Creamy Tomato Soup - I am not a fan of Tomato

Creamy Tomato Soup - I am not a fan of Tomato

Shunick
Advanced Member
Shunick
Advanced Member

08 Jan 2008, 14:16 #1

"Tom S. I am not a fan of tomato soup, but this recipe caught my eye. The preparation of the tomatoes is quite different and intrigues me. Garnish with a slice of toasted Francese bread from ACE bakery." ACE PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE AT MY SUPER FRESH STORE.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Tomato Soup

Recipe By :Source: Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen via http://savorynotebook.blogspot.com/2005 ... chive.html

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
56 ounces whole tomatoes -- 2 each 28 ounce cans
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar -- light ok
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium leeks -- white and light green parts, halved lengthwise, washed, and sliced crosswise into thin strips
salt -- to taste
1 tablespoon tomato paste -- double-strength (the kind in the tube)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg -- grated
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth
cayenne pepper -- to taste
4 slices bread -- toasted; for garnish; ACE's Francese would be great

Move an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 475 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Drain the tomatoes in a strainer set in a bowl to collect the juices. With your fingers, carefully open the tomatoes, one at a time, letting the juices and seeds drop into the strainer. Place the seeded tomatoes on the foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and roast until the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes are just beginning to color, about 20 minutes. Discard the seeds in the strainer and reserve the juice in the bowl. You should have about 2 1/2 cups strained tomato juice.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the foaming subsides, add the leeks and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the leeks have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and nutmeg and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Whisking constantly, add the vegetable broth until the mixture is smooth (without lumps of flour). Add the reserved tomato juice and roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer to blend the flavors, about 10 minutes.

Puree the soup in batches (or use your stick blender!) until perfectly smooth. Return the soup to a clean saucepan and adjust the seasonings, adding salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Warm and serve, or refrigerate in an airtight container for several days and then warm over low heat before serving.

Description:
"Tom S. I am not a fan of tomato soup, but this recipe caught my eye. The preparation of the tomatoes is quite different and intrigues me. Garnish with a slice of toasted Francese bread from ACE bakery."
Source:
"Copied by Tom Shunick - A Receptarist on the shores of Rehoboth Bay, DE - January 8, 2008"
T(Cook/Bake Time):
"0:20"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : ACE Bakery's Francese Bread: Flavoursome white bread with a chewy interior and crisp crust. Terrific layered with grilled vegetables and cheese as well as a perfect match for soups or salads.

Shunick
Advanced Member
Shunick
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2008, 17:13 #2

I made this today for dinner tonight. I have tasted it at least 50 times. Love it. I used Cento Brand San Marzano canned tomatoes (I get them from the local Super Fresh). Added about 2 T sugar. I do not intend to puree the mixture as I am very pleased with the texture the way it is. Will serve along with grilled Genoa Salami and Swiss Cheese sandwiches on seeded rye with a little bit of caraway seed sprinkled over the cheese before grilling.

Gary Solomon
Advanced Member
Gary Solomon
Advanced Member

16 Jun 2008, 20:57 #3

Okay then. I am going to try this soon. It looks mouthwatering.

Gary Solomon
Advanced Member
Gary Solomon
Advanced Member

17 May 2009, 23:59 #4

I am ashamed that I have not tried this yet because it looks so good.