Do women belong in cryonics?

Do women belong in cryonics?

Late 21st Century Man
Late 21st Century Man

January 20th, 2004, 10:18 pm #1

Considering that the memes for cryonics and immortalism seem to find homes more often in men's brains than in women's, do women really belong in cryonics?

After all, as one of my correspondents pointed out to me recently, the prospect of conquering death immediately throws into question the value of being female. We would no longer need the female version of human bodies and cognition to bear and nurture children just to keep the species in business. I also find it significant that among the few women you find in the cryonics movement, a disproportionate number are child-free, suggesting that the "baby-humger" programming in their brains may not be working.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

January 21st, 2004, 4:20 am #2

Class triple A controversial topic! And don't think you're going to bait me into joining this one, although it is certainly more interesting than the one about hydrogen.

I can see the subthreads now:

Therefore should women be charged more for cryonics?
Should all dewars containing women be immediately recycled for more prudent use of resources?
Is a man without a woman like a fish without a dewar?
Is Mrs. Kent signed up? What is her name?
If we freeze pets, should we not also freeze female spouses, especially if they are good housewives?
Do female cryonics employees receive a waiver?
Are gay males of the "female persuasion" excluded?

Well, I'm outta here before I do join this thread!

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 1:36 pm #3

...Should women even be accepted by cryonics organizations at this time? (Maybe if they were barred from cryonics, for 10 years, more of them would demand to be in! Our women to man ratio would suddenly jump, once the ban was removed, to 10:1) ! Current women in cryonics would be grandfathered in (grandmothered?).

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 3:51 pm #4

Class triple A controversial topic! And don't think you're going to bait me into joining this one, although it is certainly more interesting than the one about hydrogen.

I can see the subthreads now:

Therefore should women be charged more for cryonics?
Should all dewars containing women be immediately recycled for more prudent use of resources?
Is a man without a woman like a fish without a dewar?
Is Mrs. Kent signed up? What is her name?
If we freeze pets, should we not also freeze female spouses, especially if they are good housewives?
Do female cryonics employees receive a waiver?
Are gay males of the "female persuasion" excluded?

Well, I'm outta here before I do join this thread!
I wouldn't have started this thread-- it was that other guy 21cman. It certainly is a dicey topic with lots of potential terrrible minefields. I'm more comfortable arguing with Jerry about hydrogen and oil where just the future of the planet is at stake-- not the wrath of the female human species. That's much too horrible to contemplate.

Late 21st Century Man
Late 21st Century Man

January 21st, 2004, 7:00 pm #5

... wouldn't let the the wrath of "the female human species" stop him from saying what he really thinks about vaginakind. Why should any man care what foolish mortal women think? With immortality, virtual reality, "sexbots" and some other unforeseeable developments, Transhuman men could probabably dispense with the female model of human life and not notice the loss. After all, a sexbot can't get pregnant, complain that she didn't come, give you an STD, sue you for child support, accuse you of date rape, try to change the way you live or play mind games with you about her weight -- unless you were masochistic to program it to do so, I suppose.

I, for one, have never felt that men like women's personalities. We just pretend to as the price of admission for sex and to keep a woman around to manage the household and rear children. Once we no longer need women for sex, baby making, housework and general service tasks in the economy (cashiering, etc.), I suspect the sexes will naturally segregate and the female version will fall by the wayside.

Rick
Rick

January 21st, 2004, 11:28 pm #6

...I might have to run for cover. Wait'll one of them sees that post. Yikes.

Late 21st Century Man
Late 21st Century Man

January 22nd, 2004, 1:14 am #7

A sexbot can't marry you, then announce that she has changed her sexual orientation and now like girls. That happened to a friend of mine, though it's probably not too common.