A-1234 was 83 in in questionable health-- yet did not move closer to Alcor.

A-1234 was 83 in in questionable health-- yet did not move closer to Alcor.

April 29th, 2004, 1:40 pm #1

I just reviewed the cryosuspension of A-1234. Alcor's site has numerous cases described at their website-- which is fantastic. [+]. The element of this case that boggles me is the fact that A-1234 was 83 and in questionable health-- yet did not move closer to Alcor. I don't get that. Why would she live in a nursing home in CA? Why not live in a nursing home near Alcor HQ? She was apparently a longtime member so there was lots of time to think about this. She wasn't a last minute case signed up by a relative. And I'm continually boggled by the prevalence of the desire for anonymity. A-1234 requested anonymity according to the paperwork, but it seems to me that anonymity is still a default condition. I still haven't figured out my own paperwork in that regard. Quite frankly, it's a bitch to get it done because my last set of forms to update that aspect required two people to witness my signature, and to give their SS numbers. Nobody wants to do that, understandably. Anyway, A-1234 had plenty of time to move closer to Alcor. Jerry Lemler wrote something about having learned more about local standby from a case in the past few years-- I forgot the reference-- and I was interested in A-2020 from that point of view. It seems to me that the most critical phase of a suspension that easiest to fix (no new tech) is to create a local residence for cryonicists. The medium long term includes Ventureville, but it just seems to me that something more local and small scale ought to be easier and faster.

Photon
Photon

April 29th, 2004, 8:38 pm #2

Maybe she ran out of money and could not afford it. Many people at that age get quickly wiped out by medical bills. At 65 your medical insurance stop. Medicare does not pay much. Most people will become poor if they live long enough.

April 29th, 2004, 9:50 pm #3

Sometimes emotional needs trump practical considerations.

Rick
Rick

April 29th, 2004, 11:07 pm #4

...that we have zilch in terms of emotive care when it comes to local standby.

Rick
Rick

April 30th, 2004, 1:53 am #5

She may have been poor, but that doesn't mean she had to remain anonymous. How the hell are we supposed to do case studies if members keep "preferring" anonymity?