For immediate release

March 18, 2004

Walter & Haverfield LLP

216/928-2911

jheer@walterhav.com

PRESS RELEASE

BY MARK AND BOBBY-JO FERRELL,

AND TED AND SAM WILLIAMS

On March 18, 2004, Bobby-Jo Williams Ferrell and her cousins, Ted and Sam Williams, filed a Complaint against Alcor Life Extension Foundation, Inc. in Superior Court for Maricopa County, Arizona. For more than two months, Bobby-Jo and her cousins, as "interested persons" under the Arizona Anatomical Gift Act (”AAGA”), have been requesting that Alcor produce a copy of Ted Williams’ “document of gift” – a document which Ted Williams was required to sign in order to give his remains to Alcor and which Alcor is required to provide under the AAGA. Rather than simply comply with the law, Alcor has repeatedly and unjustifiably denied these requests.

Alcor's continued unreasonable resistance to the requests for Ted Williams’ document of gift leads us to conclude that Ted Williams never consented to his decapitation or his cryopreservation. We look forward to the Court’s determination that will force Alcor to comply with the AAGA and put an end to this needless dispute. If Alcor has Ted Williams’ document of gift, evidence of his written consent to cryopreservation will finally bring closure to Bobby-Jo and her cousins. If Alcor does not have the document of gift, Bobby-Jo and her cousins will consider pursuing other options once that fact is established.

sportzking
sportzking

March 18th, 2004, 4:11 pm #2

Wow another court battle. This will cost more $$$. How is Alcor's budget this year? Alcor could save a hell of a lot of the MEMBERS MONEY if they would just COMPLY with the law, but again that would be something new for them. Wake up ALCOR MANAGEMENT what are you thinking?

Rick
Rick

March 18th, 2004, 5:20 pm #3

...at current "burn rates", as of July 2003, according to Chairman of the Board, Micheal Riskin, Alcor would be broke in 18 months. That puts Alcor in a position of having till Jan. 2005 to exist, financially, in terms of the general operations budget-- AS FAR I UNDERSTAND IT. Disclaimer: I'm only an Alcor member who attended a couple of board meetings and my word isn't the word of an expert. I'm merely outputting what my impression was based on what I thought I heard at the open-to-the-public board meetings, combined with my examination of whatever Treasurer's reports were available.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 18th, 2004, 5:25 pm #4

If that is fact. Wouldn't be smart for Alcor to try and quitely work out their legal problems with Bobby-Jo, Heer and Johnson without causing a whole lot of financial fallout? I mean it makes sense to me.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 18th, 2004, 5:29 pm #5

...at current "burn rates", as of July 2003, according to Chairman of the Board, Micheal Riskin, Alcor would be broke in 18 months. That puts Alcor in a position of having till Jan. 2005 to exist, financially, in terms of the general operations budget-- AS FAR I UNDERSTAND IT. Disclaimer: I'm only an Alcor member who attended a couple of board meetings and my word isn't the word of an expert. I'm merely outputting what my impression was based on what I thought I heard at the open-to-the-public board meetings, combined with my examination of whatever Treasurer's reports were available.
Burn rates are not immutable, cutbacks have already been made, much of that burn rate was for capital acquisitions, and it is almost impossible for alcor to simply "vanish" since the patients are taken care of by the Patient Care Trust, which is not touched and not included in the burn rate you allude to.

Worst case, they have to lay-off staff, cut salaries, and go to a bare bones operation without any R&D or other improvements. They have done it before.

March 18th, 2004, 8:27 pm #6

If that is fact. Wouldn't be smart for Alcor to try and quitely work out their legal problems with Bobby-Jo, Heer and Johnson without causing a whole lot of financial fallout? I mean it makes sense to me.
I don't know a lot about look at how the books are done, but it would be interesting to see how this is being credited and to what account. I don't think the "Patient Care Fund" can be billed for lawyer's fees, but I am certainly no expert. Maybe someday, we'll see online books. That would be interesting.

Texas Cryo
Texas Cryo

March 18th, 2004, 9:22 pm #7

No organization or business will ever do that. And don't forget Alcor has limited resources to be able to do that, anyway.

lurker
lurker

March 18th, 2004, 9:27 pm #8

I don't know a lot about look at how the books are done, but it would be interesting to see how this is being credited and to what account. I don't think the "Patient Care Fund" can be billed for lawyer's fees, but I am certainly no expert. Maybe someday, we'll see online books. That would be interesting.
are online at:

<http://starpas.cc.state.az.us/cgi-bin/w ... ORATION&gt;

Rick
Rick

March 18th, 2004, 10:26 pm #9

No organization or business will ever do that. And don't forget Alcor has limited resources to be able to do that, anyway.
Aren't foundations obliged to have open books? It takes almost nothing in terms of resources to open a free web page and publicly post some of your balance sheet every quarter. That's a start. You act like this way out of line. Alcor is not a private company or a private individual. It's a public foundation. Part of our problem as members is to determine what, exactly, is supposed to be public information and what is to be regarded as not public. I'd like to see someone do a detailed analysis on that. I think the future health of Alcor and our cryonauts depends upon as much openness as the law allows.

Rick
Rick

March 19th, 2004, 12:20 am #10

Here are several interesting bits of information from that site. (How did find it? )

The next annual report will be 4-19-04.

Annual reports online go back to 1994. I wonder where you go for annual reports previous to that, from a public access point of view? Alcor itself seems the only option. But working through Alcor always seems a bit awkward.

I wonder what C T Corporation System is. I've never heard of that. It appears to be associated with Alcor somehow, corporately.