Slippery slope from assisted suicide to murder.

Slippery slope from assisted suicide to murder.

Rick
Rick

January 20th, 2004, 11:15 am #1

[+] Tim points to another article on assisted suicide. I couldn't seem to get linked so don't know what it was about. However, assisted suicide is a real paradoxical issue. I understand its value to a cryonaut, but at the same time, the application of the assisted suicide laws in Holland are leading to outright murder, according to Wesley Smith, author of "Forced Exit". Related problems have to do with how and when death is pronounced. I must confess that I have not studied this area very closely and it seems to me that it would be worth my while as a cryonicist. It's probably worth all our time to study. We cannot just assume that it's beneficial to have assisted suicide laws in place just because of the cryonics argument. There's more at stake and the thoughtful cryonicist will be interested in those wider societal issues. It occurs to me that it might very well turn out that the only exception to an otherwise moral resistance to assisted suicide would, indeed, be for the cryonautic crowd. The difficulty in describing or enacting such a position has no bearing on its ultimate ethical superiority.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 21st, 2004, 4:32 am #2

Did I miss the part in your post that dealt with the terminally ill person who is in excruciating pain, despite the best drug relievers, and is begging to be allowed to die?

xtrams
xtrams

January 21st, 2004, 11:15 am #3

My vote is with Non E Moose 110% on this.

The Dutch system is, as I understand it, that you must persuade two separate Doctors that your pain is too great to bear, despite medication, and that your condition is terminal.
Only then can the procedure be carried out.
Of course systems can be manipulated, but having watched people and friends I've both admired and loved die of cancer in acute pain I'd take the Dutch system anytime.

As they say "Whose Life is it anyway?"

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 12:50 pm #4

Did I miss the part in your post that dealt with the terminally ill person who is in excruciating pain, despite the best drug relievers, and is begging to be allowed to die?
...then perhaps it would become acceptable to assist the person to get the point where a doctor could technically pronounce the patient so that cooling could begin. Perhaps cryonics would become regarded an important ethical treatment in such cases as a treatment of last resort. The ethical nation-state would finance such cryonics cases, so therefore the nation-state would neccessarily have a policy on cryonics.

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 12:59 pm #5

My vote is with Non E Moose 110% on this.

The Dutch system is, as I understand it, that you must persuade two separate Doctors that your pain is too great to bear, despite medication, and that your condition is terminal.
Only then can the procedure be carried out.
Of course systems can be manipulated, but having watched people and friends I've both admired and loved die of cancer in acute pain I'd take the Dutch system anytime.

As they say "Whose Life is it anyway?"
What about the people who want are not in severe pain, but only depressed? Should we help them to die if they want?

xtrams
xtrams

January 21st, 2004, 3:55 pm #6

Re-Read my comments Rick, Two Doctors, severe, crippling pain, despite medication, and a terminal illness.

I know we've all got a terminal illness, but in this sense it means a severe life shortening malady.

The wider picture is "I WANT TO CHOOSE" not have some pea brained politico do it for me.

There I feel better now.

January 21st, 2004, 4:11 pm #7

...depressed people who want to end it all. Do you believe that anyone ought to have the right to choose to get assistance to die even if they're NOT in agony with no hope of a quality life? Or are you saying ONLY those in agony with no hope ought to have a right to choose?

xtrams
xtrams

January 21st, 2004, 7:58 pm #8

My position is obvious, depression is not a terminal illness like, say cancer.

Wheras the virulent cancer will drastically shorten the persons life, note, drastically, depression may not.
In fact depression, depending on the type, may well be treatable.

The system I favor (Holland) allows checks and balances, as such Doctors support it.

To allow anyone who wants to to just take their own life then they'll have to go to Dignitas in Switzerland where the checks are not so rigourous.

I do believe that everyone has the right to end their life when they want.
However for a meaningful and generally acceptable discussion and implimentation of voluntary euthanasia checks and balances are my preferred route.

It's my life, my choice, yup it really is that simple.

After all I'm only interested in taking mine, no-one elses, unless I love them, they are in agony and medication can't help, and the illness is incurable, if I could help.......legally.....then I probably would.

I'm currently very involved in helping to introduce
just such a method in the area where I live, I think we have a good chance of succeeding within the next eighteen months or so.

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 11:24 pm #9

What state or country are you living in?

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 22nd, 2004, 3:58 am #10

What about the people who want are not in severe pain, but only depressed? Should we help them to die if they want?
Why should you or anybody else be the god to decide what I or anybody else want to do with our bodies, lives and minds?

If the agony is too severe to stand, why should anyone even be thought "wrong" to end it?

If someone is merely daft, doesn't it make sense to let them go right ahead and make a standing-room-only space left on our planet earth, available to be occupied by someone with a little better quality brain?

God bless.