HB2637 passed

HB2637 passed

Maniac
Maniac

March 16th, 2004, 2:16 am #1

Just Passed

I think only about 13 (or 16) members voted against it.

Rick
Rick

March 16th, 2004, 2:23 am #2

The thing has gotten so complicated that I have no idea what a passing of the bill means anymore. Do you?

Maniac
Maniac

March 16th, 2004, 2:24 am #3

Rep Lopez gave a very nice speech before the vote noting that there is indeed scientific journal articles in support of cryonics.

I'm sure Alcor will have something on their website tonight or tormorrow.

http://www.alcor.org

Rick
Rick

March 16th, 2004, 2:30 am #4

This vote was not supposed to be about the validity of cryonics so it's not a good sign that Lopez was having to quote journals on the matter of cryonics. I think we're really going to have to ramp up the religious belief idea. Even IF an idea is NOT scientifically valid, we are free to hold a religious belief, aren't we? I happen to believe, religiously, that if a higher power permits, that my memory and personality are embedded in preservable and reanimatable brain and CNS tissue. This is not going to be a matter of what's published in scientific journals- which most legislators likely don't understand anyway. It's going to be a matter of my personal freedom of expression of religious belief. THAT, that WILL understand, I'm sure-- since they more than likely have their OWN religious beliefs that are NOT scientifically validatable.

Rick
Rick

March 16th, 2004, 4:09 am #5

Just Passed

I think only about 13 (or 16) members voted against it.
I'll be looking to see analysis from leading cryoncists on Cryonet in the morning-- so I hope you all don't disappoint us backbenchers. Thanks in advance.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

March 16th, 2004, 4:42 am #6

The thing has gotten so complicated that I have no idea what a passing of the bill means anymore. Do you?
They are saying that Stump's office says it was not intentional that the amendments were left out (yeah, right), and that it will be fixed in the Senate (yeah, right).

Anyway, Stump is right - it's done and passed now, and the next step is the Senate, where Alcor will have to do the whole battle all over again. And if they lose there, it will become law.

Amazing how this Arizona legislature works. The legislators probably never read what they are voting on - they only listen to a reading of the bill that is so fast no one can understand it (several pages in about 6 seconds). Next, amendments are presented, withdrawn, re-presented, lost, and again uttered so fast no one can understand them. And the legislators vote on this.

What they are really voting on is whether they are in line with whoever the most influential pressure groups are at the time. Few really know what the issues even are, much less what is actually in a bill. After all, their job is to make laws. As many as possible, to justify their jobs.

That's my take on our wonderful gummint at work.

Rep. Lopez sounded like a refreshing exception to the above characterizations.

Rick
Rick

March 16th, 2004, 4:47 am #7

...not true that the reps don't understand what they're voting on and just "follow the leader". I thought that game "Simon Says Do This" was fun when I was 3 but to think that that's how law is actually created is a bit nightmarish. Are we being governed by the equivalent of the Borg? Maybe the City Hall is actually a cube. I ought to drive down there and check to see. Apparently, we're being "assimilated".

Walt Parkman
Walt Parkman

March 16th, 2004, 5:24 am #8

Arizona is unfit for human life. I don't know how you can stand it there. See this link http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/LegalVictory.html
for the single reason Alcor should come back.
The Acoma Drive building would fetch a nice profit and the same crew that moved the patients out will do a fine job moving them back.

Texas Cryo
Texas Cryo

March 16th, 2004, 5:33 am #9

THey could get something out in the desert, east of San Bernardino. Real estate is cheaper there than in Scottsdale, I suspect.

Ray
Ray

March 16th, 2004, 5:46 am #10

I'll be looking to see analysis from leading cryoncists on Cryonet in the morning-- so I hope you all don't disappoint us backbenchers. Thanks in advance.
If you will research very early in this forum's archives you will find a statement I made regarding Johnson's political connections in Arizona. His family settled in Arizona when it was still Spanish territory. I was told this by an individual who does not want to be identified. I am researching this whole matter as a case study I am doing for law school, so I have to be careful and not indentify my sources. Sorry!