Save your money and time

Save your money and time

William Slade
William Slade

August 3rd, 2000, 5:34 am #1

Does ZMax work? No, it doesn't. After carefully following the directions for the oil, gas, and transmission additives I have come to the conclusion that the only thing that zmax does is to separate you from your hard-earned money.

I have a 1997 Chevy S-10 vehicle with a 4.3L engine. I have had no problems with this engine and change the oil regularly with Mobil 1.

I drove approximately 1700 miles on a trip that I frequently take and kept accurate records of my mileage, gallons of gas used, miles per gallon, and average speed. My average MPG for this trip was 20.03 MPG.

I then had the oil changed and soon after added all of the zmax products to my vehicle following all directions.

Approximately 30 days later, I had the opportunity to repeat my previous trip and kept detailed records again on gas consumption. My mileage for this trip averaged 19.8 mpg over the 1700 mile trip.

During both trips, the conditions were the same... same average speed, no modifications to the truck, same driving conditions AND the EXACT same route, etc.

Where was my 10% increase? Nowhere to be found.
Apparently not many others have had any luck either, as I returned the Zmax to get my money back. I fully expected to be hassled in this attempt, but it appears that many others had also returned it to the same store, based on the comments of the manager, who promptly refunded my money and added my mileage calcs to the stack of other returns.

The only conclusion that I can come up with is that the carrier oil used in zmax or some other solvent in the zmax sufficiently reduces the viscosity of your oil, slightly freeing up the works in the process. Maybe this works on old gummed-up cars, but not on my newer vehicle.

As they say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

WS

Charles McGowan
Charles McGowan

October 30th, 2000, 9:17 pm #2

Did you have any problems after not using the Z-max anymore? How does you truck run now without the Z-max? I am considering getting some but I just am not sure yet. I tried the other's and had motor problems since. I have a 1995 Nissan Altima and I keep the maintenance up on it regular and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I don't have any problems since I brought the car new in 1995, I just want to find out some things about Z-max before I put it in my car..

William Slade
William Slade

November 4th, 2000, 3:50 am #3

It's been about 10,000 miles since I ran my Z-Max tests. Although as stated in my original message, I noticed no improvement in any measureable performance indicators, at this point, it does not appear that using or failing to continue to use the Z-Max product has caused any damage to the engine.

Steven Squire
Steven Squire

December 10th, 2000, 3:51 am #4

Does ZMax work? No, it doesn't. After carefully following the directions for the oil, gas, and transmission additives I have come to the conclusion that the only thing that zmax does is to separate you from your hard-earned money.

I have a 1997 Chevy S-10 vehicle with a 4.3L engine. I have had no problems with this engine and change the oil regularly with Mobil 1.

I drove approximately 1700 miles on a trip that I frequently take and kept accurate records of my mileage, gallons of gas used, miles per gallon, and average speed. My average MPG for this trip was 20.03 MPG.

I then had the oil changed and soon after added all of the zmax products to my vehicle following all directions.

Approximately 30 days later, I had the opportunity to repeat my previous trip and kept detailed records again on gas consumption. My mileage for this trip averaged 19.8 mpg over the 1700 mile trip.

During both trips, the conditions were the same... same average speed, no modifications to the truck, same driving conditions AND the EXACT same route, etc.

Where was my 10% increase? Nowhere to be found.
Apparently not many others have had any luck either, as I returned the Zmax to get my money back. I fully expected to be hassled in this attempt, but it appears that many others had also returned it to the same store, based on the comments of the manager, who promptly refunded my money and added my mileage calcs to the stack of other returns.

The only conclusion that I can come up with is that the carrier oil used in zmax or some other solvent in the zmax sufficiently reduces the viscosity of your oil, slightly freeing up the works in the process. Maybe this works on old gummed-up cars, but not on my newer vehicle.

As they say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

WS
WS,

Thanks for your post, I've been tossing up between switching to either a full synthetic or zMax. Will weigh the costs now and decide. But the last time I switched to Mobil 1 (about twenty five years ago on a BMW 2002tii), I got about a 10% increase in gas mileage. Seems like your use of Mobil 1 already gave you the ten percent zMax was expecting to be able to claim.

Steve

Tom Niehaus
Tom Niehaus

January 10th, 2002, 9:56 pm #5

Did you have any problems after not using the Z-max anymore? How does you truck run now without the Z-max? I am considering getting some but I just am not sure yet. I tried the other's and had motor problems since. I have a 1995 Nissan Altima and I keep the maintenance up on it regular and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I don't have any problems since I brought the car new in 1995, I just want to find out some things about Z-max before I put it in my car..
My 98 Passat had about 92000 miles on it when I put in Zmax. After 1900 miles it had striped out the carbon which all fell to the oil pan, clogging the oil screen
and causing the oil light to come on. Oil pressure was
below 5 psi. It cost me about $470 to have the oil pan removed and cleaned out. The Zmax warranty company denied my claim. I am now ooking for a class
action law suit to join.

brian
brian

February 21st, 2002, 6:18 pm #6

WS,

Thanks for your post, I've been tossing up between switching to either a full synthetic or zMax. Will weigh the costs now and decide. But the last time I switched to Mobil 1 (about twenty five years ago on a BMW 2002tii), I got about a 10% increase in gas mileage. Seems like your use of Mobil 1 already gave you the ten percent zMax was expecting to be able to claim.

Steve
Your best bet is to stick with Mobile 1, its been proven to be very effective and stays clean longer. I tried ZMAX and wasted my money. My 97 explorer had cloged fuel injectors and after using ZMAX it still had the same problem after a week, then I decided to go to a garage and have the injectors cleaned, runs alright now. didnt notice any increase in gas millage or power, but the K&N air filter did a make difference. I just use Mobile 1 10w-30 oil and a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner once every 3 months.

October 31st, 2003, 9:39 pm #7

My 98 Passat had about 92000 miles on it when I put in Zmax. After 1900 miles it had striped out the carbon which all fell to the oil pan, clogging the oil screen
and causing the oil light to come on. Oil pressure was
below 5 psi. It cost me about $470 to have the oil pan removed and cleaned out. The Zmax warranty company denied my claim. I am now ooking for a class
action law suit to join.
I would try CD-2 oil treatment..it's regular oil with some extra additives for cleaning your engine..I feel it's safe and have used it for years in my cars.
If your engine really dirty you might want to change the oil after a few days to drain the gunk out.
Anyway I don't think that it's so strong a cleaner and should'nt make a problem.
My mechanic friend likes to put a quart of automatic transmission oil in the engine to clean it but don't recommend this..I feel it thins out the oil too much.