Noodle Romanoff Like Stouffers

Gary Solomon
Advanced Member
Gary Solomon
Advanced Member

03 Jan 2008, 21:56 #1

Noodles Romanoff that tastes like the old Stouffer's® frozen Noodles Romanoff

Into a pot of boiling salted water, add

4 ounces (110 grams) of dry uncooked Long Fettucine style egg noodles (these are typically sold in packages of 12 or 16 ounces in the U.S., so just use 1/3 or 1/4 of a package, respectively).
Cook the noodles until they are al dente. While they're cooking, get out the smallest oven-friendly casserole dish you have. (For complete authenticity, it should be a disposable oven-safe plastic dish, like the one that came in the old Stouffer's® package, but good luck finding something like that without a prescription.) Grease up the bottom and inner side-walls of this casserole dish with
One pat (around a half a tablespoon or 7 ml) of butter.
When the noodles are done cooking, drain them, and put them in the casserole dish. Then, set your oven for 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190°C) and put a cookie sheet or a layer of aluminum foil on the middle oven rack. While the oven's heating up, to the noodles in the casserole dish add
1/2 cup (120 ml) of sour cream (lowfat or fat-free sour cream also works for me)
1/4 cup (60 ml) of nonfat milk
1/4 cup (60 ml) of lowfat cottage cheese
2 tablespoons (30 ml) of Kraft® grated parmesan cheese food (from the tall green container)
2 tablespoons (30 ml) of flour
1 tablespoon (15 ml) of corn oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) of soybean oil (a.k.a. vegetable oil or salad oil)
1/8 teaspoon (½ ml) of onion powder (I suppose you could use actual onions instead, but I'm morally opposed to vegetables).
1 drop of red food coloring, and 3 drops of yellow food coloring (the real, genuine Stouffer's frozen Noodles Romanoff used "sour cream substitute" instead of sour cream, and this "substitute" included beta carotene for color)
Stir the contents of the casserole dish until it's nice and homogeneous, breaking up the larger chunks of cottage cheese as needed. When you're finished, sprinkle some
paprika
onto the top of the noodles. Cover the casserole dish in a layer of aluminum foil. (A see-through mylar cover with a hole slashed in it to vent would be more authentic, but I think private citizens need a special license to purchase that stuff or something.) Place the foil-covered casserole dish onto the cookie sheet or layer of foil in your 375°F (190°C) oven. Bake for approximately half an hour or until the contents sizzle.

Gary Solomon
Advanced Member
Gary Solomon
Advanced Member

17 Mar 2012, 15:38 #2

Do you have a review of this recipe?