Cryonics true believers, in the Church of Cryonics, are dedicated to the proposition ...

Cryonics true believers, in the Church of Cryonics, are dedicated to the proposition ...

Rick
Rick

March 15th, 2004, 1:44 am #1

...the proposition that human memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain structure. That is the central and solitary tenet of the cryonics religious belief system. The Church of Cryonics accepts people from all walks of life and is compatible with all existing religious belief systems. If you're transhumanist, fine. If you're Christian, fine. If you're Jewish, fine. If you're an athesit-- welll- no. Just kidding. You're okay too. If you're a member of Sun Myung Moon's Church, I don't know about that, but fine, we'll accept you. All that we require is your serious consideration of the idea that your memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain structure-- and then there will be corollories associated with that. The first "prayer" of the Church of Cryonics is the memorized recitation of the central tenet. This is going to be the world's EASIEST religion. You don't have to be signed up for cryonics-- although we'll certainly be twisting your arm and trying to get you in-- in a friendly way. Scott Badger was discussing the lack of a uniform legal definition of religion on the Venturist Yahoo forum so that got me thinking about starting my own religion-- as Scott reminded us Tim Leary said we could do. Tim wrote "Start Your Own Religion". Maybe I'll get a copy of that. Anyway, my attempt will be called The Church of Cryonics". I beleeeve! Hallelujiah! My future frozen soul will one day be resurrected. Amen, brother. Hallelujiah. Praise all Good Things.

March 15th, 2004, 2:22 am #2

"We'll Reanimate Some Day" sung to the tune of "We Shall Overcome".

We'll reanima-a-ate
We'll reanima-a-ate
We'll reanimate, some day-ay-ay-ay-ayyy
Ohh, deep in our brains,
We do believe,
That we'll reanimate some day.

This should be sung in a small group of at least 2 or 3 cryonicists around a candle or small campfire, outside at night, with a guitar player. IT can most easily be done in the key of G. By singing it through 3 times, we invoke a sense of spiritual heightening of our own sense of personal existence. By singing with other cryonicists, we form a spiritual union that synergistically takes on a higher level of resolve greater than the numbers of cryonicists merely added together arithmetically. Singing oxygenates the brain, physically, so everything I said is scientifically explainable. I'll create an audio tape of Hymns for the Church of Cryonics soon that includes this tune to demonstrate how it can be done effectively. May our personalities and memories exist forever and ever. Amen. (The blessing by the Ministers of the Church of Cryonics shall be an infinity sign drawn out with the second finger of either hand, several times over. On special occasions, we shall use sparklers so that a trail may be left behind making the infinity sign very apparent in the dark).

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

March 15th, 2004, 2:55 am #3

...the proposition that human memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain structure. That is the central and solitary tenet of the cryonics religious belief system. The Church of Cryonics accepts people from all walks of life and is compatible with all existing religious belief systems. If you're transhumanist, fine. If you're Christian, fine. If you're Jewish, fine. If you're an athesit-- welll- no. Just kidding. You're okay too. If you're a member of Sun Myung Moon's Church, I don't know about that, but fine, we'll accept you. All that we require is your serious consideration of the idea that your memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain structure-- and then there will be corollories associated with that. The first "prayer" of the Church of Cryonics is the memorized recitation of the central tenet. This is going to be the world's EASIEST religion. You don't have to be signed up for cryonics-- although we'll certainly be twisting your arm and trying to get you in-- in a friendly way. Scott Badger was discussing the lack of a uniform legal definition of religion on the Venturist Yahoo forum so that got me thinking about starting my own religion-- as Scott reminded us Tim Leary said we could do. Tim wrote "Start Your Own Religion". Maybe I'll get a copy of that. Anyway, my attempt will be called The Church of Cryonics". I beleeeve! Hallelujiah! My future frozen soul will one day be resurrected. Amen, brother. Hallelujiah. Praise all Good Things.
I.e., those who believe that memory and personality are preserved not only in the brain, but in the entire central nervous system?

Or will the full-body folks have to form their own offshoot of this new church?

Texas Cryo
Texas Cryo

March 15th, 2004, 3:08 am #4

Mayhap thou be a witch? Prepare the stake!

March 15th, 2004, 3:35 am #5

I.e., those who believe that memory and personality are preserved not only in the brain, but in the entire central nervous system?

Or will the full-body folks have to form their own offshoot of this new church?
A meeting of bishops of the Church of Cryonics would probably regard the CNS as worthy of a possible inclusion in the first prayer. I also have another addition that might be included, as follows:

"We believe, if a higher power permits, that human memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain and CNS structure".

Note that the "higher power" can be interpreted as God or as nanotech robots. By leaving the interpretation open, we satisfy all faiths. Thanks for the idea on the CNS. There is no need to regard yourself as unwelcome at the Church of Cryonics. We understand your need and desire for whole body preservation. The essential feature of our faith isn't hindered in the least by your theory and desire. We will hum a frequency of tonality in your favor tonight. All members of the Church of Cryonics can choose their favorite frequency, like for example 350 hz. Or 5 hz. Whatever.

March 15th, 2004, 3:39 am #6

Brother Tex! Stop! There shall be no need for the stake. We are but mere stake-holders in the grand game of life, and we merely stake our claim to life. And to eat steak. With mushrooms and gravy. Whole body CNS-included memory and personality preservation is a respected way for the Church of Cryonics. There is no difference amongst us. Can't you see that? We are all the same! We believe in functional integrity as dependent upon structural integrity. For all we know, our big toe might be a part of the process of our personality, as doubtful as it may seem to us now. Let us pray together and be hopeful that that is not true, for having stubbed my big toe numerous times, that part of me may not be able to continue forth very much of my memory.

March 15th, 2004, 3:40 am #7

Brother Tex! Stop! There shall be no need for the stake. We are but mere stake-holders in the grand game of life, and we merely stake our claim to life. And to eat steak. With mushrooms and gravy. Whole body CNS-included memory and personality preservation is a respected way for the Church of Cryonics. There is no difference amongst us. Can't you see that? We are all the same! We believe in functional integrity as dependent upon structural integrity. For all we know, our big toe might be a part of the process of our personality, as doubtful as it may seem to us now. Let us pray together and be hopeful that that is not true, for having stubbed my big toe numerous times, that part of me may not be able to continue forth very much of my memory.

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

March 15th, 2004, 8:00 pm #8

Rick, in your newfound faith, have you sworn off deleting messages and locking threads? That's nice but you could at least delete the duplicates, such as your own ...

I found it notable on Cryonet this morning David Pizer suggesting a half hour Church Chat Room about noon on Sundays.

I found it even more notable that shortly after came a message from Mike Perry arguing that Saturday would be a more appropriate day for worship.

Same thing the Christians were arguing about around 030-400 AD, and still do! As the saying goes, "What goes around, comes around."

Non E. Moose
Non E. Moose

March 15th, 2004, 8:04 pm #9

A meeting of bishops of the Church of Cryonics would probably regard the CNS as worthy of a possible inclusion in the first prayer. I also have another addition that might be included, as follows:

"We believe, if a higher power permits, that human memory and personality are embedded in preservable brain and CNS structure".

Note that the "higher power" can be interpreted as God or as nanotech robots. By leaving the interpretation open, we satisfy all faiths. Thanks for the idea on the CNS. There is no need to regard yourself as unwelcome at the Church of Cryonics. We understand your need and desire for whole body preservation. The essential feature of our faith isn't hindered in the least by your theory and desire. We will hum a frequency of tonality in your favor tonight. All members of the Church of Cryonics can choose their favorite frequency, like for example 350 hz. Or 5 hz. Whatever.
It also keeps bugging me for an upgrade to 4.0, but it will have to wait for the Singularity or my next raise, whichever comes first.

Phenom
Phenom

March 15th, 2004, 8:22 pm #10

"It also keeps bugging me for an upgrade to 4.0, but it will have to wait for the Singularity or my next raise, whichever comes first."

If the singularity comes first, you'll be the one asking your computer for an upgrade.