The CEO as god

The CEO as god

Late 21st Century Man
Late 21st Century Man

April 26th, 2004, 10:59 pm #1

Marshall Brain has written an incisive critique, based on some Objectivist's foolish essay, about the belief in the near-supernatural powers of CEO's:

http://concentrationofwealth.blogspot.c ... 4557965067

Why don't these free-market ideologues just come out and say that if we don't worship CEO's and ancillary rich people, they will withhold their life-giving "mana" from the earth so that the crops fail, our womenfolk become barren and plagues ravage the land?

Rick
Rick

April 26th, 2004, 11:58 pm #2

This article points out that Apple has 3% of the GUI market that it created. This punctures the myth of CEO God Steve Jobs as a genius. He obviously had a great idea but then screwed up historically. Thanks for a great little piece.

John Grigg
John Grigg

April 28th, 2004, 4:14 pm #3

Marshall Brain has written an incisive critique, based on some Objectivist's foolish essay, about the belief in the near-supernatural powers of CEO's:

Why don't these free-market ideologues just come out and say that if we don't worship CEO's and ancillary rich people, they will withhold their life-giving "mana" from the earth so that the crops fail, our womenfolk become barren and plagues ravage the land?
The entreprenaur as God
April 28 2004 at 9:10 AM
No score for this post John Grigg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if there is a "cult of personality" built around a certain type of person in this nation, it is for the multi-millionaire/billionaire entreprenaur/CEO. A mundane CEO who simply worked his way through the ranks of a fortune 500 company does not qualify for this type of adulation.

People in this country worship at the altar of the "self-made" rich entreprenaur for doing what is seen as the personification of the American dream. Bill Gates may not be a sweetheart but he did build a business empire from the ground up.

But I do think many of the "self-made" wealthy are not being totally truthful in terms of having done it all on their own. Factors such as having had parents who trained and motivated them, wealthy family members who could give a financial boost if needed, good business partners and being in the right place at the right time all may sometimes play a part.

My employer likes to see himself as self-made and to an extent this is true. But growing up in his father's business and being groomed for managerial duties given to him when only in his teens must have been a very crucial factor. Much like Trump, David Pizer took the learning he got from a successful father in business and ran like the devil with it to reach much greater heights.

What concerns me more than the exorbitant salaries or wealth holdings of these people is how they sometimes severely mistreat their subordinates. Based on my own experiences and those I have read about I have to shake my head at the horrible way human beings can be when put in a position of power over others who have to put up with the abuse to make a living. A great arrogance can take hold in the wealthy entreprenaur's heart where he/she actually believe they not only have the right to do these things but that it is a form of entertainment.

I recently read "Throwing the Elephant" by Stanley Bing which is a darkly humorous how-to business guide that discusses how to deal with employers like this by comparing them to huge belligerant elephants. But elephant handling is not something everyone can do.

John

April 28th, 2004, 4:25 pm #4

If God existed in the personified way most people imagine, then God himself would be the ultimate self-made man. Just a funny thought (to me). God started with nothing, and in just 7 days, put together a business empire that spanned the universe--such as it was--creating the universe we're in. He put human beings in charge as managers over all the other operations, so we're actually employees of a sort, reporting the CEO in the sky. It's only a temp job that we have, however, due to death. Cryonicists enjoy being in charge of God's empire so much that we'd like to continue. We don't take kindly to being fired and we'd like to stay on. <font color=#FF0000><br></font><font color=#FF0000><br></font>[<a
href="http://www.network54.com/forum/thread?f ... oDisc<font color=#AA0000></a></font>] is a list of discussions either created by, moderated by or produced by cryoncists. It's nice to
have an alternative to CryoNet.

texas cryo
texas cryo

April 28th, 2004, 10:31 pm #5

....no longer works so well for this modern situation. We gave enhanced social status to those high in the social hierarchy, so that they might pass on their superior genes. But now those social instincts have betrayed us.

What we need is an revolution -- via the ballot box -- against the social hierarchy. Instead of worshipping and reward the successful, we need to elect anarchist leaders who will promise to write and pass laws that allow to try our current and past leaders -- both politcal and corporate -- for crimes against the people.

Then we should execute those leaders publicly. All by rule of law.

We should do this as a symbol of our rejection of the yoke of the pack animal social order.

Then we need to implement a "flat", virtually ahierarchical society.

Rick
Rick

April 28th, 2004, 10:41 pm #6

April 28th, 2004, 10:55 pm #7

....no longer works so well for this modern situation. We gave enhanced social status to those high in the social hierarchy, so that they might pass on their superior genes. But now those social instincts have betrayed us.

What we need is an revolution -- via the ballot box -- against the social hierarchy. Instead of worshipping and reward the successful, we need to elect anarchist leaders who will promise to write and pass laws that allow to try our current and past leaders -- both politcal and corporate -- for crimes against the people.

We should do this as a symbol of our rejection of the yoke of the pack animal social order.

Still sounds pretty primitive to me.

Rick
Rick

April 28th, 2004, 11:12 pm #8

Of course, that's the way they like it... in Texas apparently. Geez. Whoever let them into the union in the first place? Damn.

April 28th, 2004, 11:14 pm #9

Is that the plan?

April 28th, 2004, 11:29 pm #10

...the fry 'em and freeze 'em program, or just "fry 'n freeze'. The problem is the electric shock might damage personality and memory sensitive structures.

http://network54.com/forum/291677
Visit Jonathan's Eschatology Forum, another cryonicist zone!