I'm exploring online software for a properly done ring.

I'm exploring online software for a properly done ring.

April 27th, 2004, 7:24 pm #1

I'm currently looking at various online ring software I can use to develop the CryoRing which I intend to use to subordinate CryoNet by making CryoNet just one node on the ring. Cryonics communications won't survive the next decade under Kevin Brown's authority and the ring idea is the ideal solution. It will decentralize Brown's control and improve communications between cryonicists. Brown's Cryonet has come to ignominius end, as we've known it, with the imposition of an automatic evaluation system.

A**Hockey
A**Hockey

April 27th, 2004, 8:04 pm #2

Here are some CGI scripts for webrings:
http://www.hotscripts.com/CGI_and_Perl/ ... index.html

And here are scripts for discussion boards:
http://www.hotscripts.com/CGI_and_Perl/ ... index.html

All you need is a webserver, which could be really cheap to start. Then download and install the script, set the file permissions, and you're done.

April 27th, 2004, 8:28 pm #3

That's a bit beyond my ability right now but thanks for those. I'll be trying to get more up to speed this summer and your help is appreciated.

Rick
Rick

April 28th, 2004, 1:16 am #4

I'm currently looking at various online ring software I can use to develop the CryoRing which I intend to use to subordinate CryoNet by making CryoNet just one node on the ring. Cryonics communications won't survive the next decade under Kevin Brown's authority and the ring idea is the ideal solution. It will decentralize Brown's control and improve communications between cryonicists. Brown's Cryonet has come to ignominius end, as we've known it, with the imposition of an automatic evaluation system.
I've only been experimenting with the idea for a ring, as the reader can determine from the ring list lined at CryoRing. To do a real ring would require participating sites to install HTML code and that would mean they would have to be willing to do that. Some of the sites I've listed may not be willing. In any case, this project might take a bit longer and be a bit harder than I thought at first. Still, I've laid out the basic concept. Someone more computer-able than me could take the idea and run with it and it would probably succeed. If that person is you, just remember-- CryoNet will only be one node on the ring. The idea is to make communications among cryonicists open wider so that we don't submit to the authority of either Brown-- or me for that matter. Cryonicists should have an easy choice as to where they can express their ideas. The other concept I'd like to see in a ring is that CryoRing should be interactive forums. I think that the actual cryonics related websites could be part of another ring, however. The easier and more important task is to include discussions in a ring so that cryonicist can visit the ring of fora in quick succession, getting updates-- as easily as moving from message to message within any one forum like the Cafe or Cryonet. I might actually take a break from this self-assignment for a few weeks now. I can see that I've reached a point where I'm going to have a whole new level of work cut out for me and I'm not prepared to do that yet. For now, I'll just continue to list sites that I think qualify at my CryoRing link.

April 28th, 2004, 3:10 am #5

Here is a cryonics ring already in existence. I don't know if my Cryonics Cafe would be accepted there but I'll try and see it they take me. Cryonet is already a part of that ring!

April 28th, 2004, 3:29 am #6

...discussion forum rings. My CryoRing could be just the first of many. A site or forum would then be members of perhaps several rings, each characterized in a different way. CryoRing will be characterized as a ring of easy to enter discussions, led or moderated by people actually signed up for cryonics.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 28th, 2004, 3:58 am #7

.... ring of rings.

Call it the "Cryo Ring Ring"

Rick
Rick

April 28th, 2004, 4:43 am #8

...I just thought of it tonite. Site owners must be willing to participate in the ring. And I don't think certain cryonicists would want to participate in a ring that I created if I include certain types of sites in the ring. To want to be part of ring, one would want to be sure the ring is something they want to be seen as part of. This is show-stopping thought. It's over-- just as quickly as it began. The ring of rings is very interesting however. Ringmasters would register their rings with the Superring. I'm going to have to reconceptualize this whole thing overnight. It may be as simple as reformulating the idea as a list. CryoRing becomes CryoList. I can unilaterally list links that I think I want on that list. No fuss no muss. That may or may not be equivalent to directories-- not sure yet. It might not matter. I think the ring idea is dead, though. It was fun while it lasted. I still plan to decentralize CryoNet with the CryoList and I still believe that can be done. Maybe I'll call it the Cryonics Discussion List or CryoDisc List, "CryoDisc" for short. That sounds like it might be in the groove.

April 28th, 2004, 1:40 pm #9

This is it for the ring idea. I don't think it's going to work. I think a list works best because it's unilateral and can be imposed. Rings require willing participants. The CryoDisc list (cryonicists' dicusssions list) will consist of sites where cryonicists have created or moderate discussions. See the link in the link bar at the top of the Cryonet Cafe page.