But I still don't think that even as bad a guy as Saddam was to his country was justified, as his country doesn't seem willing or ready for freedom... I understand the historical examples of the evolution of democratic nations have been spurred from change within the society, not from external imposition. As a staunch Republican friend of mine said, sure we can win the war in Iraq, but then what are we going to do with it? Who's going to run the country? The competing tribes have spent thousands of years trying to exterminate each other.

I encourage other liberals to exercise damage control and vote democrat and not green party, libertarian, or for Nader. If you think it won't make a difference, think about the 1000+ American deaths, not to mention the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed- many of them noncombatants.

Mike Donahue

October 30th, 2004, 12:30 am #5

When P. Diddy says to vote, then I know I best make it to to the polls. Kerry gets my vote. As a straight, disabled American, I am also concerned about gay rights. I guess I'm just weird like that.

-Jonathan

Dan
Dan

October 31st, 2004, 7:54 am #6

A vote for Bush is a vote to cancel the 2008 elections due to the "emergency".

Noname
Noname

November 1st, 2004, 12:20 pm #7

I usually vote Libertarian, but it's important to "Fire" Prez Bush, and the only way to realistically do that is to hire Kerry.

The War( s): Too many people inside Bush's staff have come out and said that he came into office with one plan - to get into a war with Iraq, and he used every excuse and lie to drag us into there. He has also presided over the prison scandals which have blackened America's eye across the world.

Healthcare: His stand on the role of religion in government means he's anti stem-cell research, anti-abortion (even first trimester), and via his appointees in the Counsel for Bioethics, anti-longevity and anti-enhancement! He wants to limit the one right a citizen has to curb abuse by ignorant, negligent individuals, doctors, or businesses; the right to sue the pants off of them! He has done nothing to curb the F.D.A. nor to open the U.S. market to cheaper meds from Canada and elsewhere.

The Economy: Like most Republicans, he talks a better game than he plays. Even Reagan, who was one of the more dedicated "limited government" Republicans couldn't muster the stamina to really fight for this once in office. The budgets under Republican presidents has generally been greater than Democrats, and the deficits have grown more under Bush than Clinton. Don't blame the war in Iraq, there was no reason to go there in the first place!

Homeland Security: We are no better off than before 9/11, yet he has presided over the Attorney General's grab for power, the likes of which have not been seen since Lincoln declared martial law over the U.S.

Energy: Unless you're a shareholder of an oil company or Haliburton, you're no better off under Bush than anyone else...

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but I've got to get back to work... Use Donald Trump's line and say "You're Fired" to Bush!

November 1st, 2004, 1:04 pm #8

I used to be a Libertarian, but rejected their platform several years ago. However, I voted for the Libertarian candidate, Badnarik, in order to build the Libertarian party for the future. Only when alternative right wing parties become more visible and viable can the Leftwing Party, the Green Party, become more visible and viable.

So 10 years from now, I hope to see the rightwing parties, the Libertarian and the Constitution Party taking a good ten percent or more of the votes for President away from the Republicans, and then the Lefties will be able to vote for the Green Party without throwing the election to the Republicans. Thus the RIghtwing and Leftwing parties can come into prominence. But it will take time.

So, that is why I, a leftwing, a natural Green Party voter, voted for Badnarik, a rightwinger. In order to build a counterpart for the Green Party for the future!

November 1st, 2004, 1:07 pm #9

a state where Kerry cannot possibly win. If I lived in a swing state, I would have voted Kerry. Also, badnarik, Kerry and Bush were the only candidates on the presidential ballot.

November 2nd, 2004, 6:58 am #10

Anyone that knows me will know for whom I voted. But if you don't then it was Kerry/Edwards,two weeks ago absentee ballot.