HERE'S THE PROOF THAT IT IS BAD FOR YOUR CAR

HERE'S THE PROOF THAT IT IS BAD FOR YOUR CAR

November 6th, 2002, 5:45 pm #1

Hello,

I saw the commercial on the TV and thought that it was very, very unrealistic. So... I went to Pep Boys and purchase it to see what in the world they are selling in those bottles. I do think that it contains a good percentage of alcohol, and many others here think that as well, so... if alcohol is in these bottles, here's your proof of how DANGEROUS this product is for your car and why they DO work for a little while:

As many of you don't know, in Brazil, for over 4 decades, alcohol has been used as a second choice for gasoline. During all this time all the gas stations in the country have gasoline, diesel and alcohol, and there are 3 types of vehicles there. The ones that run in alcohol, the ones that run in gas and the ones that run in Diesel.

Approximately 35% to 40% of the national made cars run on alcohol, that includes VOLKSWAGEN, GM CHEVROLET, FORD and many others.

Anyway, alcohol is a combustible that will not polute, it runs more miles per galon, and the vehicle is more powerful, plus it is a natural source of combustible, made from sugar-cane.

In the beginning engines made for alcohol would take long to "warm up", corrosion was very, very normal, and the cars would not last too long. Today, after so many years of experience, they came with a special treatment for the engine metal, so alcohol will not destroy it, but that for alcohol engines only, and that is in Brazil only.

Anyway, if you add 96 degree pure alcohool in gasoline car, it will be more powerfull and it will save gas.

When you install zmax in your car, it will save gas, YES it will. It will be more powerfull as well, and it may even clean the engine as they promise, because alcohool is a great cleaning product. As they say, Zmax soaks in to metal, and it is true too, but they don't say that it will be corrosive, and that's why they soak in to metal.

One of the biggest problems in the early alcohol engines in Brazil was the leakeage of alcohool in the oil after corrosion. Can you just try to imagine what alcohool mixed with oil will do to your engine?

Just think about it people, if you have used it once, fine, but don't do it again, or if you want to use, buy alcohool instead and save money...

I am no sure that alcohol is what zmax have inside, I can not guarantee it, but the corrosion of alcohol is true, just look for the history of alcohol engines in Brazil.

Perhaps, I shouldn't be telling you this, but until they start giving the information of what it is that they have in those bottles, it is not a safe product to use in your car.

Would you drink something that you don't know what it is? So why would you put it in your car?

Good Luck!

JoeDoe
JoeDoe

November 6th, 2002, 10:05 pm #2

Well, we all do drink stuff all the time which we really don't know exactly what it is. Coke, milk, even water from the tap, you are always taking a chance, trusting someone, and don't know what all may be in the stuff. I guess I'd be alot more at ease dumping poison, of sorts, into my car than my body. So, I guess my point here is that your logic in your last paragraph is questionable, to say the least. About your previous paragraph(s): You do not know what this zMAX stuff is. Because you and 1 or 2 of your buddies think it is alcohol, does not make it so. It may have some alcohol in it. What I think alcohol in the crankcase would do would be to volatize very quickly after the engine gets to operating temperature...basically it would quickly evaporate. Probably wouldn't do much harm in the short time. You may be comparing apples to oranges by comparing the Brazilian Alcohol Problem with zMAX. Have you tried it? I can tell you I've put it in 2 cars and guess what? No unexplained premature deaths in those autos. And a small increase in gas mileage. See, this is my personal experience, not wild ass guesses and questionable logic. I appreciate your trying to warn us, but most people that read this forum and have tried zMAX, know that what you say can't be all correct. It sounds more like anti-zMAX bias. And if that bias is based in personal experience, by all means, please share it with us!

Just for reference, there was a woman who posted who said that zMAX killed 6 (yeah, 6) of her cars by thrown rod. Yeah, right...

Josian
Josian

November 7th, 2002, 6:49 pm #3

Have you notice that in the instructions they say to put the product and start the car immediately. Have you ever wondered why?

Well, leave the bottle open and see your product evaporate just like alcohool, that is why we think it's alcohool, and not only us, read the forum and you will see that many people think the same way.

I am not a anti-zmax, I am just trying to alert of the consequences that it may cause, just as a good samaritan. You don't have to stop using it, it is not my car, but I have paid for the consequences of using Zmax in my Chevy Malibu, which the corrosion made the oil and gas get together, cause leakeage of the engine and the repair costs were over $1200 for a car that has a trade in value of $4600, and I don't think that this is fine. Now, let ask you, what do you think that caused such a corrosion?

Mobil Gasoline?
Mobil Oil, changed at every 3000 miles?
or a product, perhaps the only product that does not tell you the ingreadients of it, which smells like a very corrosive alcohool?

Might be bad luck, but what can I say... I believe more in history than bad luck, so... that is my opinion, and that is what I am giving to you, just my opinion.

Good luck to you all!

JoeDoe
JoeDoe

November 9th, 2002, 7:04 pm #4

Well, I do like the idea of pouring some into a small open container and seeing how fast it evaporates. I will also try to light it with a flame. Alcohol will burn easily and with a very clear flame. This will be interesting, if nothing else. I have noticed that pouring zMAX on steel does "soak in" and leaves a dark spot as it does so. I may try to see if alcohol does this, also. And, I will try both isopropyl and grain (methanol).

I am still skeptical of what you say. Here's why. Number 1 is that everyone should always be skeptical of what info they aquire though forums such as this. Until you can verify some of the info through other sources, including your own experience, then be careful. Number 2 is, why did you not report your personal engine failure with the Malibu in your first post? Additionally, you use very broad terms in describing your failure mode...something like "corrosion caused the alocohol and oil to mix"...very vague. Please report the EXACT cause of failure. I am very knowledgable (as others reading I'm sure are) of internal cumbustion engines. What was the mode, please? Be specific. Until you can make it add up for me, I am skeptical. But, if you are forthright, please give us all the info, as all of us can use this for making up our own mind.

Thanks!

J. Machanic
J. Machanic

February 23rd, 2005, 6:07 pm #5

Hello,

I saw the commercial on the TV and thought that it was very, very unrealistic. So... I went to Pep Boys and purchase it to see what in the world they are selling in those bottles. I do think that it contains a good percentage of alcohol, and many others here think that as well, so... if alcohol is in these bottles, here's your proof of how DANGEROUS this product is for your car and why they DO work for a little while:

As many of you don't know, in Brazil, for over 4 decades, alcohol has been used as a second choice for gasoline. During all this time all the gas stations in the country have gasoline, diesel and alcohol, and there are 3 types of vehicles there. The ones that run in alcohol, the ones that run in gas and the ones that run in Diesel.

Approximately 35% to 40% of the national made cars run on alcohol, that includes VOLKSWAGEN, GM CHEVROLET, FORD and many others.

Anyway, alcohol is a combustible that will not polute, it runs more miles per galon, and the vehicle is more powerful, plus it is a natural source of combustible, made from sugar-cane.

In the beginning engines made for alcohol would take long to "warm up", corrosion was very, very normal, and the cars would not last too long. Today, after so many years of experience, they came with a special treatment for the engine metal, so alcohol will not destroy it, but that for alcohol engines only, and that is in Brazil only.

Anyway, if you add 96 degree pure alcohool in gasoline car, it will be more powerfull and it will save gas.

When you install zmax in your car, it will save gas, YES it will. It will be more powerfull as well, and it may even clean the engine as they promise, because alcohool is a great cleaning product. As they say, Zmax soaks in to metal, and it is true too, but they don't say that it will be corrosive, and that's why they soak in to metal.

One of the biggest problems in the early alcohol engines in Brazil was the leakeage of alcohool in the oil after corrosion. Can you just try to imagine what alcohool mixed with oil will do to your engine?

Just think about it people, if you have used it once, fine, but don't do it again, or if you want to use, buy alcohool instead and save money...

I am no sure that alcohol is what zmax have inside, I can not guarantee it, but the corrosion of alcohol is true, just look for the history of alcohol engines in Brazil.

Perhaps, I shouldn't be telling you this, but until they start giving the information of what it is that they have in those bottles, it is not a safe product to use in your car.

Would you drink something that you don't know what it is? So why would you put it in your car?

Good Luck!
Years ago I went to an Aircraft Engine rebuilder and he was hypeing Linkite. He said it contained ether not alcohol. That's why you neeed to put it into an engine and run it for 20 minutes. The ether puts oil or what other substance that is in Linkite into the poors of the steel. The either then evaporates. AFter the 20 minutes you will notice that the oil level on the dip stick is at the same point as before you added the Linkite. I suspect Zmax uses the same trick.

E. Reck
E. Reck

March 6th, 2005, 5:18 am #6

Hello,

Good Luck!
Sir, zmax is a pure Microlubricant that does not contain one ounce of alcohol. We had it tested, do your homework.

MechEngineer
MechEngineer

April 16th, 2005, 7:10 am #7

Well, we all do drink stuff all the time which we really don't know exactly what it is. Coke, milk, even water from the tap, you are always taking a chance, trusting someone, and don't know what all may be in the stuff. I guess I'd be alot more at ease dumping poison, of sorts, into my car than my body. So, I guess my point here is that your logic in your last paragraph is questionable, to say the least. About your previous paragraph(s): You do not know what this zMAX stuff is. Because you and 1 or 2 of your buddies think it is alcohol, does not make it so. It may have some alcohol in it. What I think alcohol in the crankcase would do would be to volatize very quickly after the engine gets to operating temperature...basically it would quickly evaporate. Probably wouldn't do much harm in the short time. You may be comparing apples to oranges by comparing the Brazilian Alcohol Problem with zMAX. Have you tried it? I can tell you I've put it in 2 cars and guess what? No unexplained premature deaths in those autos. And a small increase in gas mileage. See, this is my personal experience, not wild ass guesses and questionable logic. I appreciate your trying to warn us, but most people that read this forum and have tried zMAX, know that what you say can't be all correct. It sounds more like anti-zMAX bias. And if that bias is based in personal experience, by all means, please share it with us!

Just for reference, there was a woman who posted who said that zMAX killed 6 (yeah, 6) of her cars by thrown rod. Yeah, right...
Okay, maybe I’ll interject with an entirely different discussion. I ended up on this site as I was looking for testimonials and responses to ZMax before I put it in my car. I had some decent performance Zmax in the past, and wondered if any longer term data should suggest otherwise.

First, I am a degreed mechanical engineer and have a studied tribology (a study that deals with the design, friction, wear, and lubrication of interacting surfaces). Second, I work for a major biotechnology company as a process engineer and work with chemistries and reagents on a daily basis.

What is missing from the discussion of alcohol is something very basic – solutes and solvents. Go search the web or pick up a basic chemistry book and look up what a “solution” is. It’s homogenous fully dissolved mixture of a solute into a solvent. In daily life, sugar dissolves into water to form a solution (until you put too much sugar in, it becomes saturated). But the purpose of the solvent is to suspend the solute so it can be dispensed in a desired concentration. In auto touch-up paints, there is the actual paint color suspended in a volatile solution of tauline (nasty if touched). The tauline (solvent) evaporates almost immediately after the paint is applied to a surface. Similarly, if there is any alcohol in zMax, it’s because the alcohol is the volatile solvent that is used to deliver the microlubricants to the internal engine components.

I admit, if I put alcohol fuel into my engine in a day-in day-out basis for years, it may have a detrimental corrosive affect. On the other hand, there may only be a couple ounces of alcohol in a Zmax bottle, which is burned out of the engine after a couple minutes of the engine running. The alcohol is then gone and the microlubricants remain.

There is no rational comparison of Zmax to running alcohol in engines.