Another new one ... and a Tech link

Another new one ... and a Tech link

SHANN da MAN
SHANN da MAN

August 27th, 2005, 7:14 am #1

Hey everyone,
I've been checking out info on additives and I've found one that no one on this thread has mentioned ... Boron CLS Bond, aka Motor Silk/Lubri Silk, aka Motor Bond. Has anyone tried this stuff? any results - good, bad, indifferent?

John S - Ya gonna try this one for us and let us know what you think?

P.S. - I found this tech link, some good poop, and John, it agrees that Z-Max is the only one(sort of)proven to be worth a crap. (at least not disproven like all the others)
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/additives.html

SHANN da MAN
SHANN da MAN

August 27th, 2005, 7:52 am #2

Hi all,

The link I posted previously is not actually a Tech Link, its an information Link, but it has its own links for actual Tech data.

John S
John S

August 28th, 2005, 4:34 am #3

Hey everyone,
I've been checking out info on additives and I've found one that no one on this thread has mentioned ... Boron CLS Bond, aka Motor Silk/Lubri Silk, aka Motor Bond. Has anyone tried this stuff? any results - good, bad, indifferent?

John S - Ya gonna try this one for us and let us know what you think?

P.S. - I found this tech link, some good poop, and John, it agrees that Z-Max is the only one(sort of)proven to be worth a crap. (at least not disproven like all the others)
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/additives.html
Well, I wish you'd kept this to yourself, but, I do feel some obligation. So, if I can find it, I'll probably force-feed the old 5.3 Silverado another magic elixar. That is, of course, after I drain the last stuff (Xentex?) out with the next oil change...that was a waste, by the way.

Whoa, you'd better be careful about saying that zMAX might actually work...it seems to piss off a few guys out there. Don't really know why, but it seems most of the most perturbed guys haven't ever even tried zMAX...go figure.

SHANN da MAN
SHANN da MAN

August 28th, 2005, 8:43 am #4

I've been digging for info on this Boron CLS (Crystal Lattice Strucrure) additive and although the people selling this stuff claim "up to" 8o% reduction in friction and "up to" 15% increase in MPG all the actual real Tech data from reliable labratory sources (read - not affiliated with the sellers) show an average reduction in plate drag (metal to metal friction) of about 75% and an average increase in MPG of about 3%.

The reason that such a huge reduction in plate drag develops such a small increase in in MPG is that only a very small percent of a drivetrain's parasitic losses come from metal to metal friction. Most friction wear surfaces are suspended by a thin film lubricant (oil) which disburses the shear forces and reduces friction. (I'm oversimplifying, so all you engineers out there are welcome to sharpshoot me)

Anyhow, this stuff still seems to be pretty good on paper. I can't try this stuff myself for at least 6 months (I'm in the Army in Iraq) so John if you would be so kind as to give us a "test drive" evaluation it would be much appreciated.

P.S. - Best price I've found is around $35 a bottle for the engine additive, $20 for the gear or tranny additive.

John S
John S

August 29th, 2005, 2:57 am #5

Looks as if I'll be shootin' another $35 or so and try some boron stuff. And I'd just about given up on this game. Hey, BTW, my hats off to you and all your warrior buddies over there. I've actually got 2 friends over there...maybe 3 now. I don't think all you guys are appreciated as much as reasonable. From one American: Thank You!

SHANN da MAN
SHANN da MAN

August 29th, 2005, 7:25 am #6

Hi all,

The link I posted previously is not actually a Tech Link, its an information Link, but it has its own links for actual Tech data.
This one's a bit old, but still interesting reading.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/snake-oil.htm