Asparagus Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard with seeds
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garnish: carrot curls, orange wedges
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the asparagus pieces and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until bright green. Be careful not to overcook.
3. Place into a strainer and rinse under cold water. Drain well, and refrigerate until needed.
4. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, sugar and the zest from one orange.
5. Drizzling the oil into the orange juice mixture, whisk briskly until thick.
6. Stir in the cumin seeds.
7. Immediately before serving, drizzle the dressing over the asparagus pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with carrot curls and orange wedges.