Dave Pizer updates us on Ventureville!

Dave Pizer updates us on Ventureville!

April 26th, 2004, 5:21 pm #1

The latest post from Dave Pizer, in the queue, updates us on his latest thoughts on Ventureville. I think that there ought to be at least one page in every issue of PI mag dedicated to promoting the concept and where we are so far on the project. Thanks for that update Dave!

April 26th, 2004, 5:43 pm #2

I'd like John Grigg to look at the discussion area for Ventureveill that's been added to CryoRing. The forum I created is only a demonstration or pilot project. I don't think I ought to be the supervisor of that-- I'd like John Grigg to supervise it. I think he could advertise his own Ventureville discussion in PI magazine and that it would generate enthusiasm for the project and membership growth. John if you need assistance in setting up your own forum (very easy to do), email me or phone me. It's an idea whose time has come. You can link your Ventureville discussion, periodically, to CryoNet, with a short blurb about what's new and why Cryonet readers should visit. That way, CryoNet bandwidth is saved AND you'll have supervisory control over what is said about Ventureville, for the most part. Of course, Kevin Brown's supervisory policy would preclude any altering of Ventureville dieas on CryoNet but the idea here is to minimize the content expression on CryoNet, while still providing a link to an area where you can maximize content generation.

John Grigg
John Grigg

April 29th, 2004, 1:06 am #3

Rick,

I am already very busy with various projects and not quite ready to jump into such a project but perhaps down the road.

I appreciate your interest.

John Grigg

Rick
Rick

April 29th, 2004, 1:39 am #4

It's not a big deal-- just a little sideshow where particulars on the project can be talked about in a separate area. I'll tend that garden for the time being. You or Dave or anyone associted with the project can jump in anytime.

April 29th, 2004, 1:21 pm #5

The latest post from Dave Pizer, in the queue, updates us on his latest thoughts on Ventureville. I think that there ought to be at least one page in every issue of PI mag dedicated to promoting the concept and where we are so far on the project. Thanks for that update Dave!
I was sure there was a message in the queue by Dave about Ventureville. Now I can't find it in the archive. It should have been there for th 27th. Any help on this appreciated.

April 29th, 2004, 1:31 pm #6

The last paragraph is the bit about Ventureville:

--
Message #23996
Subject: Not the first case like this
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:53:52 -0700

Ben Best reported: "An elderly CI Member who died of coronary artery disease at the end of March was cremated by a cousin who had signed a Consent/Release form for cryonic suspension. Because the Member was cremated rather than cryopreserved, the cousin will inherit the money that would have gone for cryopreservation. More details can be found in the upcoming issue of THE IMMORTALIST."

This not the first case of this type by far. I remember Alcor had a member who committed suicide and his father did not tell us until months later.

There is a story about a man in very early cryonics who left a large estate. He put in his will that his children could not get their shares of his estate until the man was in suspension. The man was frozen, the children got their shares, then had the man unfrozen and got the cryonics money back

Stories like these are why the Venturists are going to create a retirement community for people to come retire and live among like-minded cryonicists. We are waiting for more capital. If I have to underwrite this community all by myself it will be started in two to four years. (waiting on proceeds from sale of real estate). If others of means want to participate it might get started sooner. I will expect it to make a reasonable return on the investments of the developers. Private investment capital will be used for the development and construction of the real property and the community will be managed by the non-profit Society for Venturism, which I hope will eventually be able to buy out the initial investors.

David

Rick
Rick

April 29th, 2004, 3:54 pm #7

What is Dave talking about here? I think his deal is too complicated. Why would the Venturists buy out something on which some developers have already made their money? I don't get it. Don't we need something a bit simpler? Shouldn't the Venturists own the operation from the start? Maybe the entire concept is flawed. A-2020 simply moved to Scottsdale, rented an apt. and stocked it with cryonics equipmnet while he was dying. Why can't we just scale-up what he did a little bit?

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 29th, 2004, 5:48 pm #8

The last paragraph is the bit about Ventureville:

--
Message #23996
Subject: Not the first case like this
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:53:52 -0700

Ben Best reported: "An elderly CI Member who died of coronary artery disease at the end of March was cremated by a cousin who had signed a Consent/Release form for cryonic suspension. Because the Member was cremated rather than cryopreserved, the cousin will inherit the money that would have gone for cryopreservation. More details can be found in the upcoming issue of THE IMMORTALIST."

This not the first case of this type by far. I remember Alcor had a member who committed suicide and his father did not tell us until months later.

There is a story about a man in very early cryonics who left a large estate. He put in his will that his children could not get their shares of his estate until the man was in suspension. The man was frozen, the children got their shares, then had the man unfrozen and got the cryonics money back

Stories like these are why the Venturists are going to create a retirement community for people to come retire and live among like-minded cryonicists. We are waiting for more capital. If I have to underwrite this community all by myself it will be started in two to four years. (waiting on proceeds from sale of real estate). If others of means want to participate it might get started sooner. I will expect it to make a reasonable return on the investments of the developers. Private investment capital will be used for the development and construction of the real property and the community will be managed by the non-profit Society for Venturism, which I hope will eventually be able to buy out the initial investors.

David
"There is a story about a man in very early cryonics who left a large estate. He put in his will that his children could not get their shares of his estate until the man was in suspension. The man was frozen, the children got their shares, then had the man unfrozen and got the cryonics money back".

This is one of the lowest things I've ever read. Are there ways to sue these kind of people without putting current cryonics providers at risk? I still think a strong case can be made for separation of cryonics service providers and long term storage.