Ettinger announces plans for voluntary deanimation.

Ettinger announces plans for voluntary deanimation.

Rick on (((ETTINGER PLANS)))
Rick on (((ETTINGER PLANS)))

April 23rd, 2004, 2:56 pm #1

This thread will look at Ettinger's new post more closely. It's quite an interesting post.

John Grigg
John Grigg

April 25th, 2004, 7:10 am #2

Rick,

I was blown away when I read the statement you refer to. I realize Robert Ettinger is in his late eighties, but I still find it shocking on some level to realize he is preparing for his own death and cryonic suspension. When I care about & respect someone such as him, I find it hard to deal with the inevitability of their demise. The article I wrote in the latest issue of Physical Immortality is in many ways a tribute to him.

And yet just as "old soldiers die and regroup in hell," it is fitting that the father of cryonics should submit in the end to the very treatment he has extolled for decades. And I bet before this century is over, we will have Robert Ettinger walking among us again.

John Grigg

texas cryo
texas cryo

April 25th, 2004, 11:51 am #3

Here is the post by ettinger:

X-Message-Number: 23965
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:49:51 EDT
Subject: deanimation

Mr. Mole mentions deanimation and Oregon as sometimes allowing euthanasia. My
own plans, probably in the not distant future, are along the following lines.

In Michigan suicide is not illegal, although assisting in a suicide is. Also,
in hospice programs the red tape is much reduced. It should only be necessary
to persuade the medical examiner, in advance, to have a representative on

hand when requested, to pronounce death, after assuring himself that the patient
is competent, and waive autopsy. Everything could be set up for the cryonics
team to go to work immediately.

To prepare the way, it might be useful to mount a campaign to educate the
public not only as to the potential benefits to the patient, but also to the
families and public. If the last weeks or months of painful and degrading

deterioration can be avoided, suffering by patients and family will be reduced.
Then
there is the money saved by the taxpayers.

Recently I spent two days in the hospital. That cost the taxpayers almost
$14,000. (It also cost me $7.50, seven dollars and fifty cents.) Meanwhile,

Medicaid is being cut back. (I don't use Medicaid; I use Medicare and Blue
Cross,

with VA also available, all paid for by the taxpayers, my Blue Cross being paid
by the state of Michigan because I am a retired teacher.) Many voters are
likely to believe that this money would be better spent on Medicaid, which is
being cut back to save money and effectively denying much medical help to poor
people, especially poor young people.

I will never go voluntarily into a nursing home. When it looks like I can no
longer take care of myself, it's see you later alligator.

Most of my projects will have to wait until reanimation, if they are then

still relevant. Perhaps the only two projects realistically in the offing now
are
to finish a version of Youniverse and break ground for voluntary deanimation.
I'll probably need some help with the latter.

Robert Ettinger

Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"

[ AUTOMATICALLY SKIPPING HTML ENCODING! ]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Once more into the breach for Robert Ettinger, once more. This dude has been pushing the envelope for 40 years, and now he is gonna do it again. Wow!

If he succeeds, perhaps we should all consider similar plans.

April 25th, 2004, 10:52 pm #4

Or maybe "Cold Filtered", like beer. Hmm, I did a search, and it looks like there's also a band by that name.

April 25th, 2004, 11:11 pm #5

I see that you're fairly new here under that name Epilogos. I wonder if you would consider doing a forum called Cryonet Filler where you are the creator and moderator? I'm not asking that you spend any time at it as I do, but just that you try it by getting a free forum up and letting me know what the URL is so I can put it on the list of CryoRing members. I want to demonstrate to Cryonet readers and users that we don't have to stay with Cryonet, although you would periodically post a link to Cryonet back to your new forum. Would you consider it? Jonathan has and awhile ago, I got Trygve Bauge to do it-- which decreased his noise on Cryonet. I'm trying to get Paul Pugnato and a few others to do it too. Would you do it? Thanks for considering this.

April 25th, 2004, 11:17 pm #6

...so it should be a cinch to create a forum, right? And you know you can already edit your posts here right? I'll just keep reminding visitors that you CAN edit your own posts at Cryonics Cafe if you simply get a free N54 account. I've set it up that way.

April 25th, 2004, 11:18 pm #7

I see that you're fairly new here under that name Epilogos. I wonder if you would consider doing a forum called Cryonet Filler where you are the creator and moderator? I'm not asking that you spend any time at it as I do, but just that you try it by getting a free forum up and letting me know what the URL is so I can put it on the list of CryoRing members. I want to demonstrate to Cryonet readers and users that we don't have to stay with Cryonet, although you would periodically post a link to Cryonet back to your new forum. Would you consider it? Jonathan has and awhile ago, I got Trygve Bauge to do it-- which decreased his noise on Cryonet. I'm trying to get Paul Pugnato and a few others to do it too. Would you do it? Thanks for considering this.
We better put you in cold storage while that senility is still mild.

April 25th, 2004, 11:29 pm #8

Just call me dumb and dumber. Actually, I don't bother tracking eveyone's handles. I grew up in an age when everyone had one name. If you're using Jonathan, why would you change to Epilogus? Don't tell me-- I don't want to know. Every post here that I make, I use "Rick". Using one name, in life, helps people to get to know me. Using more than one name makes me work harder than I should have to, JONATHAN. I note that your email uses "serratedjester". Please consider becoming one with yourself. Thank you.

April 25th, 2004, 11:38 pm #9

Jonathan is too common, they demand unique names. Kinda like how you demand unique and meaningful subject lines!

Maybe I should use my full name, so I don't strain you, eh? I know yer getting old, Rick. So, tell you what, I'll do my best to help you make that transition into the golden years as painless as possible.

April 25th, 2004, 11:50 pm #10

You might want to put a sticky note on your TV, to help you remember.