Roy Walford gone.

Roy Walford gone.

April 28th, 2004, 1:19 pm #1

Steve Harris announced, on Cyronet, that Roy Walford died. He'll be cremated. Gulp. (He was 80).

April 28th, 2004, 1:33 pm #2

As a representative of maximum lifespan-- probably the world's highest profile promoter up until now of living for at least 120 years-- he didn't do too good. 80 isn't even close to 120. Something must be wrong with the calorie restriction theory.

Rick
Rick

April 28th, 2004, 2:16 pm #3

Steve Harris announced, on Cyronet, that Roy Walford died. He'll be cremated. Gulp. (He was 80).
+ Natasha says Walford's privacy on possible cryopres ought to be respected.

John Grigg
John Grigg

April 28th, 2004, 3:20 pm #4

As a representative of maximum lifespan-- probably the world's highest profile promoter up until now of living for at least 120 years-- he didn't do too good. 80 isn't even close to 120. Something must be wrong with the calorie restriction theory.
Rick,

I have heard Walford was in very bad health from a chronic degenerative disease of some type which his family heredity most likely had cursed him with. It may have been that without the CR diet that me might have live ten to twenty years less.

Walford also had claimed his two years in the Biosphere seriously damaged his health because the air there was not properly maintained.

John

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 28th, 2004, 3:26 pm #5

Not necessarily.

Dr. Walford died of complications related to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is not a disease associated with aging (such as heart disase or cancer). Indeed, it usually presents at a much younger age, and it is my understanding that Dr. Walford was incorrectly diagnosed for a number of years, since ALS was ruled out due to his age. I have heard that he speculated that CR may have delayed the onset of his ALS for a significant time.

Stephen Hawking is in his sixties, and is the oldest ALS patient in Great Britain. Roy may well have been the oldest person to have ever died of ALS.

Photon
Photon

April 28th, 2004, 11:46 pm #6

There are evidence that the statins can trigger ALS. I think in the next 10 years there will an epidemic of ALS type conditions. He probably used statins.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 28th, 2004, 11:49 pm #7